Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 218 of 268 1 2 216 217 218 219 220 267 268
    L
    L
    HK, This is awesome, no kidding, wonderful news!Hooray to your DD! Is the school close to where you live now?I remember reading in some of your other posts about possibly having to move so you can stay with her when she attends college. I am curious to know about the logistics of sending a 14yo to college. Maybe you would start a new thread to discuss some of the "yay, this is so cool" to "OMG, what are we going to do about that" conversations that your family is having.
    CONGRATULATIONS!

U
    U
    GREAT news, HK! smile

Fantastic (and inspiring) news.

Big hooray to HK's DD indeed!

Become what you are
    H
    H
    Congrats to HK's DD!

M
    M
    First, HK, yay! Congrats to you and your dd!

I feel kinda silly posting, but so proud for my ds6.

Even with his fine motor weakness and vision issues; he has just mastered how to read and play music on his violin. Last week, his homework was to read and pluck. After 2 tries, he developed a strategy and increased speed. At his lesson today, using his bow was added and a song! But to see the moment early this week when he "figured it out" was awesome to see! He was so proud (which is much easier to deal with than the extreme frustration as he was working on it).

L
    L
    Melessa, please don't feel silly. Every brag here is celebrated equally and you have very good reasons to be proud of your little one. I came here not to brag but to ask if anyone can shed some light on the legitimacy of Creative Communications (poeticpower.com). Someone on this board mentioned it and I entered dd4 poem in their contest. I got an acceptance email but now I am thinking it is just a scam. Sorry if this is not an appropriate post.

C
    C
    Hi LovemyDD- first, totally agree about the brags, I love to read all of them!

When DD was younger she entered a contest through Creative Communications, organized by our school's gifted teacher. Mixed feelings- DD was super-excited when her work was chosen for the published book, so it was a great motivator for her, and gave her some external recognition for something that didn't really get any notice at all among her peers/school. However, my feeling is that the contests exist mainly to get parents to purchase the books. You certainly don't have to buy one (and our school stressed that they purchase one for the school library so parents don't feel pressured). So, knowing that, I think it really depends what you want out of it. There is no downside I'm aware of to sending in her work, but because we went through the school, I didn't really have anything to do with that. We do still get email invitations for DD to enter things and also to review entries for other contests, but she has not participated since the school contest.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Lovemydd
    I came here not to brag but to ask if anyone can shed some light on the legitimacy of Creative Communications (poeticpower.com). Someone on this board mentioned it and I entered dd4 poem in their contest. I got an acceptance email but now I am thinking it is just a scam. Sorry if this is not an appropriate post.

Oh interesting. My DS entered this, too. His was also picked to be published and then supposedly a published poem is in the finals from which they pick top ten winners. Gosh I hope it is not a scam. But he feels proud to see his work in print and be a finalist. If he is actually one of ten winners, it'll have been worth it. He's also in the Totem Head Short Story Contest. That definitely does not seem like a scam.

I
    I
    I found this about it on the Davidson website: http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Resources_id_10045.aspx

Z
    Z
    It's a common format like Who's Who books. Ultimately it sells books, but it makes sense for the competition to be totally above board on the actual winners. The adult variations of these also get people up front with submission or reading fees. Then again, there are much more expensive ways to feel good about one's effort.

Page 218 of 268 1 2 216 217 218 219 220 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM