Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    K
    K
    Well said!!

B
    OP Offline
    B
    I talked to upper level admin and said that principals keep asking me "What is it that you want?" (like I'm a crazy, super-demanding tiger mother). What is it that I want? I want my children to make at least one year academic gain in every subject in school each year without being enriched/supplemented at home, just like what is expected of children of average abilities. No one knows how to reply to this. In their minds, the kid is already ahead, they have met the "standards" so there is no problem if they don't learn anything in school for years on end.
    There is no way my kids are going to eventually level out unless they learn absolutely nothing (either from home or school) in reading and math for the next 2-3 years in school. As long as they pass the school's standardized testing and they receive revenue for my children, that's all that matters. My kids are simply warm bodies that generate revenue, occupy space and produce scores. If they become too demanding in terms of "special needs" (god forbid they would have to hire another speech or occupational therapist to give my child 20 minutes per week), the school will try to figure out how to eliminate them.
    The crazy thing is, there are so many parents who would be willing to come in and help the school for free. Parents have offered to go into DD's class and pull the gifted cluster for math. Same thing for DS's class. I would go in and work with kids who are struggling too. I've done it before and have experience. But the school wants to keep parents out, then they complain about how hard their jobs are.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    I want my children to make at least one year academic gain in every subject in school each year without being enriched/supplemented at home, just like what is expected of children of average abilities. No one knows how to reply to this. In their minds, the kid is already ahead, they have met the "standards" so there is no problem if they don't learn anything in school for years on end.

Amen!!!

Awesome post, too, MonetFan!!!

Val Offline
    In their minds, the kid is already ahead, they have met the "standards" so there is no problem if they don't learn anything in school for years on end.

I've encountered this attitude. It's deeply ingrained. I suspect that different things drive it: stress over high-stakes tests, not understanding giftedness, and negative feelings about giftedness.

My eldest is taking a health class right now, and his textbook talks about the fact that people tend to fear people with mental illnesses because they're different. Obviously, giftedness isn't a mental illness, but gifties are different, and there's probably a lot that same reaction at work. Remember what Pastor Ray Mummert said about the teaching of evolution in schools a few years back:

Originally Posted by Ray Mummert
    We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people agree with this sentiment. Intelligent, educated people probably make no sense to many others in this country, and this would be scary in many ways. These people wave their college degrees and say stuff that makes no sense to me, and they want to influence policy.

Last edited by Val; 01/17/14 12:13 PM. Reason: More detail added
    P
    P
    I also find this a very common attitude. Our school district's stated goal is for every child to achieve to the full extent of his/her abilities. In practice though, if a student is at grade level or above, or gets a passing grade, then there is nothing to worry about.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Yes, our district's stated goal is for each child to find their course on the "personalized learning pathway." LOL! Then if you question them and say that your child is off course in terms of the "personalized learning pathway", they're not interested. All this upper level admin person cared about was the fact that DS is not being pulled out of class for his IEP minutes. Because she knows we can sue them and there are legal ramifications.

Personally I think gifted education should be mandated in every state. If a kid scores above the 98th percentile on an IQ test or achievement testing, they get a gifted/talented IEP. Of course, then school districts will complain about how this is unfunded (yet another unfunded mandate for them to deal with). And they will try to eliminate gifted kids just like they do special needs kids. If funding was guaranteed to them though, and they actually benefited financially from having gifted kids in their schools, imagine how well they would do.

D
    D
    And they will try to eliminate gifted kids just like they do special needs kids.

That has not been our experience. Our schools appear to be seeking to attract and retain gifted kids, presumably because they lift the standardized test scores and make the school look good.

What is not there is truly differentiated teaching for those kids: the program starts late, after many are already bored, and doesn't address differences within the gifted population. There's a lot to fix.

Blackcat, I'm sorry things sound so negative where you are.

And I do agree that appropriate funding-- both for kids with disabilities and for the gifted-- would help.

K
    K
    What is it that I want? I want my children to make at least one year academic gain in every subject in school each year without being enriched/supplemented at home, just like what is expected of children of average abilities. No one knows how to reply to this. In their minds, the kid is already ahead, they have met the "standards" so there is no problem if they don't learn anything in school for years on end.

Exactly! Unfortunately the focus is on level, not progress. Teachers and schools are evaluated based on the percentage of kids that are "on level" rather than the percentage of kids that have "made adequate progress". It's a fundamental flaw in funding, practice, and thinking.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by playandlearn
    I also find this a very common attitude. Our school district's stated goal is for every child to achieve to the full extent of his/her abilities. In practice though, if a student is at grade level or above, or gets a passing grade, then there is nothing to worry about.

Yes! Case in point: We are in a province that has a two year full day kindergarten program beginning at age 4. DD's class was given a list of words that they should know how to read and spell by the time they finish the two year program. She came home with the list of words and said mommy I know all of these words already. She actually does know all of them but she'll happily repeat and go over these words if the teacher asks because she's a pleaser.

After the holidays I asked her teacher when we would be receiving her next report card. She told me that we would get the next report card shortly and that they would be meeting only with the parents of children they have concerns about. Then she added that there was really no reason to meet about DD because she is fine. I suppose she thought that that would make me feel good about my child's progress this year.

I totally understand that there are students that need extra support/help in various areas or are not meeting the academic targets for the year and that it is important to meet with their parents. I have absolutely no problem with that. However, why isn't it important to discuss that my child already knows the current class work? Why is it ok for her to repeat things she already knows ad nauseam? At least meet with me and tell me that you know she knows it. At the VERY least give her one extra word to learn a week. Give me a list and I'll give her the one extra word to learn a week. Throw us a bone!!

If I were more complacent, I suppose I'd be satisfied with DD's teacher saying that there's nothing to meet about because it means that there is nothing to worry about by their standards. I'm sure that many gifted students blossom in third grade and that many have large leaps in understanding. In our situation, though, it looks like the "everything will even out in third grade" adage is something that the district is actually working towards rather than something that happens organically. If DD were to rely solely on her school for all of her input and they place a limit on the amount they allow her to receive, then of course she would even out.

I will state for the record that I do like DD's teachers. They have helped her with a lot of non academic skills and are kind and nurturing. We're okay for now with me afterschooling but I worry about the future.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Lovemydd
    This is kind of relevant here so I am posting. I am researching published gifted programs in our school district as well as neighboring districts to figure out DD's schooling options 2 years from now (Yup, I am a planner:)). One school district that is highly rated has this selection criteria for G&T starting in 4th grade: Any student with an IQ of >110 or any student even with <110 IQ if recommended by a teacher. So, I am thinking it is basically 90% of the class as that district is inhabited by engineers, doctors and professors whose kids would most likely be above average IQ. So, what is the point? If this is the norm for most public school G&T programs, I can see how the average teacher is just tired to listening to the term "my gifted kid".

I would be a bit concerned about that too. 110 is basically average IQ.

The article didn't offend me as far as his point of view. I was offended on behalf of the person he was talking about. It was a cheap shot and taking advantage.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM