Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 34 of 102 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 101 102
    Your dd9 handles her AoPS work with adroit aplomb and only minutes later is happily engrossed watching some inane and completely vacuous 'puppy' film called Super Buddies (I could barely tolerate it myself).

Become what you are
    M
    M
    Your 24 month old receives a gift-wrapped stuffed animal and before opening the package, proceeds to squeeze and release it while shouting " look mama, it's a LUNG!!!", and breathing in and out in exaggeration to make sure we truly get it..

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    ...Your 2.25yo makes up his own language, uses it consistently (as well as the proper English word), and makes puns in it. For example, when in a silly mood, DS calls a large tendril of hair a "bumpable". He started imagining the hair as a sausage on a hot dog bun and declared it a "bunpable". He thought this was a great joke and ran over to tell it to Daddy, too!

...You find yourself conversing with your child in the made up language!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    ...Your 2.25yo makes up his own language, uses it consistently (as well as the proper English word), and makes puns in it.
    Oh, Aquinas, this is so funny and ummm...VERY familiar!

We recently visited a school with DS3, and I had to remind him to speak English instead of [insert his name]ish and introduce himself with his real name instead of character du jour.

Last edited by EmeraldCity; 03/03/14 10:15 AM.
    grin

... when you have to seriously limit your teen's caffeine intake. Why? Because excessive amounts... release the muse within... in which case it becomes VERY difficult for her to pretend to be normal. She turns into the "oracle" for (her terms) the Incan Lemur God. He speaks through her... and has ideas like Hamlet, the musical. It's like the Delphic Oracle, but-- er, different. blush

Of course, when she takes the brakes off like this, her brain works so fast that she is downright astonishing in her productivity, but it's like placing a Tiger into an airline crate intended for a poodle. Bit of a mismatch at this point in time, even in AP classes. I've quite literally never encountered another person like her.

I wonder how painfully tight-fitting her "normal" suit must be, having seen underneath it in these glimpses of furious intellectual passion. shocked

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by EmeraldCity
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    ...Your 2.25yo makes up his own language, uses it consistently (as well as the proper English word), and makes puns in it.
    Oh, Aquinas, this is so funny and ummm...VERY familiar!

We recently visited a school with DS3, and I had to remind him to speak English instead of [insert his name]ish and introduce himself with his real name instead of character du jour.

That must have been both hilarious and unnerving, EmeraldCity. How did the visit go?

This is exactly why I'm reluctant to have DS tested early. I can fully envision him messing with the tester, answering in some sort of coded joke, and getting zeroes across the board as a result. I have a feeling it will only intensify!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    E
    E
    Aquinas, sent a PM to you about the visit.

M
    M
    I'm glad I'm not the only one whose child changes names daily (hourly?) and generally renames everyone in her vicinity as she goes..

C
    C
    In DS7's science class they are talking about solids, liquids and gases. Yesterday the teacher had ketchup, mustard and syrup and they were talking about which would flow the fastest and what changes the rate that liquids flow. DS's contribution to the discussion - hit it. The teachers were puzzled so DS said, well if it is a non-Newtonian fluid it will behave like a solid when you hit it and it won't flow. The teachers then looked even more puzzled and said there was no such thing. I feel kind of bad for his teachers. The curriculum doesn't prepare them for the stuff he's learned on youtube.

Z
    Z
    lol, I can so see that scene.

Page 34 of 102 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM