Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    OP Offline
    Signed DD (just turned 9) for the Art of Problem Solving pre-algebra I course and have been working alongside DD on the prep for lesson one with the book to get her used to the new format (finished SM5 a year ago).

I have to say that I wish this had been around when I was a kid! Really gets the reader thinking about the most efficient and therefore 'easiest to compute' (my quotes) solutions from the first page!

Here is a quote from RR on the genesis of AoPS books that I will share because I am sure that it will resonate with many here...

We started the Mandelbrot competition at the end of my first year of college and we ran into a little bit of a problem with the competition because the tests were really hard and the scores were pretty low. We had to make a decision as to whether to dumb down the tests or try to teach the kids. We did something that’s a little novel in American education -- we opted to teach the kids. That’s where this started.

Last edited by madeinuk; 02/24/14 06:56 AM.

Become what you are
    M
    M
    sounds like you have found a good fit! I hope it continues to impress - please give us more feedback the further into the course you guys go!

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    madeinuk, that quote so warms my heart.

I would love to clone people like that. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    I'm excited that AOPS exists and plan to use it to teach my son when the time is right. Thanks for sharing, and do keep us posted. Success stories are precious treasures.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    B
    B
    Looking at this AoPS online it looks like a resource I have been looking for the past few months to help my son in Algebra II. Anyone have a clue if we can START in the Intermediate Algebra text?

S
    S
    There's an assessment you can take to determine which level you should join.

Also, for younger kids, there's Beast Academy, created by the same guys.

B
    B
    I didn't see the assessment, I tried sending an email to see what they would recommend. Looking at it further the Intermediate Algebra text is supposed to be for those who have finished Algebra II.

I was only thinking of buying the books, not signing up for a class. I assume this is possible? My husband & I should be more than capable of helping our son with the material.

Last edited by bluemagic; 02/25/14 11:22 AM.
    S
    S
    Scroll down this page, and you'll see "Are You Ready?/ Do You Need This?" -- That's the assessment. You could use the assessment to determine which book to buy, regardless of whether you sign up for the class.

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/School/classlist.php#cd_prealgebra1

Last edited by syoblrig; 02/25/14 11:47 AM.
    B
    B
    Art of Problem Solving got back to me. They recommend the Intro to Algebra Book (it's Algebra I & II) or Introduction to Counting and Probability. The first because it lines of up with his Algebra II material. The Counting book because it's material he won't have seen before but should be ready to handle.

I decided to order both. I expect that my son will enjoy the Counting and Probability Book better. He's one of those kids who doesn't seem the purpose in 'relearning' something. But I suspect the Algebra book will be a better book to him study for his tests.

As I am looking at this as supplemental, and my husband & I should be capable of answering questions I wasn't planning on signing up for any classes.

I just noticed they have online computer programming classes? Does anyone have experience with their child taking their programming?

Last edited by bluemagic; 02/25/14 01:55 PM.
    M
    M
    My ds now just 11 went through the book when he was 9 also. We didn't take the class. He moved at a good clip and finished in about 4 months. We had a tutor, a very nice kid, a senior at the local high school come to our house once a week to answer any questions and just chit chat. They ended up finishing a bit early most times to keep up with their perpetual game of chess.

The tutor was a wonderful experience, kind of a peer mate that my ds lacked. They had the tendency to get off topic from time to time.

Last edited by mecreature; 02/25/14 02:33 PM.
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM