Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    KADmom #180055 01/20/14 01:13 PM
    E
    E
    From the way the neuropsych explained it, there is a flaw in the test design that sometimes causes kids to score abnormally low, but some kids with a low score "deserve" it, too. It's very hard to tease apart which it is. She gave us an example from the test - there are 4 pictures, and they are supposed to pick the one that "doesn't fit." I won't tell you about the specific example because it's part of a still-current test, but DS5 came up with a perfectly acceptable reason for picking the wrong one - no points. The neuropsych's report said that she thought that that test was too low, because it was significantly discrepant with the other two "Performance" subtests and because he was able to give acceptable-sounding reasons for his choices even when they didn't match the rubric. On the other hand, he just qualified for an IEP and special ed in part because of a problem with his verbal skills (he tanked paragraph comprehension even though he did very well on sentence comprehension and antonyms).

For what it's worth, 22B, our neuropsych thinks that Picture Concepts is somewhat flawed. I'm not sure if it's still there on the WISC-V or not - does anyone know?

KADmom #180057 01/20/14 01:48 PM
    E
    E
    Yes ElizabethN it is still there! Maybe this explains how my DS got average on that subset but exceptional on another.... hmmm.

KADmom #180058 01/20/14 01:59 PM
    I
    I
    Is the WISC V out now? How long will all of the testers have to convert over?

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    From the way the neuropsych explained it, there is a flaw in the test design that sometimes causes kids to score abnormally low, but some kids with a low score "deserve" it, too. It's very hard to tease apart which it is. She gave us an example from the test - there are 4 pictures, and they are supposed to pick the one that "doesn't fit." I won't tell you about the specific example because it's part of a still-current test, but DS5 came up with a perfectly acceptable reason for picking the wrong one - no points. The neuropsych's report said that she thought that that test was too low, because it was significantly discrepant with the other two "Performance" subtests and because he was able to give acceptable-sounding reasons for his choices even when they didn't match the rubric. On the other hand, he just qualified for an IEP and special ed in part because of a problem with his verbal skills (he tanked paragraph comprehension even though he did very well on sentence comprehension and antonyms).

For what it's worth, 22B, our neuropsych thinks that Picture Concepts is somewhat flawed. I'm not sure if it's still there on the WISC-V or not - does anyone know?

Thanks for the explanation. (Picture Concepts was on WISC-IV when DS took it a year ago.) I'm skeptical about the value of these some of tests too. Sometimes some of our kids just think differently and it can hurt their scores. Maybe my kid "deserved" a couple of low scores for "inability to think inside the box when required".

KADmom #180188 01/21/14 08:14 PM
    B
    B
    DS's highest score was Picture Concepts (19) and he has some expressive language and speech issues so I'm surprised he did so well on it. Block design was the test both my kids had trouble with relative to the other non-verbal tests (with DS because of motor issues). So he had 18-19 on Picture Concepts and Matrix Reasoning and 13 or something on Block Design.

K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Picture concepts was the lowest subtest score within the index for ds. Interesting...

Last edited by KADmom; 01/22/14 02:33 AM.
    KADmom #180207 01/22/14 08:06 AM
    D
    D
    This was not an issue for my daughter. She did score significantly lower on CogAt in 7th grade, (just barely qualifying for services when she was 99.9% on WISC). But she was doing well with the skip from 5th to 7th. Even if it had been lower I am quite confident it would have had zero affect on her placement.

K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    That's what I'm thinking will be the case for my ds. He also skipped 6th and is doing well.
    I really don't think our school system actively looks to end services for kids. I think the child would have to be really struggling in school for them to revisit the state-mandated DEP (Differentiated Ed Plan).

KADmom #180215 01/22/14 09:35 AM
    S
    S
    If you are concerned about using that score to discontinue...find out when it will be administered and then schedule a dental cleaning/checkup for that day.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    Sweetie #180218 01/22/14 09:44 AM
    K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Ha! Good idea, Sweetie. smile

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM