Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 220 of 268 1 2 218 219 220 221 222 267 268
    A
    A
    Lovemydd, that post has me smiling from ear to ear! smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    D
    D
    Dd13 won a gold key award in the Scholastic Art & Writing regional contest for science fiction/fantasy. We find out on March 17 if she gets a medal and a ceremony at Carnegie Hall! Very proud of her for entering. She was so excited she started to cry. Very validating for her (she wants to be a writer) so I am happy she got the recognition.

K
    K
    Wow!! Congratulations to your dd!!!

Originally Posted by deacongirl
    Dd13 won a gold key award in the Scholastic Art & Writing regional contest for science fiction/fantasy. We find out on March 17 if she gets a medal and a ceremony at Carnegie Hall! Very proud of her for entering. She was so excited she started to cry. Very validating for her (she wants to be a writer) so I am happy she got the recognition.

That is tremendous news - if my memory serves me correctly, didn't you post a thread once about a teacher not liking your DD's writing? Great vindication indeed!

Last edited by madeinuk; 02/07/14 07:35 AM.

Become what you are
    DD9 is not a "performer". She doesn't like standing up in front of the class to present a report, being on stage for a play, or even singing with the entire 4th-5th grade at the Christmas program. She just doesn't like being in the spotlight where she knows everyone will be watching her.

So we were so proud when she came home one day and told us she signed up for the school spelling bee. I didn't even know the school was having a sign up. She is what I would call a natural speller and must put to use that huge memory she has. With some effort and etymology training she could be really good. Well next thing I know she is rethinking her decision. We talked about how it is important to follow through on things and how good she will feel if she sticks it out and does this. We explained how it was a learning experience for her and it didn't matter the outcome because if she can get up there and do it she has already accomplished something.

Well she did overcome her fears and nerves and she won! I seriously get teary-eyed just thinking about it because I know how difficult it was for her. She says she wants to do it again next year too. SO PROUD!!!!

Deacongirl and frugalmom, that is WONDERFUL news!!

laugh

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by 1frugalmom
    DD9 is not a "performer". She doesn't like standing up in front of the class to present a report, being on stage for a play, or even singing with the entire 4th-5th grade at the Christmas program. She just doesn't like being in the spotlight where she knows everyone will be watching her.

So we were so proud when she came home one day and told us she signed up for the school spelling bee. I didn't even know the school was having a sign up. She is what I would call a natural speller and must put to use that huge memory she has. With some effort and etymology training she could be really good. Well next thing I know she is rethinking her decision. We talked about how it is important to follow through on things and how good she will feel if she sticks it out and does this. We explained how it was a learning experience for her and it didn't matter the outcome because if she can get up there and do it she has already accomplished something.

Well she did overcome her fears and nerves and she won! I seriously get teary-eyed just thinking about it because I know how difficult it was for her. She says she wants to do it again next year too. SO PROUD!!!!

Wow! Great job encouraging her to stick with it and what a great lesson for her! So happy for you both!

A
    A
    What terrific news, Deacongirl!

Frugalmom, talk about a growth mindset! What a great attitude. I love that she's open to challenging herself.

You two must be so happy for your children! smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Deacongirl,

Was this the story with the time-travelling piano?

Become what you are
    So my DD14 just got an invitation in the mail to join The National Society of High School Scholars-- which she immediately thought was probably nothing but a vanity press sales gambit, (like Who's Who), or something like that.

In checking it out-- she NAILED this one, and in spite of the nifty stationery and hand-addressed envelope.

cool

It's a brag because my DH and I weren't so sure-- but our 14yo knew that something about it didn't pass the sniff test.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 220 of 268 1 2 218 219 220 221 222 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM