Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    The LEGO ed NXT is more expensive than the retail version b/c it comes bundled w/ the chargeable battery. If you go this route, be forwarned that many of the books which give building instructions (BIs) for robots, don't include the rechargeable battery which adds extra thickness to the NXT Brick so you might have to modify a few designs or else just switch to regular batteries for that particular model.

I see. So the package selling for homeschool use does have a battery? The link is from the Lego education site. I didn't see that in the description. This is a little confusing, where can I get more detailed descriptions. If we are going to spend the money, what's a few more bucks for the battery, I guess. Sorry for being pesty, I'm like a dog with a bone, I know..

Yes it does, on the 2nd line it says "rechargeable lithium battery and charger" http://www.legoeducation.com/store/detail.aspx?pl=6&ID=1303&c=0&t=0&l=0

It also comes w/ an extra touch sensor as well as converter cables for using legacy sensors (those from RCX system).

I'm almost certain http://www.legoeducation.com/store/...=1467&c=1&t=0&l=0&bhcp=1 is the same as the above, just the software (which by itself costs $49. That software is NOT the same as the software for the NXT brick. THat software is called NXT-G. the plane old NXT LEGO ed kit Z979797 for $260 does NOT come w/ software since they are assuming a site license. You can buy the single user software license of NXT-G for $69.

Confused yet?

that's hwy I say call your local LEGO Ed rep and have him/her send you a catalogue...much easier.

Ahhhhh, thanks!
    I think you have me in the right direction. I will get the catalogue.
    Me, confused? Slightly, but I do some of my best work when I'm confused.

Thanks again,
    Neato

To everyone here, I can not stress enough to call your local LEGO Education rep and get a catalogue.

There is so much more in it. If you like Kelly's Mayan Adventure, he wrote 3 more mysteries for the classroom but done equally well at home called Mystery Warehouse part 1, part 2 and part 3.

There is a new set coming out "Gearing Up for Programming and Engineering" "Gearing up for the International Space Station" "gearing up for the Mars Madness" and "Gearing up for the Return to the Moon." There is a NXT competition (FLL) book, a Compass experiment book. there is "Physics by Design" which uses Robolab (not NXT-G) and RCS and NXT to look at physics concepts. Eric Wang has a new one which NXT only "Engineering w/ LEGO Bricks and Robolab" the unofficial guide to Robolab. Robolab was thought to be on it's way out w/ the RCX but then LEGO ED upgraded it. It's a graphical interface similar ot NXT-G, some think it's more robust and easier to use.

On the science end of things, there is the Motorized simple machines kit w/ activity pack to guide you; the Elementary Engineering 1 and 11 workbook and teachers guide to go along w/ the MOtorized simple machines. There is the "Big Picture: Pulley's/wheels and axles teacher pack" for use w/ Motorized simple machines. there is also one for gears/levers.

Another book i'll likely get now is "Brick Layers II" this book is written to be used w/ LEGO Motorized simple machines. explore areas of mechanical engineering through simple and and structural engineering as they look at the special properties of certain shapes that make them useful in construction (level: intermediate to middle school).

OH I totally forgot about this. If you want to get your feet wet w/ these LEGO simple machines kit, try the LEGO KLutz kit for $19.99. I got mine at Barnes and Noble. it's a 60pc set and you make some cool gizmos.

Is it the Lego Crazy Action Contraptions?

I've really been interested in this thread because I think my DS7 would absolutely LOVE the NXT but I'm afraid to try it because of the expense. Something like the simple machines kit might be a great place to start and I wanted to make sure I found the right one. Thanks!

Yeah, I think my biggest problem will be spending too much money.

Yes that's it!

I hate you guys b/c you made me re-open my LEGO Education catalogue....now I'm about to spend more money after I just bought the Zome stuff you all talked me into getting.

Thank you!!!

If I know 100% that my kids would LOVE the NXT, I would get it. But I've been burned before by something I thought they would LOVE and then they didn't. This is just too expensive for me to be wrong.

If you have any other cheaper suggestions for those just starting out, I'd love to hear those too!! smile

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM