Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #178585 01/04/14 07:34 AM
    M
    mithawk Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    DS12 has been playing chess competitively for about 4 years now. We are starting to see some significant benefits that we didn't think about when he started, that I wanted to share with the community.

1. Develops ability to think/study for many hours without tiring. When my son started, he would get mentally exhausted after two games that were up to an hour long. Now a single game can last up to six hours (in some national tournaments), and he can play two of them per day. He may fade some at the end of the second game, but he can probably go 8-10 hours per day of intense thinking.

2. Tests become easy. DS took the SAT last fall to qualify for Johns Hopkins SET. He found the 3 hour 45 minute exam "very relaxing", because that wasn't very long to concentrate, and he was allowed to take 3 breaks during the test.

3. Mental toughness. Chess has taught DS how to lose and stay composed. I know that competitive sports also provides the same benefits, but chess can be a good supplement/alternative for non-athletic kids.

There are other benefits as well, but #1 and #2 above were particularly unexpected.

U
    U
    Wow, six hours!

I'm glad to see you on the board, mithawk--my DS5 is continuing to progress in chess and I value your advice.

L
    L
    Thank you for the post. Both DC are taking chess and I've wondered whether there is a real benefit to having them continue.

Loy58 #178600 01/04/14 12:43 PM
    P
    P
    I thought I was going to teach my son chess. I was hoping for a couple of months winning something. He was ahead when we quit our first game and I remembered even when I eve could play fairly well my end game sucked.

Coming up with a plan B now.

U
    U
    Your son can still play even if you're not very good. smile I'm terrible, and my son beats me 100% of the time (he first beat me at age 3). My husband is better than I am but still loses to DS about 60% of the time (he was a chess novice like me when we started with the game, but has worked much harder on his game, madly studying tactics on his phone). It's kind of fun for me to see my DH lose all the time--he's really good at everything! wink

Your son can learn from computer programs and apps--there are a lot. A club is better, though.

A
    A
    Thank you for the timely reminder on the benefits of chess, mithawk. My 6 year old has attended chess school for 2 years now - though we don't see any brilliant progress in chess, we have seen a noticeable improvement in visualization, thinking multiple steps ahead, weighing many factors simultaneously and abstract thinking.
    I too have wondered if there are any real life benefits in taking chess classes because there are other activities that can provide similar benefits too. Your post is encouraging to me!

ETA: We also notice a drastic improvement in pattern recognition skills in the past year.

Last edited by ashley; 01/04/14 01:32 PM.
    Originally Posted by mithawk
    2. Tests become easy. DS took the SAT last fall to qualify for Johns Hopkins SET. He found the 3 hour 45 minute exam "very relaxing", because that wasn't very long to concentrate, and he was allowed to take 3 breaks during the test.

This is only a result of chess if you don't love tests in the first place.

I always though that the SAT was a fun experience.

I never had an interest in chess because it was extremely finite and struck me as somewhat boring.

Go is honestly probably a better game for what everybody is trying to accomplish here.

Granted, my idea of fun ran more toward card games and strategy games.

S
    S
    I think it is so important for people to find their thing.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    M
    mithawk Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Originally Posted by mithawk
    This is only a result of chess if you don't love tests in the first place.

I always though that the SAT was a fun experience.

My point is slightly different. Both DS & DD enjoy school and tests. But when DD (who doesn't play chess) took the test a few years ago, she was very tired at the end. DS was energized because it was fun and easy for him.

Originally Posted by JonLaw
    I never had an interest in chess because it was extremely finite and struck me as somewhat boring.

Go is honestly probably a better game for what everybody is trying to accomplish here.

Perhaps chess is finite, but when you have to look 8-9 moves deep into a position to find the best move, visualizing the combinations is something I am incapable of, and something that my son has to think deeply about.

I've heard only good things about Go as well.

M
    mithawk Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by puffin
    I thought I was going to teach my son chess. I was hoping for a couple of months winning something. He was ahead when we quit our first game and I remembered even when I eve could play fairly well my end game sucked.

Coming up with a plan B now.

Your son might be ready for lessons.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM