Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    The logic problem site is wonderful and completely addictive!! Thanks Dottie!! Our family plays a card game called Flux a lot, although at seven my son started to outgrow it a little. We fell in love with it when DS7 was five. It is a high paced card game where the goal to win keeps changing each time a player discards. You might have a winning hand and then, oops, the goal changes before it is your turn again. They also make several versions of the game, such as Eco-Flux, which has a science/ecology bent to it. It is slightly more advanced than the basic Family Flux card game and teaches science at the same time.

Any other suggestions on how to pass the summer days?
    ebeth

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    I will have to try the logic site too. I have been looking for the game Qwirkle since last Christmas. I saw it in Mind Ware magazine and it was a Mensa selection and it looked like so much fun but I've been unable to find it. Until today!!!! Anyone else played this before? It looks really fun and I'm going to try it out in a little while. smile

Last edited by EandCmom; 06/17/08 02:21 PM. Reason: can't type
    We have Qwirkle and love it. Amazon used to have it, if that's any help...

I scored a mastermind game for a buck at a yard sale this weekend. I grew up with that game and love playing it with DS. I'm also addicted to his Rush Hour game! I think I play it more than DS does...

Jool I used to love mastermind too! Haven't played it in awhile though. We tried Qwirkle and it is really a neat little game. (I also got a Wii Fit today - very, very fun!!!) smile

Do you play Rush Hour online?

Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    How do you know she feels different? Has she told you this, or are you seeing it in her behavior? What does she say about it? Are there any other explanations for what you're seeing/hearing? Is it possible you're attributing feelings that she doesn't have to what you're seeing/hearing?

I'm not saying she doesn't feel that she's different. I know your DD tends to try to fit in, and that may suggest that she recognizes her differences and is ashamed of them. But to avoid putting thoughts in her head that she might not yet have, I want to suggest that you might want to be sure that you're not projecting what you see onto her. You may see her as different, but she may not yet recognize her difference in the way that you're thinking she does, especially if she hasn't talked about it with you.

Have you celebrated her difference with her? She may be a kid who needs a little healthy bragging from you to feel good about her abilities. That would be social death for some kids who already think too highly of themselves, but if your DD is feeling out of place, then talking her up to herself might be what she needs to feel better about herself. I'd just be sure to praise effort, not just ability or outcome. Specific praise is also good, rather than universals.

But I could certainly be wrong...

Hi Kriston,

I know she feels different because I asked her some time ago, but I think you may have a big point in that I project part of myself into her. I think I am partially dealing with my own unresolved issues about feeling 'different' and never knowing why.

About the bragging... I think I will take the opportunity when I am in Spain because there it is socially more accepted. Here... definitively not!

Well, I can always brag to my Mom when I speak to her by phone... smile

Well, I was thinking about bragging *to her* about how great she is. That can be done privately, so there's no social stigma there. Poor choice of words on my part. Sorry! blush

I think there might be at least a little projecting there. I know how very worried you are about her, and rightly so. It's so hard, isn't it? As if parenting weren't difficult enough...

smile

K-

Kriston
    EandCmom, Rush Hour online? I didn't even know it existed! I'll have to check it out. Haven't tried Qwirkle either, but I like saying it...

I have another question related to this topic:

Tonight I was talking with a friend about my concern that DS has a rather high opinion of himself. I don't want him to be ashamed of being smart, but I don't want him to be rude, either. My friend advised me to talk to him and tell him that it is rude to talk about being smart. She says I will be doing him a favor, that it will help him be well-liked. I see her point, and in some ways I agree with her. But I am afraid that the nuances of this may be lost on a five year old. I don't want him to hide his intelligence so as not to be rude. But I don't want him to be too braggy, either. It seems like a delicate balance and I'm not sure how to communicate that to him.

He has really begun to notice just how far ahead of the others he is. I want him to feel proud of his accomplishments but also to have a realistic self concept. I don't really want him to define himself as "smarter than everyone else" because ultimately he will discover that isn't the case.

Any advice on how to find a balance with this issue would be welcome smile

Well since he's 5 and very intelligent I think you have a good chance of helping him understand this without hurting his wee little pride. smile
    I would suggest you wait until he is playing with some other five year olds and pay attention to when one of the others does something totally obnoxious, including, but not limited to bragging. Since they are five, you shouldn't have to wait too long. wink
    Then just unassumingly pull him aside and quietly talk about what the other child did and ask him how he felt about it. Especially if DS concurs that this child was not nice and he didn't like it, wholeheartedly agree with him.
    Then kind of casually pipe in about bragging(not just about being smart, it could be bragging about anything) and remind him that he doesn't like hearing it from other children, so they probably feel the same way if he were to brag about (insert recent example.)
    Gently. This way you can use a normal 5 year old scenario as a learning example, but the finger is pointed at another child so it's less ego-defeating. smile
    The key is to make sure it's done very quietly and to the side, so none of the children become to embarrassed. blush
    I've found with DD5 that I need to repeat this excercise many times, cry but with DD8 she's usually good with only one attempt.
    I hope this is helpful.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM