Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by KADmom
    Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
    Irena, they no longer require PSSAs to graduate - it has gone to the Keystones (which is a huge mess). I have never heard of a kid opting out of the standardized testing. It is no big deal, though I hear that some districts try to make it a big deal.

I don't think that the testing really takes that long. My kids and most of their friends finished the testing in less than half the time given. Some teachers let them read when they finish early.

The plan with the Keystones was to have ten tests, and a student would need to pass at least six to graduate. They have had a tough time rolling out the tests, and there are only three available now - Algebra, Bio & English. DD Class of 2016 needs to pass those three, but I suspect that by the time your son (and my 4th grader) reach HS, the Keystone stuff will be figured out (or they'll revert to PSSAs).

You're right. They give plenty of time for the test. I meant that ds was finished in half the time allotted and was not allowed to do anything but draw or rest his head when he was finished. So sitting there and being quiet for another hour or more was long.

Ugh - either way would be bad for my DS .! Loll

B
    B
    I witnessed the state testing in the school I worked in last year. Lots of anxious kids coming out of class for the bathroom every half hour! The school made such a big deal of it and prepped the kids for months. Probably right after the new year started, for testing in March or April. Craziness. They even had an assembly before the test in an attempt to get the kids all pumped up about it (or put the pressure on).
    DS had a page on his IEP where the school checked a box to take it the normal way, take it with modifications, or not take it at all, so I know there are options here if a kid has an IEP. I would ask about it. That page wasn't filled out for DS because he's only in first grade.

L
    L
    We're not here yet, but I've saved this page. It has info on all the states:

http://unitedoptout.com/

Last edited by lilmisssunshine; 01/02/14 07:25 AM. Reason: spelling
    A
    A
    In response to the original question, here's a semi-relevant anecdote...

I called my twins' (public) middle school a few weeks ago to inquire how to opt my kids out of an administration of the Explore Test to all 8th graders (since they had taken the test thru Numats in 4th grade and were already pushing the ceiling then). This was the first time we had opted out of testing at this school, but when I spoke to the school administrator, he indicated that they have a few families opting out for every standardized test administration, and he specifically said this was the case for the annual state tests. I imagine the same would be true at most public schools.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by somewhereonearth
    We have practice state tests this year. They count for nothing, but they are given to students to get them "used to" doing the state tests.

So far, the state tests kind of count for nothing. They are not tied to the teacher's evaluation, they are not tied to funding, they don't go towards gifted program placement. If the school does very poorly as a whole, the school may lose it's charter. But that doesn't look very likely, as they compare to the surrounding public school district. Our school routinely does 20-30 points better than the surrounding district.

Of course, this may change. But I am planning to opt out of the practice tests this year. I also plan on opting out of all state tests until they start to count towards something tangible.
    I would not have my children opt out of standardized tests without a strong reason. Teachers' grades are not standardized. Your child may be getting 4's on a 1-4 scale, but you don't know fraction of students are getting 4's. (I think report cards at all level, including college, should provide information about the class distribution of grades.) Scores on state level tests provide comparative information.

My middle child likes working on released MCAS math tests at home, both at his grade level and above. He sees the latter, especially, as a challenge. Each test has a variety of problems, unlike many other tests students take.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I would not have my children opt out of standardized tests without a strong reason. Teachers' grades are not standardized. Your child may be getting 4's on a 1-4 scale, but you don't know fraction of students are getting 4's.

You also don't know what fraction of students deserve fours, and data without context is absolutely useless.

P
    P
    Irena, I haven't read all of the previous responses, and we're in a different state, so my advice may be completely useless to you, but fwiw, I think I'd wait to think this through until next year, simply because you'll have some more time to see how the test prep etc unfolds. I realize that you'll need lead time to opt out, so definitely go through that process of figuring out what will be required, but I'd leave the actual decision for awhile. This is why - just based on our situation in our state - which of course, is probably entirely irrelevant for you! smile

* Our state testing is really not terribly stressful compared to other types of tests my kids have taken (TerraNova etc). It also is not very difficult at all - my dysgraphic ds who had extreme challenges with written expression *still* scored one point shy of advanced (without any accommodations) on his first round of state testing in 3rd grade. (Note: hopefully your state's tests are a little bit more challenging and meaningful - seriously!)

* Our school district does use the state testing for some types of academic placement - it's not the only criteria but it's part of it.

* Our school district adds in nationally normed standardized tests as the students progress in grade levels (TerraNova, ITBS) - and those tests are required for placement into gifted programs in secondary school. They are tests that are longer and more potentially stressful (or have been for my kids)... and they are the tests that count the most. I think the state testing was helpful for my kids to just get used to the general idea of standardized tests (in a group setting) before they had to take the TN etc. I also think it was helpful for my ds starting in 4th grade to get used to taking tests with his accommodations (he had them starting in 4th, didn't have them in 3rd). He was very self-conscious about feeling different at that point in time, and it was helpful for his first experiences with having a "quiet" room (room with less students) and word processor.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Originally Posted by Irena
    It is no big deal, though I hear that some districts try to make it a big deal.

I hear they make it kind-of a big deal in my district. Haven't experienced it first hand yet myself though.

don't think that the testing really takes that long. My kids and most of their friends finished the testing in less than half the time given. Some teachers let them read when they finish early.

Hmm this is good to know. I know he's well above grade level in both reading an math so I know he'd probably do well... I just worry it would 'painful' physically and psychologically for him. However, maybe he'd be fine with it. It just seems like such an unnecessary thing to put him through.

My DD was tested "individually" by the school-- their decision, not mine.

"Special arrangements" were made so that a teacher proctored the tests in a safe and supportive setting.

This was written into my DD's 504 plan all along, btw.

IMO, you should work out accommodations (whatever you and they decide they need to be) in order to have him participate as appropriate.

DD never found the tests themselves at all stressful-- we emphasized to her that she had to take them seriously because they mattered to the school, but that her performance didn't matter a bit TO HER.

The individual testing meant that she took only as much time as required (as noted above-- it wasn't much)-- and got them out of the way during the 'first' testing window of the year, then didn't have to fuss with them the rest of the year.

Easy. Once we used the 504 plan to manage it.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM