Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 147 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore, Ross Kious, Alishaniche
    11,419 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #182333 02/17/14 10:53 AM
    H
    hnz1979 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Since the school meeting since Friday I have been suffering from anxiety and illness. How can such a bright child appear so average? I'm not pursuing anymore school anything at this point. The kindergarten is an awful building with horrible management, many problem staff and overcrowded classes. No physical activity all day due to weather and temps is a disaster for most small kids. I'm ready for the year to end.

However I am thinking about the meds and the comments by the staff. Ds is on Quilivant 4ml. We notice that on the meds he is calmer and his mood is improved. We even lessen the dose on weekends because, well, he doesn't need the larger dose. In class he isn't always in task at carpet time, but was 12 out of 15 intervals. He does talk too much and is out of his seat to throw away papers, get tissues, talk to teachers etc.
    However since he works well independently and is learning very well so I am happy. I don't think I higher dose of the Quilivant is a good idea because we already see a reduced appetite an more frequent loser bowel movements. He can't get an IEP or any special sensory activities, and they have never implemented any heavy work activities. So should we add a med? Is there a nonstimulant that helps children with acute senses?

I checked into Brain Balance Centers and the integrated therapies but on top of a two hour drive it is $6500 a month. I'm beyond frustrated. The brain is too plastic for there not I be some therapy that could help this. Maybe not make it disappear, but could help!! I'm beginning to think resistance is futile.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by hnz1979
    How can such a bright child appear so average?

If it's 2E, no problem, happens all the time. The hard thing is getting anyone to see it.

I'm not pursuing anymore school anything at this point. The kindergarten is an awful building with horrible management, many problem staff and overcrowded classes. No physical activity all day due to weather and temps is a disaster for most small kids.

Can you go somewhere else?

However I am thinking about the meds and the comments by the staff.

I would never adjust a dosage on the basis of school staff comments alone, though I would take their data and observations to our prescribing doc and ask her opinion.

In class he isn't always in task at carpet time, but was 12 out of 15 intervals. He does talk too much and is out of his seat to throw away papers, get tissues, talk to teachers etc.
    However since he works well independently and is learning very well so I am happy.

Does that include social learning? Can he self-direct to follow instructions?

I don't think I higher dose of the Quilivant is a good idea because we already see a reduced appetite an more frequent loser bowel movements.

Have you talked to the prescribing doc about these issues? There are lots of meds out there, and they all work slightly differently.

He can't get an IEP or any special sensory activities, and they have never implemented any heavy work activities.

If there is a need, they should be meeting the need. If the data show that any special accommodations are necessary, there should at least be a 504 plan.

Is there a nonstimulant that helps children with acute senses?

Ask your prescriber.

I checked into Brain Balance Centers and the integrated therapies but on top of a two hour drive it is $6500 a month.

No science behind what they promise; I'm skeptical.

P
    P
    FWIW, I totally second *all* of DeeDee's reply smile

Originally Posted by DeeDee
    He can't get an IEP or any special sensory activities, and they have never implemented any heavy work activities.

If there is a need, they should be meeting the need. If the data show that any special accommodations are necessary, there should at least be a 504 plan.
    [/quote]

hnz1979, I think you mentioned in an earlier post that your ds is going to have a 504 plan (or already has one). The things you've mentioned above can all be provided as part of a 504 plan. You can also try to think of ways your ds could work sensory-helps into his classroom routine without having to request it or having to be pulled out for them. Maybe let him know that if he's frustrated it's ok to get up and carry a big stack of books from one place to another. Granted, the teacher has to agree that's ok - but it's that type of thing that worked best when advocating for sensory breaks for our sensory dd in early elementary rather than trying to convince the school to write up formal accommodations.

Best wishes,

polarbear

H
    hnz1979 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    To dee dee and polar bear. 504 is in the works. Here's basically what we are getting: extra time for tests/breaking up testing, fewer problems if he can't get work finished, emphasis on a good teacher child match, possible fidget toys and tactile toys.

Based on the schools academic sensory eval they sad his needs are primarily tactile/hand activities. No heavy work to be implemented.
    Since he is working well independently and generally finishes his work, they don't wont do much.

He does have issues with instructions sometimes. He starts certain activities before instructions. Personally, it's the environment that causes the majority of issues. Yes, he has some attention issues. Yes, he gets frustrated. Yes, he starts prematurely. However remove the distraction, get him to look at you and give him directions he does fine. I suspect he could also have an auditory processing issue, but we can't test for another year. At home there are much fewer issues with work. He doesn't get up when he is doing homework. He can sit and paint or eat dinner and not leave his chair. Little squirmy but nothing ridiculous.

There is no alternative school. We have discussed moving to a neighboring district where classes are 20 and under. That would help with noise, distraction and give more time for one on one instruction.

I do think I will call the doc. For what it's worth he felt the first IQ test was wrong and was reflective of his choices. The doc feels his smarter than the scores an he's been super supportive.

I wish they would give him "projects" studying a science topic, constructing things while incorporating math and geometry, accelerated reading. Oh well. Maybe one day he can prove himself, maybe the time just hasn't come?

IF you've looked into Brain Balance Centers, have you looked into neurofeedback?

My ds8's 2e and in neurofeedback, though not for ADHD. It can help with sensory issues, self-regulation, and ADHD. My son was born with severe SPD and had 5 yrs of ot.

Neurofeedback is being seen as an alternative to medication. There was an article in the Boston Globe today - http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyl...-adhd/ZdwuUpkjycA5OBQVvX282K/story.html. Of course, schools don't have neurofeedback machines or training, though they should.

IF your son has issues with instructions and attention, have you taken him to a behavioral or developmental optometrist? Visual processing issues can cause attentional, sensory issues, and make many kids feel/seem less bright than they are. Vision therapy can really make a difference here - especially if others think he's smarter than the scores reflect. Ds8 was also born with visual deficits and is vision therapy now; neurofeedback is also helping with it too. Apparently, it's common for visual processing skills to lag with gifties.

H
    hnz1979 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    We do have prism lense glasses. He is supposed to wear them in class. He acted very bizarre at the dr visit. It was hard for the doctor to tell if he ha issues but she suggested the prism lenses. Wether they have him wear them? Who knows they do only what is easiest and with 24 children invludinh several with special needs?

D
    D
    We do have prism lense glasses. He is supposed to wear them in class. He acted very bizarre at the dr visit. It was hard for the doctor to tell if he ha issues but she suggested the prism lenses. Wether they have him wear them? Who knows they do only what is easiest and with 24 children invludinh several with special needs?

HNZ, making sure they have him wear his glasses all the time would be another item to put into the 504!

H
    hnz1979 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    I'm going to add that when I speak to the school counselor! Good thought!

D
    D
    Really, make a list of everything that is driving you bonkers that is related to the disability. Then make a list of how you think those issues should or could be addressed. Bring that list to the 504 meeting...

H
    hnz1979 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Thanks. I think I'm going to tell the counselor I think Zach is 2e. If we get the right teacher for next year they may give him extra stuff because they care. Getting that right fit is crucial.
    Thanks for all the advice here. I feel so less alone on this journey since I found Hoagies. It's nice to know about the other quirky kids out there!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM