Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    We didn't, but we did consider local school district reputation in selecting a place to live.

What I learned is that just because a district has a good reputation, doesn't mean it's good for your kid.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Dude
    We didn't, but we did consider local school district reputation in selecting a place to live.

What I learned is that just because a district has a good reputation, doesn't mean it's good for your kid.
    Agree with this statement. Moved a few times as a kid and my mother said the higher the schools ranking, the less it was willing to accommodate my brother & I.

A
    A
    We bought in the best school district (based on academic performance) and DS went to the top rated school in our district for K. We thought we had a done deal. And then we found out that it did not matter how good the school's API scores were and how many enrichment activities were paid for by the cash rich PTA. My DS was not learning anything new to him. Gifted services do not kick in until 3rd grade and differentiation made a very small impact to his school work. We pulled him out and now commute to a private school. We pay property taxes for other people's kids to get a quality education smile But the good thing is that my property value has held up because of the stellar school district.
    That being said, I have identified the middle school and high school that we would like for DS and will buy and move near there when he gets to that age.

OP, my son is in his 3rd school at age 6. I suggest that you commute to your school of choice before you make your decision to move.

Originally Posted by Dude

Yep.

One (of the many) factors that went into our house purchase was the school district. While it would have been a great fit for a normal to mildly gifted learner, they were not equipped to deal with a highly gifted - high achiever. Luckily there is a private K-5 only a 10-15 minute drive away, and open enrolling to the more accommodating district next door for middle and high schools has kept us from needing to relocate.

If we had to, we probably would have bitten the bullet and relocated elsewhere.

--S.F.

For gifted children, doing nothing is the wrong choice.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM