Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #182260 02/15/14 06:25 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    My son is 7...about to turn 8 and is currently in 2nd grade. He is gifted and demonstrates all of the "negative" characteristics of gifted kids, especially in regard to school. He is sooooo bored and feels like school is a waste of time. He is right. The school has suggested a grade jump for next year.

My husband and I feel like it would be great for now, but are worried when we look ahead to high school and college, being so young. Also, he is very athletic, and being 6 months younger than others could cause a disadvantage?

I am looking for some advise from someone whose kid was grade jumped, or someone who chose not to and why.

Thanks!

I
    I
    Welcome!

For the past decade or more the gold standard in grade skipping has been the Iowa Acceleration Scale (IAS). Info here - http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10053.aspxm I'm familiar with up to 4 years of successful grade acceleration.

Some positive grade skip stories here: http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10651.aspx

Genius Denied here - http://www.geniusdenied.com/

Have you talked to your son about the grade skip?

There are several recent threads on acceleration, including http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/171927/1.html

There are also threads especially about boys skipping a grade, including
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/137899/1.html

Z
    Z
    Personally, I couldn't imagine sports as even a factor to consider; so, with that limitation... My eight year old son skipped 2nd grade because of his passion to learn and his needs not being met at his grade level and also because it put him into a full gifted program hat started in third. He's caught up and is surpassing the class now. He's happy and adjusted socially.

I think there are many negative mindsets that can develop from the stifling boredom of showing up to a place that claims to be a place of learning and never learnng anythng new. However, it seems the the majority of gifted kids aren't too impacted. But the further out their giftedness is, the harder it can become.

P
    P
    The sports thing depends on the sport and his relative size. But it depends what you consider the primary reason for school is. Also sometimes people undo skips when the child is older and perhaps other options become available.

With a sporty boy, though, I can see it being an argument for subject acceleration instead.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Sports is certainly not a deciding factor, however I want my son to be a happy kid�all around. While he is academically gifted, he still wants to be normal socially, and sports are very important to his identity. I am not hoping my kid is some major jock in high school, nor do I plan on him playing in college at all, but I want his childhood to be as normal as possible, which for my son, who loves sports, includes playing sports.

Thank you for the articles. I will check them out.

Q
    Q
    One of my nephews who was accelerated two years is very athletic. The acceleration was at the instigation of the private elementary school and was a really good thing even through public middle school. By public high school, it became a bad thing due partly to the sports piece. He is very athletic but relatively small even for his age. While he still held his own with boys 2 years older and much bigger, he was no longer competitive enough to get a spot on the school team. Without the two year age difference, getting a spot should not have been a problem. I believe he would have prefered to do sports than start college at 16. So the question has to be what you think matters more to your DS as well as whether other accomodations short of grade skipping is possible.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 02/17/14 11:42 AM.
    P
    P
    Or get him involved in sports where they are grouped by age or age isn't that important.

I know this is a bit trite, but I'm sending my DD13 to school to get an education, not play sports. Even though she is a quasi-sporty kid, that was not at all a consideration in either of her grade skips.

That being said, my daughter did enjoy being a ten-year-old seventh grader swimming on the middle school varsity team with mostly eighth graders. And she does a good job of keeping track of relative victories - e.g. being the top IMer on the HS JV team as a twelve-year-old is quite an accomplishment, even if she is not likely to make varsity until she's a junior.

Being competitive at sports is fun, but unless your kid is in the top 1% in ability, he'll likely be earning a living using his brain, not his athletic skill.

--S.F.

For gifted children, doing nothing is the wrong choice.
    Organized sports are usually age-grouped until at least 7th-8th grade, so it won't be a problem until then.

In my neck of the woods, there's a mix of middle schools (6-8th) and junior highs (7-9th) that play in the same league, so there's an age cap on competition to keep things fair. In such an arrangement, your accelerated DS could be the only 9th grader still eligible to play.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM