Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 147 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore, Ross Kious, Alishaniche
    11,419 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    Steph Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I feel a little more pressure than normal about working with the kids this summer since DS will skip 1st for 2nd next year. I was told to work on time & money which he pretty much gets but not sure what else would help. I work part time so he & DD write a few sentences for me about their day when I get home & we're trying to read together.

How did you prepare your child to bump up a grade? Educational and social tips- what helped get them ready?. And what did they say to their friends? What did you say to your friends?

He has really wanted to take karate so we're letting him try that this fall in hopes that will help with some self control and added confidence.

S
    S
    We've not experienced gradeskipping, but I thought I'd say welcome. You might check the books by JD Hirsch (I think) called "What Your Nth Grader Needs to Know", specifically for the 1st grade. That would give you an idea. You might also check your school's website and see if they post a concept map. Other than that, I'm clueless. I'm sure someone will jump in soon and offer more help.

Welcome!

This summer DS is working on descriptive writing, reducing letter and number reversals, and memorizing math facts.

Some practical bumps he experienced when he switched from K to 1st in March: difficulty opening containers in his lunchbox and making it to the bathroom. It was good to have a few months in first grade to get the kinks worked out smile

As for what to say, I'm not completely comfortable talking about the skip with people but I usually say something like, "DS is really enjoying X grade. It seems to be a much better fit for him." DS is a little awkward with his K friends about the skip. He is a bit of a celebrity to them because he gets to play on the "big" playground. They are always waving and saying "hi." This makes him feel a little shy, but we have talked about how all he needs to do is smile and say "hi" back. And that next year they will be on the big playground with him.

acs Offline
    At least in our district, first grade is devoted to teaching reading. So if a child can read, I am not sure that there is much else that needs to be done. Plus there is usually review built into the fall curriculum. So most things that your child might have missed would probably get covered in September.

Last edited by acs; 06/18/08 08:20 PM.
    Agree, acs. That's why I am considering partial homeschooling for one year for DD5. By second grade the seemed to have a lot more interesting things going on for the kids.
    Let me see if I can remember what they focused on for the "gen-pop" in second:

Descriptive writing, for sure. They want to see "voice"- but don't ask me what that is.
    They wanted the kids to create a graph to represent something they wanted to measure and to write a verbal description of it.
    Big on math facts. they wanted to know all those single digit addition and subtraction facts QUICKLY. smile
    Yes, time and money, but they are learning it, so he doesn't have to know all of it going in.
    Maybe work on reading comprehension, I think they start testing the kids to see if they are getting what they are reading.

That's all I can think of for now, hope that helps.

Hi Steph,
    My DS7 had a mid-year skip from 2nd to 3rd this year, so we didn't have much of a chance to prepare him (or us!). Maybe that is for the better! I can tell you some of the things they did in second grade... if my sleepy brain can think for a moment. Timed math tests were big in his school. (his school does Everyday Math) He had to be able to do 100 addition in under 7 minutes (single digit numbers), and likewise 100 subtraction in 7 minutes. You would be amazed after practicing that all year how fast they can do those drills. They worked on the beginning steps of fractions... cutting pies and pizzas into wedges. They also began to introduce multiplication... 2 sets of 3 equals six. (very basic) I can remember the math facts better since my son loves math. In science, they talked about habitats for animals and food cycles. And I can't think much about reading and writing at the moment... I'm drawing a complete blank... Oh well. Just the basic sentence structure and punctuation for writing. Oh, and they introduced cursive writing towards the end of second grade. (my son missed that completely). Those are just some of the things that might come your son's way this next year.

And as far as preparing him emotionally, we really just pretended that this was the most normal thing in the world. One day he was in second grade and the next day he was in third. Since we didn't make a big deal over it, he just seemed to go with the flow. We told him to say, if he was asked why he was in third grade, that this was what the school had decided was best for him. That way he didn't seem like he was bragging about being smarter than anyone else. And as for the other parents... We live in a pretty competitive school district where everyone thinks their kid is gifted. So we learned not to mention it unless someone asked us a direct question. I have to say that most people thought we were making a horrible decision in accelerating our son up a grade. (family and friends-we got all kinds of lectures!) They put much more emphasis on kids social maturity than on intelligence. I must say that a one year acceleration was the best thing that we could have done, especially socially! Our son had nothing in common with his second grade classmates at all. He now has a good group of boys that have a lot of common interests.

The only downside to skipping up to 3rd was that the bigger boys (9 or 10) were into a lot more things that I would consider inappropriate for a seven year old. He learned many things from them that I could have used another year before facing. And they are allowed to watch some movies that I won't let my DS7 watch. Oh well. It was still the best decision.

I am very new to all of this too, Steph. I just started posting here this week. So I would love to chat with you some more about this tomorrow.

ebeth

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Good advice.

I forgot about the cursive, yeah that too.

smile

My DS6 is also skipping 1st and going into 2nd. Academically, we are not doing anything over the summer to prepare for 2nd unless DS wants to. Keep in mind I'm acting on zero experience with skips, so although this is what my gut tells me to do (or to not actively do anything) in DS's case, it's not a recommendation, just another point of view. My thought is that 2nd will quickly become underchallenging for DS so if he has the opportunity to have a normal (or even steep) learning curve at the beginning of the year it will be good for his student skills. Grade-school curriculum is "spiralled", so they generally do a brief synopsis of what is taught in the prior grade anyway before introducing new material.

In terms of social stuff, he is attending a small summer camp where all the ages are grouped together so he can interact with older kids. He is at least average height and I think he should be able to hold-his-own athletically.

I casually told DS that we (mom, dad) and the school thought he'd learn best in 2nd. DS has voluntarily told his classmates in a matter-of-fact way and the kids haven't made a big deal out of it (one benefit of doing the skip early). The only ones making a big deal are other parents! At DS's school, the parents know next year's teacher so I tell other parents if they ask which teacher we have. I try not to let the icy silences and ignorant comments get to me (e.g., yesterday a camp mom said, "Did you think he was too smart for 2nd? My daughter is reading at an 8th grade level and I would never skip her to 4th because I want her to have time to be a kid, blah...blah...").

We'll see what happens! smile Jool

Did you think he was too smart for 2nd? My daughter is reading at an 8th grade level and I would never skip her to 4th because I want her to have time to be a kid, blah...blah...").

mad

Shame on you, anonymous mother of HG child!!!!

Yes, the parents are definately the worst! Sorry you have to deal with that junk.
    I'm glad to hear some of these schools are skipping these kids over first. In many ways I think it's the worst year because, yes, it's all about reading. And it should be, many of the kids are not reading fluently at the beginning of first and it's a crucial year for the skills to be firmly obtained.

Agreed! We'd have LOVED to skip 1st.

Actually, since we pulled him out that year for homeschooling, I guess in a way we did skip 1st for him. wink

Kriston
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM