Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    You're right, geofizz, thanks. I've now asked that question - I should know by now not to assume if it's in the IEP it's happening. We're IEP newbies! I hadn't stopped to appreciate the general cognitive benefits of that sort of organizational training. We've been working on imposing more order on daily tasks and it will be interesting to see what cross pollination we get.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by CoastalMom
    You're right, geofizz, thanks. I've now asked that question - I should know by now not to assume if it's in the IEP it's happening. We're IEP newbies! I hadn't stopped to appreciate the general cognitive benefits of that sort of organizational training. We've been working on imposing more order on daily tasks and it will be interesting to see what cross pollination we get.

IEPs take a lot of a parent's attention. The level of complication is such that the parent really does need to pay attention and step in when necessary.

I just carried DS' 504 to a PTC. Not that the teacher was doing anything all that wrong, but we needed to revising the content to tweak DS' course. As a kid that hasn't been taxing the teacher much, she'd kind of lost track of the details. No biggie, and an easy fix.

N
    N
    Hi CoastalMom,

When my dd was in grade 1 (and before she shifted schools and started to be given work at the appropriate level) she struggled with writing too. At one stage the teacher suggested she was below grade level. I was stumped. She is highly verbal too, was reading all kinds of stuff, could have chewed your ear off for hours telling stories.

The teacher asked her to practice at home and I realised as I watched her she just had no idea what write ... because the topics were just so inane. We talked about it further and I discovered she felt she was either required to write about things she didn't think anyone could possibly be interested in (her weekend, for example) or write about interesting topics on such a superficial level there was little point. Within a term of switching schools and being given work at a more appropriate level her writing went from below grade level to two years beyond. She's developed considerably in the years since.

Others have shared some great ideas in this thread and they may be more on the mark than our experience. But it might be as 'simple' (I say, realising that the simplest accommodations are often the hardest to get) as getting more appropriate work.

Last edited by Nerdnproud; 02/08/14 03:04 AM.
    :nodding: That has absolutely been part and parcel of DD's problems with writing. If she's given a prompt that is truly on-level for her, and she is allowed to choose FREELY (that is, not be too concerned about picking a "right" or formulaic topic/answer) then her writing level jumps considerably.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM