Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 36 of 36 1 2 34 35 36
    B
    B
    Let's see how it works in Tennessee:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...ove-free-community-college-plan/7772245/
    Eyes on Tennessee as it begins free community college plan
    Duane W. Gang
    The Tennesseean
    April 16, 2014

Higher education experts and states around the nation will have their eyes on Tennessee as the Volunteer State embarks on an ambitious plan to provide free community college to all high school graduates.

The Tennessee Promise plan will make the state a leader in working to make higher education more affordable. The aim is to boost college graduation rates and build a more educated and skilled workforce. The bill is the first of its kind in the nation.

"Governors across the country will be watching to see how the Tennessee plan plays out as they all try to figure out how to best tap into the talents of an increasingly diverse student population," said Richard Kahlenberg, a senior fellow at The Century Foundation, a nonpartisan think tank.

B
    B
    Free or low-cost tuition is more likely to come at low-cost institutions, such as community colleges or online universities. Here are articles on two recent initiatives.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/16/u...e-education-to-thousands-of-workers.html
    Starbucks to Provide Free College Education to Thousands of Workers
    By RICHARD PÉREZ-PEÑA
    New York Times
    JUNE 15, 2014

Starbucks will provide a free online college education to thousands of its workers, without requiring that they remain with the company, through an unusual arrangement with Arizona State University, the company and the university will announce on Monday.

The program is open to any of the company’s 135,000 United States employees, provided they work at least 20 hours a week and have the grades and test scores to gain admission to Arizona State. For a barista with at least two years of college credit, the company will pay full tuition; for those with fewer credits it will pay part of the cost, but even for many of them, courses will be free, with government and university aid.

“Starbucks is going where no other major corporation has gone,” said Jamie P. Merisotis, president and chief executive of the Lumina Foundation, a group focused on education. “For many of these Starbucks employees, an online university education is the only reasonable way they’re going to get a bachelor’s degree.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/18/b...-an-entry-level-approach-to-college.html
    A Smart Way to Skip College in Pursuit of a Job
    Udacity-AT&T ‘NanoDegree’ Offers an Entry-Level Approach to College
    New York Times
    JUNE 17, 2014
    Could an online degree earned in six to 12 months bring a revolution to higher education?

This week, AT&T and Udacity, the online education company founded by the Stanford professor and former Google engineering whiz Sebastian Thrun, announced something meant to be very small: the “NanoDegree.”

At first blush, it doesn’t appear like much. For $200 a month, it is intended to teach anyone with a mastery of high school math the kind of basic programming skills needed to qualify for an entry-level position at AT&T as a data analyst, iOS applications designer or the like.

Yet this most basic of efforts may offer more than simply adding an online twist to vocational training. It may finally offer a reasonable shot at harnessing the web to provide effective schooling to the many young Americans for whom college has become a distant, unaffordable dream.

Intriguingly, it suggests that the best route to democratizing higher education may require taking it out of college.

My husband had an interview at a CC yesterday; he's a librarian. They were talking about open source textbooks and other open source materials in the interview because the librarians know the kids are broke and on a shoestring budget. They're looking to replace expensive textbooks and other materials in the library at this CC. We live in MA.

At least this CC is realistic in addressing the fundamental facts that 1) they're students are broke and often are living hand-to-mouth, 2) don't have hundreds or thousands of $$ to shell out for expensive textbooks, 3) are often older, mature students who somehow cobble together jobs/family/school and 4) actually are interested in learning something but without going further into debt!

MA is very expensive for housing, education, and childcare. It's a recipe for open source, especially at the CC and state college level imo. We're not all on trust funds or kids of Mittens (ie. uber millionaire Mitt Romney in Belmont, MA).

B
    B
    Originally Posted by cdfox
    My husband had an interview at a CC yesterday; he's a librarian. They were talking about open source textbooks and other open source materials in the interview because the librarians know the kids are broke and on a shoestring budget. They're looking to replace expensive textbooks and other materials in the library at this CC. We live in MA.

At least this CC is realistic in addressing the fundamental facts that 1) they're students are broke and often are living hand-to-mouth, 2) don't have hundreds or thousands of $$ to shell out for expensive textbooks, 3) are often older, mature students who somehow cobble together jobs/family/school and 4) actually are interested in learning something but without going further into debt!
    Textbooks one edition older than current are often much cheaper and still easily available used on Amazon and are what I typically buy for my children.

Well, that's true Bostonian. In our city, we're very fortunate to have a free book swap twice a year. I picked up tons of free textbooks and academic books at the last city book swap, even some that were fairly recently published. BUT I'm un/homeschooling and have the time, energy, and patience to wait for this book swap when others may not.

I also occasionally pick up used textbooks or academic books at the used bookstore or on Amazon too. But again, I'm not in a rush or pressure to get x textbook by a certain amount of time.

Still, with CC students, I really think there should be a push to use free/open source materials as much as humanly possible. Too often, there isn't. Instead, the publishing industry still holds a considerable amount of clout as well as the deans or heads of department who cast their orders to faculty.

B
    B
    The president has just proposed free community college tuition:

Obama Announces Plan to Pay for Community College
    By MICHAEL D. SHEAR
    New York Times
    January 9, 2015

O
    O
    "Free community college tuition" huh? I wasn't aware that community colleges don't charge for tuition. If they still do, then it's not free, someone is paying for it and that someone is the taxpayer.

Using the phrase "Free college tuition" is insults the intelligence of the public.

Last edited by Old Dad; 01/14/15 09:21 PM.
    I
    I
    Is Free College Really Free?
    by Anya Kamenetz
    NPR
    January 5, 2017

Originally Posted by NPR article
    In reality there's no free college, just as there's no free lunch. The real policy discussion is about how to best distribute the burden of paying for it — between individual families and the public at large — and, secondly, how to hold down the cost of providing it.

I COMMAND YOU TO RISE!

RISE FROM THE GRAVE!

ONCE AGAIN YOU SHALL WALK THE WORLD OF THE LIVING!

Page 36 of 36 1 2 34 35 36

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM