Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    2 members (jenjunpr, aeh), 161 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    We have finally submitted our application for Davidson Academy of Reno and would very much appreciate hearing from any family who has gone through the application process or is in the process now.
    Also any parents with kids presently attending Davidson we would love to hear more specifics on how you feel the school is meeting your needs.
    Thank you in advance for whatever you can share.

We applied earlier this fall and it took about 2 weeks after the application review date for the month to hear back about whether or not DD was invited out for an assessment day.
    One piece of advice I would give you is to be sure to look for the email stating that your application is complete before the due date. We hadn't gotten one and when we checked with Davidson about it we found out that they didn't have everything. It was quickly cleared up and the entire application was found in time for the review, but if we hadn't called to check, we wouldn't have been reviewed the month we had hoped to get reviewed in.
    If your child is asked out, I would recommend doing the practice assessment. DD found the two English practice pieces to be helpful in decreasing anxiety of knowing what to expect. As far as the math part goes, what grade are you hoping for admittance into? Our DD was given a math test that covered material she had done a couple of years ago, as well as material that she had skipped in a grade skip, so she did not do well on the math portion of the assessment, which was all basic math skills (DD is a 7th grader now)
    DH went with her to the assessment day and said that the information given was very useful. I had gone with her to the family summit last year, so I had heard some of what they said then.
    It was within 2 weeks of her assessment day that we heard the results. She has been accepted! smile So now we just need to find jobs so we can relocate. wink
    Hope this is helpful. I would also love to hear from anyone who is/was a Davidson family to hear from an insider how things go.
    Good luck!

P
    P
    We have not gone through the DA application yet, but we do live in the area and my husband is a teacher, so if you want any info on relocating in general, please feel free to pm me. Congrats

Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    Thanks Kerry and congratulations. I would like to ask you a few more questions specific to the your experience thus far so I will PM you and perhaps we can talk more that way.

L
    L
    Very Very Helpful ! Thank you so much ! Good luck and would love to hear about how everything is going !

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM