Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    sreedevi9, agen, Postini, Phaedenit, babyrazia
    10900 Registered Users
    January
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Page 218 of 263 < 1 2 ... 216 217 218 219 220 ... 262 263 >
    Topic Options
    #179149 - 01/10/14 01:13 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: HowlerKarma]
    ColinsMum Offline

Loc: Scotland
    Yay, congratulations to HK's DD!

#179161 - 01/10/14 06:57 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: HowlerKarma]
    Dude Offline

Originally Posted By: HowlerKarma
    Oh-- and same day, the Navy recruiter called her about service academy/ROTC. She could have just mentioned that she was only 14... but took a different approach by politely informing the recruiter that she is "ineligible to join any branch of the armed forces due to a disqualifying medical condition." There was clear disappointment on the other end of the line, and DD had a moment of no small amount of schadenfreude, I could see, because she regards that list of automatic medical DQ's as being the most ridiculous thing ever.

If I recall correctly, your DD has some life-threatening food allergies, and while I don't know what other medical DQ's the two of you might find amusing, I can promise you that, with the way they prepare foods, the Navy is almost guaranteed to kill her. Space is at a premium, and therefore cross-contamination is nearly guaranteed.

There was a meal offered just before midnight for those on late watches. It consisted of the reheated leftovers of food nobody wanted to eat at lunch or dinner. The only other option was every food allergist's worst nightmare: peanut butter.

Heck, I have no food issues, and they took a toll on my health, just from poor quality. I was already underweight to begin with, and I dropped 15 pounds in a 3-month cruise. The next time I went out for 6 months, I dropped another 15 pounds, and this despite advance planning... we hit Costco the night before and stored a ton of non-perishable food in our work space.

#179167 - 01/10/14 07:25 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Lovemydd Offline

HK, This is awesome, no kidding, wonderful news!Hooray to your DD! Is the school close to where you live now?I remember reading in some of your other posts about possibly having to move so you can stay with her when she attends college. I am curious to know about the logistics of sending a 14yo to college. Maybe you would start a new thread to discuss some of the "yay, this is so cool" to "OMG, what are we going to do about that" conversations that your family is having.
    CONGRATULATIONS!

#179182 - 01/10/14 08:57 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    ultramarina Offline

GREAT news, HK! smile

#179195 - 01/10/14 10:40 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    madeinuk Offline

Loc: NJ
    Fantastic (and inspiring) news.

Big hooray to HK's DD indeed!

#179204 - 01/10/14 11:17 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    HelloBaby Offline

Congrats to HK's DD!

#179241 - 01/10/14 10:13 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Melessa Offline

First, HK, yay! Congrats to you and your dd!

I feel kinda silly posting, but so proud for my ds6.

Even with his fine motor weakness and vision issues; he has just mastered how to read and play music on his violin. Last week, his homework was to read and pluck. After 2 tries, he developed a strategy and increased speed. At his lesson today, using his bow was added and a song! But to see the moment early this week when he "figured it out" was awesome to see! He was so proud (which is much easier to deal with than the extreme frustration as he was working on it).

#179243 - 01/11/14 05:57 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Lovemydd Offline

Melessa, please don't feel silly. Every brag here is celebrated equally and you have very good reasons to be proud of your little one. I came here not to brag but to ask if anyone can shed some light on the legitimacy of Creative Communications (poeticpower.com). Someone on this board mentioned it and I entered dd4 poem in their contest. I got an acceptance email but now I am thinking it is just a scam. Sorry if this is not an appropriate post.

#179244 - 01/11/14 06:07 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    cricket3 Offline

Hi LovemyDD- first, totally agree about the brags, I love to read all of them!

When DD was younger she entered a contest through Creative Communications, organized by our school's gifted teacher. Mixed feelings- DD was super-excited when her work was chosen for the published book, so it was a great motivator for her, and gave her some external recognition for something that didn't really get any notice at all among her peers/school. However, my feeling is that the contests exist mainly to get parents to purchase the books. You certainly don't have to buy one (and our school stressed that they purchase one for the school library so parents don't feel pressured). So, knowing that, I think it really depends what you want out of it. There is no downside I'm aware of to sending in her work, but because we went through the school, I didn't really have anything to do with that. We do still get email invitations for DD to enter things and also to review entries for other contests, but she has not participated since the school contest.

#179245 - 01/11/14 08:20 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Lovemydd]
    Irena Offline

Originally Posted By: Lovemydd
    I came here not to brag but to ask if anyone can shed some light on the legitimacy of Creative Communications (poeticpower.com). Someone on this board mentioned it and I entered dd4 poem in their contest. I got an acceptance email but now I am thinking it is just a scam. Sorry if this is not an appropriate post.

Oh interesting. My DS entered this, too. His was also picked to be published and then supposedly a published poem is in the finals from which they pick top ten winners. Gosh I hope it is not a scam. But he feels proud to see his work in print and be a finalist. If he is actually one of ten winners, it'll have been worth it. He's also in the Totem Head Short Story Contest. That definitely does not seem like a scam.

Page 218 of 263 < 1 2 ... 216 217 218 219 220 ... 262 263 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Open college classes to everyone
    by mithawk
    08:02 AM
    Flipped Classroom
    by aeh
    01/18/21 02:15 PM
    Counting to 10
    by aquinas
    01/18/21 09:04 AM