Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 217 of 268 1 2 215 216 217 218 219 267 268
    Just got word that within two days of admitting DD, the state flagship Uni opted to offer her a merit scholarship (renewable, 4yr) which will cover 40% of her tuition (and she is still in the running for one of the sixty that cover full tuition, but we won't know about that until March sometime).

She is (reportedly-- 2 different sources) the youngest regular admit that the institution has ever had. (That is, a student coming directly from a senior year in high school, with a diploma and regular high school transcripts.)

Thank you guys so much for letting me crow a little about my girl! cool

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    F
    F
    congrats!

S
    S
    Yay...40%....and crossing fingers she gets full tuition. Do you know how many students are in the running for the 60 scholarships? Hundreds, thousands?

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    I
    I
    That's wonderful! Congratulations. Fingers crossed for you both that she gets the full scholarship! She's really on her way smile

A
    A
    Fabulous, Howler! Keep these lovely stories coming!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    D
    D
    Wow, HK, she's amazing.

Sometime I'd like to hear how you found her that science internship, BTW. You have done such a good job of making that education happen with and for her.

Thanks, everyone-- don't know how many students are "eligible" but estimating a reasonably normalized distribution and going by the median that they claim for admits, it's about 600-800 "eligible" students in the pool. Realistically, DD is probably in the top 100 of those. smile

Oh-- and same day, the Navy recruiter called her about service academy/ROTC. She could have just mentioned that she was only 14... but took a different approach by politely informing the recruiter that she is "ineligible to join any branch of the armed forces due to a disqualifying medical condition." There was clear disappointment on the other end of the line, and DD had a moment of no small amount of schadenfreude, I could see, because she regards that list of automatic medical DQ's as being the most ridiculous thing ever. Just figured I'd share that one for the other 2e parents here, who might appreciate it.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 01/09/14 09:00 PM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    Woot!!

C
    C
    Yay, congratulations to HK's DD!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Oh-- and same day, the Navy recruiter called her about service academy/ROTC. She could have just mentioned that she was only 14... but took a different approach by politely informing the recruiter that she is "ineligible to join any branch of the armed forces due to a disqualifying medical condition." There was clear disappointment on the other end of the line, and DD had a moment of no small amount of schadenfreude, I could see, because she regards that list of automatic medical DQ's as being the most ridiculous thing ever.

If I recall correctly, your DD has some life-threatening food allergies, and while I don't know what other medical DQ's the two of you might find amusing, I can promise you that, with the way they prepare foods, the Navy is almost guaranteed to kill her. Space is at a premium, and therefore cross-contamination is nearly guaranteed.

There was a meal offered just before midnight for those on late watches. It consisted of the reheated leftovers of food nobody wanted to eat at lunch or dinner. The only other option was every food allergist's worst nightmare: peanut butter.

Heck, I have no food issues, and they took a toll on my health, just from poor quality. I was already underweight to begin with, and I dropped 15 pounds in a 3-month cruise. The next time I went out for 6 months, I dropped another 15 pounds, and this despite advance planning... we hit Costco the night before and stored a ton of non-perishable food in our work space.

Page 217 of 268 1 2 215 216 217 218 219 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM