Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 23 of 36 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 35 36
    Right-- but what I'm saying is that there are some (similarly, undergraduate focused) public colleges and universities that espouse the Liberal Arts model very well, also.

An economics major from one of them would earn, technically, a "liberal arts" degree.

My own undergraduate chemistry degree is one of those. It's a B.S. degree, not liberal arts, but I did have to complete the same Liberal Arts core as everyone else, and it was definitely not trivial (two years of foreign language, fine arts at the 300+ level, etc.). So how would someone like that be classified for the purposes of that particular analysis?

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 01/22/14 05:27 PM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    W
    W
    course in instruction in what? What are you qualified to do? That is the question employers are asking. If you want a job, what skill set are you bringing to the table?

You come out of computer science, you can write code. You come out of materials engineering, you can work on new materials.

And at one time, a B in chemistry made you a professional with an ability to get a pretty good job. Now, that makes you a lab tech. You need a PhD to get a r&D job.

It is about the realities of the job market, not what someone wants them to be.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    An economics major from one of them would earn, technically, a "liberal arts" degree.

My own undergraduate chemistry degree is one of those. It's a B.S. degree, not liberal arts, but I did have to complete the same Liberal Arts core as everyone else, and it was definitely not trivial (two years of foreign language, fine arts at the 300+ level, etc.). So how would someone like that be classified for the purposes of that particular analysis?

Interesting. No one from my college would be labelled as having a degree in liberal arts. People have a degree in economics or a degree in biochemistry or a degree in English.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Val

Interesting. No one from my college would be labelled as having a degree in liberal arts. People have a degree in economics or a degree in biochemistry or a degree in English.

My economics undergrad was part of the arts envelope, but the degree is "BA(Hons.) Economics". I think this is the distinction you meant to make, HK?

What is to give light must endure burning.
    O
    O
    Originally Posted by Wren
    It is about the realities of the job market, not what someone wants them to be.

Cha-ching!

Now, I'll grant you, not everyone goes to college in order to attain skills needed to secure a job capable of financially supporting a lifestyle of one's hopes, there are certainly other outstanding uses of what one learns in college, however, the vast majority are attempting to acquire the skills needed to support themselves and perhaps a family financially. What that means is doing some research in the market for who is hiring and what they're hiring for. We all have equal value as human beings, however, the job market determines our financial worth, which is why I often roll my eyes at the wealth distribution inequity debate.

One problem with that strategy is that all of the other smart people are trying to do it, too-- so everyone who CAN cut it winds up in the same five majors which are projected to have "high demand" in five year projections.

Only... everyone else did that too...

Well, you see my point. Even if you try to outsmart the employment market, you MAY wind up getting burned and only winding up with a degree and job skills in something you don't really even like, and can't find a good job in either.

I've encouraged my DD to get the broadest degree that she can-- but not in the arts or humanities. Well, not solely, anyway. It's fine if she wants to study psychology or history, but she needs to have a STEM major share top billing.

My preference is math or one of the physical sciences. They are (IME) more versatile ultimately than their engineering counterparts, even at the undergraduate level. Sure, starting salaries aren't as high, but thorough training in biochemisttry, for example, leaves you capable of being more than a tech, and of learning as you go.

They reward divergent thinking and curiosity more regularly, too-- as part of training, I mean. So that seems (to us) to be a far better fit for an HG+ person.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    Why do you think math is more versatile than say an degree in English? My BA is in math and when I left school the only things I could figure out to do with my degree was to become a computer programmer, a teacher, or go to graduate school. It was the late 80's, it wasn't that hard to became a computer programmer.

W
    W
    I had a college friend, graduated in biochem in 1978. All she could get was a lab tech job with a BSc. She went and became an accountant.

Comparing the job market 30 years ago to today, Bluemagic isn't relevant. Today, to be a computer programmer is probably more specialized than just having a math degree and figuring out dos and Fortran.

B
    B
    Holy toledo, what a dog's breakfast of statistics and correlation fallacy THAT is.

"Unclear?" Is that ever a polite euphemism. Unclear what any of it means, from that.

Though I suppose the high unemployment numbers at the outset (and from what cohort is this, anyway?? Times are far different than they were 30+ years back); that probably has a profound impact on lifetime earnings. Hey-- there's a thought. Maybe LIFETIME earnings is the right comparison. smirk

How about apples to apples? Maybe a table with some data in it would have been clearer.

This doesn't even begin to address the problems inherent in the semantics in this-- where at some institutions "Liberal Arts" means anything that is a BA degree and includes a gen-ed core, and at others, comprises a balanced and thoughtful, intentional course of instruction. "Humanities" is "Liberal Arts" at a good number of institutions, as well. At some public undergraduate colleges, Social Sciences doesn't even have its own division/college, and could be counted as either of the above.

Where is this data even FROM?? Who is reporting the values?
    According to the captions of the graphs from the article, the sources are the US Census Bureau and 2012 American Community Survey. The "Note on Methodology" in the press release at http://www.aacu.org/press_room/press_releases/2014/liberalartsreport.cfm says this:
    The study analyzed public use files from the US Census Bureau's American Community Survey for 2010 and 2011. These files include information related to the education and occupation of about 3 million US residents between the ages of 21 and 65. The report authors grouped together for purposes of comparison college graduates with four-year degrees in a humanities or social science field (e.g. philosophy, history, or sociology) and compared the employment status of these individuals with that of three other groups: those with degrees in a professional or pre-professional field (e.g. nursing or business), those with a degree in science or mathematics (e.g. chemistry or biology), and those with a degree in engineering.

*The term “liberal arts” is used in the report as a description for majors in the humanities, arts, and social sciences.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Wren
    course in instruction in what? What are you qualified to do? That is the question employers are asking. If you want a job, what skill set are you bringing to the table?

You come out of computer science, you can write code. You come out of materials engineering, you can work on new materials.
    Wall Street wants smart and hard-working employees, but it appears that the technical skills can be learned in a few days:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/05...-camps-to-bring-new-workers-up-to-speed/
    Wall Street Turns to ‘Boot Camps’ to Train New Workers
    By LYNNLEY BROWNING
    New York Times
    MAY 30, 2013, 4:26 PM 37 Comments

Newly minted university graduates who have landed coveted jobs on Wall Street may have impressive résumés and sought-after references. But often, nuts-and-bolts skills like spreadsheet building and database extraction are not part of university curriculums.

When millions of dollars can be won or lost on one calculation, firms are finding it essential that their new hires can tell the difference between a pivot table and a header row.

Enter specialized boot camps where — for fees that sometimes exceed $1,000 a day — would-be masters of the universe can perfect Excel modeling techniques and financial analysis. Each year, tens of thousands of students at the nation’s top business schools, and scores of new hires at financial firms, including Goldman Sachs and the Blackstone Group, now take courses run by companies like Training the Street and Wall Street Prep.

Graduates say the classes give them a new appreciation for the heart of financial analysis. An eight-hour crash course on leveraged buyouts from Training the Street was so intensive that it “kind of makes you want to slit your wrists,” said Michael Rojas, who graduated from Columbia Business School this month.

But over all, Mr. Rojas said, the training was thorough. “This is the stuff you really need to know, and that you don’t learn in business school,” he said. “They have a template model, and they walk you through page by page.”

The training does not come cheap. Business schools pay Training the Street as much as $1,300 a student for a course. Wall Street Prep, also used by most top business schools and more than 150 banks and financial firms, charges corporate clients as much as $1,499 per student for a three-day course.

Darin Oduyoye, a spokesman for JPMorgan, said that the bank uses both companies for things like basic training for new associates and helping analysts prepare for licensing exams. “We also obviously augment these training and development opportunities with our own in-house programs,” Mr. Oduyoye said.

In June, Chevron, ConocoPhillips and Exxon Mobil, and banks involved in the energy business, will send about 15 new or recent hires to a three-day course in New York run by Wall Street Prep on valuing oil and gas companies.

These programs are also courting ever-younger students, and their parents’ wallets. In June, Training the Street will start a four-day Undergraduate Wall Street Boot Camp in New York and will charge students $3,000 (not including accommodations) to learn the basics of financial modeling, valuation and analysis. Wall Street Prep, widely viewed as more intensive on analytics, sells CD-ROMs for $39, for a basic Excel course, and as much as $499 for a “premium package” detailing financial modeling.

It should be possible for someone who loves literature or history to major in those subjects but also fit in a few business courses, get outside training, or simply work through a book such as

Financial Modeling and Valuation: A Practical Guide to Investment Banking and Private Equity (Wiley Finance)
    Paul Pignataro

(to list one book of many) that teaches necessary concepts and skills. MBA programs have few pre-requisites other than a BA and last only 2 years (vs. 3 for law school and 4 for medical school). MBA students probably study much less than law and medical students. Not much academic knowledge is needed for business, but the right credentials may be needed to get the first job.

Page 23 of 36 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 35 36

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM