Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 322 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #17962 06/15/08 05:20 AM
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    Our self contained gt school just closed - out of the blue to some. So now.... do we pay a lot of money for private that isn't GT focused. Do we go to our public with a pull-out. Do we move to a district with self contained (for example, Lakewood ohio's district has had self contained for over a decade). Or do I just go back into denial and not worry about this for my HG/EG kids. I don't see how grade skipping again will help. It seems more an issue of the speed... more her up more she just seems to learn more but still insanely fast... as you all understand better than i (dd6-EG/PG finished 1st, dd4 -HG was to ee into K).

So now what?

Oh my. What a situation. I can't believe that the school didn't let you all know a few months ahead of time. On top of that they accepted DD4 to K for next year.

I have no advice. At this point it may be really hard to decide. There is really not enough time to even go and check all the schools and talk to the administration (I assume your school year is still not over). You may have even harder time getting dd4 accepted for ee. It may be quite impossible to get her in PS earlier at this point, you may need to go the private route at least for her. What are the other parents doing?

I'm sorry you found yourself in such an impossible situation.

LMom
    Wow. What a pain! I guess I would start checking out the options...I hope you have better luck than we did with the non-GT private schools. There are two here in town, but both have insane waiting lists and do not do early entry (no exceptions.)

That's really too bad about the GT school!

K
    OP Offline
    K
    School let out on June 6th. They announced the closing on the 12th. I think the decision was made a few months ago though. My heart just goes out to these poor young teachers left without jobs so late in the year.

The upside is we've researched schools so often that we've talked to most of the porgrams. The struggle is now - which one will do the least harm or if it involves money - which is actually any better of an option than public. The "fancy" school offers lots of programs but not a gifted program. The most "acadmically challenging" lower school private option doesn't see a whole child just a brain with legs. And in public school because we grade skipped of first will seem so young....

We did re-enroll in pre-school and never said a word to them about sending #2 ee to k. so we have that as a back-up but it isn't a great option - at least a better teacher. And sadly methodists don't run schools because i'm not completely open minded about a catholic education before hs. but if there was a super choice i'd consider it but i don't see any of them shinning. the super montessori program that is home to many gt kids you had to sign-up back in november. and i'm a little montessori style shy.

the "fancy" school will ee our k. so maybe for a year. i was just more comfortable about doing it with the dd4 being in the same bldg as #1 with a teacher we knew and had done much planning with to prepare for this.

ugg. am i over thinking this?

I tend to go over and over these kinds of decisions myself. I think it's because all the options are less than ideal. Some of my school choices have worked out well for the kids, some not. I guess that's life. I've just tried to do the best I could with the information at hand. From what you describe, I would be inclined toward Fancy School. They will ee (a big plus) and even though they lack a GT program, there are lots of activities to occupy your DD. Could you enroll them both in Fancy School?

D
    D
    The school board and administrators should be ashamed of themselves! They were probably looking for alternate schools and positions while they kept others in the dark.

The good news is that your kids are still very young and you have time find a better situation before they start the real academics.

It sounds like there are no perfect choices right now. How about splitting the odds by sending your youngest child to the fancy school for early entrance and your 2nd grader to the cold, but academically challenging school to determine the better fit for next year? The public school option will always be there if neither works out to your satisfaction.

K
    OP Offline
    K
    Splitting them up for a year - not ideal - but maybe a good alternative. The problem of sending both girls to the fancy school is - who would want to leave. and long-term I can afford all 3 to go unless I go back to work... also possible. but ee at fancy and out (or win lottery)... or there was a great kindergarten teacher at a catholic school who had experience with ee and sounded open to it - wasn't right for #2.... but if we split them for a year... it could get us over the ee.

what else ya'all got for me.... this is looking better.

Originally Posted by kickball
    (or win lottery)

I like this option cool

Isa Offline
    I have no advice to offer, but I could take some since I am in a similar situation....

In my small experience I would say, go and talk to all the possible Principals, and then to the teacher your DDs would have if they attended that school. Because not matter how great the school maybe, if the teacher does not 'get them' then you (or rather them) are -censured-.

Good luck and keep us posted.

S
    S
    Wish I could help. I'm facing a decision as well. We have some testing this week and once we have that, we will have to decide public school (no acceleration at all), private school (could accelerate or subject accelerate, $$$), homeschool (sanity).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM