Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 36 of 102 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 101 102
    C
    C
    ElizabethN, That was a good one.

B
    B
    They don't make oobleck in the first grade?

We live in a bubble here.

Sorry your son had to deal with that. frown

Originally Posted by chay
    In DS7's science class they are talking about solids, liquids and gases. Yesterday the teacher had ketchup, mustard and syrup and they were talking about which would flow the fastest and what changes the rate that liquids flow. DS's contribution to the discussion - hit it. The teachers were puzzled so DS said, well if it is a non-Newtonian fluid it will behave like a solid when you hit it and it won't flow. The teachers then looked even more puzzled and said there was no such thing. I feel kind of bad for his teachers. The curriculum doesn't prepare them for the stuff he's learned on youtube.

Last edited by Mark Dlugosz; 03/23/14 09:55 PM.
    ... when you talk your 9yo into her first guitar lesson in almost 2 years, and the first thing she wants to work on is the Imperial March from Star Wars.

... and when you find out the reason she'd been avoiding the guitar is because, as she'd progressed from string to string, she'd decided she couldn't reach the top one; that's it, done. Perfectionism much? Errr... maybe just try arching your fingers like that.

So maybe we won't be seeking out a piano teacher this summer after all.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    On the guitar front: when your 2.25yo picks up a Rock Band guitar control, sings an original song he made up on the spot called, "Happy Mummy Guitar", and declares proudly, "I'm playing pizzicato."

I guess that takes care of instrument selection for when he takes lessons down the road!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    C
    C
    These are what I am impressed by my son and thing that he may be gifted,

1. When my 2yrs old son asked me what is the English name of a 15-sides polygon, I checked it out and told him that it is called 'pentadecagon', then he shout happily: 'pentadecagon, hexadecagon, heptadecagon, octadecagon, nonadecagon' and i have to check it in wiki plus he is not a English speaker.

2. When my 2.5yrs old follow the step of LEGo menu designed for 7+

3. When my 2.5 yrs old write numbers in reverse order from 200, write odd and even number from 0-200, and keep writing for more than an hour.

When your 5 year old insists he read the next chapter of Harry potter book 3. (He's already read Stewart little, Charlottes web and Indian in the Cubbard)

When you buy grade level workbooks (3 months worth) and they're finished in a couple days.

Your 5 and 7 year old are proud to take a pencil with 50 digits of Pi to school on March 14th.

The science center staff know your kids by name and always pick them for on stage demos.

Your kids routinely score 30-50 points higher then what is required for 99 percentile (map test) and the teachers stare in awe as the kindergartener blows through word problems and multiplication.

When you're trying to teach at grade level math to kids in 3 grades ahead of your own kids and they are completely lost...but your kids picked it up in one night.

When your 5 year old watches tutorials on Lego.com and the next day proceeds to build that item block for block with not direction booklet.

Second grader has to reassure his class there are actually FOUR states of matter. Aka plasma. (Makes you wonder where they find these teachers!)

C
    C
    Your DD10 is going to someone's house for 2 hours and packs 5 books. When told just bring 3 and decide when you get there which one to read, she says "but I might not read any, I just like having all of them there with me" (laying her cheek on her prayer-folded hands with smile that speaks love and delight)

Chana, I'm very familiar with that look. laugh Not to mention the behavior. Any car trip longer than 5 minutes requires a book.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Any car trip longer than 5 minutes requires a book.

...or iPods, or music THEY'VE chosen. We never hear the end of it when DH and I pick the songs!

E
    E
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Any car trip longer than 5 minutes requires a book.

You can avoid the book on trips under 5 minutes?

Page 36 of 102 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM