Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 216 of 268 1 2 214 215 216 217 218 267 268
    U
    U
    Unsurprisingly, both of my children can whup me mercilessly in Blokus, which we just borrowed from a friend. wink DD9 especially--she immediately discovered a bunch of killer strategies. I was pleased for her, since DS5 gets a lot of attention these days for his chess game.

Gosh, I love this thread. cool

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    What I love about watching my DD win at Blokus is when she declares to her opponents (and she beats both DW and I sometimes) 'there is no way you can win now' - and she is right. She also does while playing Chess at times.

Become what you are
    U
    U
    I just love watching my kids beat my husband at anything, since he's beat me at all games not involving acting or words for the past (ahem-ahem) years. wink Taste of your own...genes, buddy.

U
    U
    But I came in to brag that DD9 won a citizenship award for kindness to others at school. <3 She IS kind to others. (Well. Not her brother.)

L
    L
    smile madeinuk and ultramarina Loved your posts!
    Today when I went to pick DD4 up, her teacher commented that DD's math is through the roof and she (the teacher) feels bad about giving her kindergarten worksheets as DD would likely find them too boring! DD chimed in to confirm and added that "the worksheets are too easy which means BORING"! It was heartwarming to see a teacher who can look at things from the kid's perspective.

W
    W
    Algebra 2 Honors in 8th grade (geometry in 7th)
    Perfect AMC 8 score
    321 math MAP
    272 reading MAP

Earlier this year, DD8 was revisited by an old problem, when a new librarian began at her school, and DD was prevented from accessing certain books at the school library. She expressed her frustration, but asked us to hold off on any official complaints to the school, as she was currently finding suitable literature in her GT teacher's small classroom bookshelf.

Last night, we got an update: "You don't have to worry about talking to the school about library books. I took the STAR test today, and my score was four-point(something) to eleven-point(something)."

I assume this is a grade-equivalent score. We haven't actually seen anything. We only have DD's oral report.

The upshot being, of course, that the librarian uses the STAR score to control access, and there shouldn't be anything in a K-6 library higher than eleven-point(something).

S
    S
    The only problem my son has now (about the same STAR range as your daughter) is that he has to ask permission to go under his STaR range which is a pain...he isn't going to read Hop On Pop but sometimes there will be series of books where most of them are 4.8 and above but one might be 4.4 for some reason. I think it is ridiculous and he should read whatever he wants. I understand 70% of the kids need guidance in selection (I am volunteering about three hours a day there and see a lot) some kids just need for the adults to stay out of the way.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    Originally Posted by Sweetie
    some kids just need for the adults to stay out of the way.

Agree 100%. I've got a stock phrase I repeat every time this becomes a conflict in DD's school: "DD should not be prevented from accessing any book in a school library that she wants to read."

Page 216 of 268 1 2 214 215 216 217 218 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM