Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    W
    W
    Originally Posted by Texas Summer
    The difficulty in responding to GT kids is that you are never quite certain of the mental age of the child at any given moment since it can fluctuate by about a decade in the span of two minutes.

I think is so true. Sometimes I think I am talking to a teenager, and sometimes to a a three year old.

But I found that rules that apply to all of us, like if anyone forgets to say please, you say "freeze" and you have to count to 10 and then ask again. And if Daddy is using a mean tone then he has to do a "timeout". He doesn't really but the fact that we all have to follow the rules seems to work for her.

Ren

Wren #18937 07/03/08 07:30 AM
    I agree, Ren. I mean, "Do as I say but not as I do" doesn't work for any kid, GT or no. I think requiring that everyone speak to others--regardless of age--with respect and compassion is important.

I do make the distinction that in matters of safety, I may be required to give orders. I don't say "Please don't walk out in front of that car." I say, "STOP! Don't you move!"

Also, if I have said "Please wash your hands for dinner" and no one moves, I get less and less polite with each successive request. If they're rude enough to ignore me, then I get more and more directive and less concerned about niceties in response. I'm okay with that, as well.

Kriston
    Cathy A #18939 07/03/08 08:04 AM
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    Originally Posted by cym
    One speaker at a gifted conference advised the audience that we should treat our children as we would our dear adult friend. She used the example of the friend coming over to tea and she accidentally spilled the tea Twice! To the kid we might flare in anger and say they need to be more careful--go get a towel to clean it up! To the dear adult friend we would probably say something like "You're a little off today, honey" while we mopped it up. I don't know it that's completely relevant to this thread, but I loved that part of her speech.

I don't think I agree with this. I don't think there's much point in flying off the handle, but I would definitely ask my kids to clean up after themselves. I would not ask that of a guest.

You just pointed out the difference between how I treat GS8 who lives with us and GD's 5 & 7 who just visit! Although I have been making an effort to make the GD's clean up after themselves more so GS8 can see they're all treated equally.

I also agree with Cathy A's statement:
    Yes, gifted kids can be adult-like in some ways. But they are not mini-adults. I do agree that family members should treat each other with respect. However, I don't think we should treat our young children as adult friends.

Kriston #18940 07/03/08 08:07 AM
    Originally Posted by Kriston

I do make the distinction that in matters of safety, I may be required to give orders. I don't say "Please don't walk out in front of that car." I say, "STOP! Don't you move!"

Also, if I have said "Please wash your hands for dinner" and no one moves, I get less and less polite with each successive request. If they're rude enough to ignore me, then I get more and more directive and less concerned about niceties in response. I'm okay with that, as well.

I knew I liked you!

OHGrandma #18941 07/03/08 08:14 AM
    Back atcha! smile

Kriston
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM