Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 219 of 268 1 2 217 218 219 220 221 267 268
    L
    L
    Thanks, cricket, irena and zs. I suspected as much. Fortunately I did not tell dd that I submitted her poem and it got accepted. So no broken hearts.

HK, I haven't been on the board for a while, but just read your great news. I am thrilled for you and your DD. You've navigated an especially challenging road. Well done.

Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    It's a common format like Who's Who books. Ultimately it sells books, but it makes sense for the competition to be totally above board on the actual winners. The adult variations of these also get people up front with submission or reading fees. Then again, there are much more expensive ways to feel good about one's effort.

I agree! Of course their goal is to sell books and make kids and parents feel all warm and fuzzy that they were picked to be published so they want to buy the books. It did make us feel that way too. I think they are on the up and up though, and entering your work is free, so you can't really complain about that.

DD9's teacher submitted two of her poems last year (at the same time) and oddly enough one was chosen to be published in the Spring Edition and the other in the Summer Edition. We would have had to buy two books. We allowed them to be published, but did not purchase either book. DD9 was excited the first time around and basically blew it off the second time.

B
    B
    Not a big deal, but at a recent chess tournament all three of my children had plus scores (the eldest a perfect score) and won trophies. I am impressed by how much effort my 7yo daughter puts into her games. She actually thinks before she moves smile. Fewer than 10% of club members are girls, but this does not faze her.

T
    T
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Not a big deal, but at a recent chess tournament all three of my children had plus scores (the eldest a perfect score) and won trophies. I am impressed by how much effort my 7yo daughter puts into her games. She actually thinks before she moves smile. Fewer than 10% of club members are girls, but this does not faze her.

That's great!

My son's rating for this month in the USCF (United States Chess Federation) are:
    - #9 in the U.S. for his age
    -#2 in Texas for his age
    - #65 in the U.S. for ages 7 & Under

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Irena
    Originally Posted by Lovemydd
    I came here not to brag but to ask if anyone can shed some light on the legitimacy of Creative Communications (poeticpower.com). Someone on this board mentioned it and I entered dd4 poem in their contest. I got an acceptance email but now I am thinking it is just a scam. Sorry if this is not an appropriate post.
    Oh interesting. My DS entered this, too. His was also picked to be published and then supposedly a published poem is in the finals from which they pick top ten winners. Gosh I hope it is not a scam. But he feels proud to see his work in print and be a finalist. If he is actually one of ten winners, it'll have been worth it. He's also in the Totem Head Short Story Contest. That definitely does not seem like a scam.
    and
    I found this about it on the Davidson website: http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Resources_id_10045.aspx
    and
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    It's a common format like Who's Who books. Ultimately it sells books, but it makes sense for the competition to be totally above board on the actual winners. The adult variations of these also get people up front with submission or reading fees. Then again, there are much more expensive ways to feel good about one's effort.

These types of anthologies and who's who type directories are sometimes referred to as "vanity press". They are similar to a yearbook in that the customers would tend to consist of those who are represented inside the book. They are not generally broadly distributed, found in bookstores, or offered by online retailers. Nevertheless, they make a nice keepsake. Some schools participate in vanity press projects and these can be meaningful as one tends to know the other contributors.

M
    M
    I was walking by DS3.10's room yesterday and hear him reading "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate." "I am constant as the Northern Star" "Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow."
    ... so I think what the heck? I go in to check, ask what are you reading? and he says "Quotations from Shakespeare" I guess it's never too early for Shakespeare??? lol (it's in the Starfall library if anyone's interested!)

But what makes me even happier ... he has FINALLY learned to WALK DOWN THE STAIRS! ... at 3 years 9 months and couple days! ... no more butt / knee scooting down! smile

K
    K
    DH walked by DS3 counting the keys on the piano this morning. He paused and watched until DS looked up and said, "There are 88!" A few moments later DS said, "There are really 91 on the piano." DH told him that he had it right the 1st time, to which DS replied, "There's 3 on the bottom." Ah yes... the pedals...

I'm not sure which surprised me more: the fact that DS gets 88+3 or that he has that amount of concentration.

L
    L
    I subbed for the teacher at dd4's school yesterday. The teacher had the worksheets that I was supposed to give to each kid. My dd's was 20 single digit addition problems with two-digit sums. Before I could distribute all the worksheet, dd was done with hers. When I asked how she finished it in literally under 5 minutes, she replied that she has a trick. She picks an easy one first like 5+5, then looks for 5+6, then 5+7 or 6+6 etc. so she doesn't really have to add each time. I thought that was pretty clever. Dd then went on to help the younger kids with their worksheets encouraging them, praising them for their great work and even writing dashed numbers on their sheets so they could trace. Was so much fun to watch her.

L
    L
    So today dd4 said that she is good at math and no one can stump her. So dh and I asked her many math questions like a rapid fire round and she did not miss any. She was laughing all through it.
    Some sample questions:
    3/4+3/4
    2.5+3.5
    A girl is 4.5. her brother is twice as old as her. What is his age?
    You go to a store with a quarter. Candy costs a dime. How much money will you get back?
    You can buy 13 strawberries for $10. How much can you buy for $20?
    13 strawberries weigh 1 lb. I got a 3lb bag for you. How many strawberries?
    Porsche car had 3 gallons. I filled up the tank with 7 more gallons. How much can the car hold?
    Prius can hold twice as much as Porsche. So how much?
    Vovlo can hold one fourth as much as Prius. How much?
    Etc etc. she didn't get a single question wrong and her speed was amazing. She mostly blurted the answers as soon as the question was asked.
    Then, she decided to stump us. She asked us just one question. There is a wooden basket. There are two people. The basket cannot be cut or shared. What will you do? The answer: Ask one person to run away.

Page 219 of 268 1 2 217 218 219 220 221 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM