Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 213 of 268 1 2 211 212 213 214 215 267 268
    L
    L
    Dd4 is reading! Yay! Dd has been surprising us with her math and science reasoning abilities for a long time now but never showed any interest in reading. We read a lot to her but other than that have not used any method to teach her to read. I was thinking of starting to formally teach her to read but wanted to know what she knows. So 2 weeks ago, I tried to see if she can read. I wrote 10 long sentences (7-12 word sentences) with a mix of sight and phonetic words ( words like kind, beautiful, like, crayons, etc) and she read them all. She seems to know most of her sight words, guessed some of words based on context and phonetically read and in some cases corrected based on context. She was not extremely slow either. Would you guys consider this reading? She still has no interest in reading books or reading spontaneously but I am not going to force her. I think she will get there soon enough.

S
    S
    At the beginning stages of reading both my boys enjoyed writing over reading...they enjoyed drawing pictures (or having me draw pictures for them to color...they told me what to draw) and then they labeled or captioned by themselves or dictated to me...nobody said boo if they spelled something wrong but if they asked for a spelling I always gave it to them (that is my version of inventive spelling). They loved stapling these books together and then reading them over and over.

The other thing they liked a lot were these readers called we both read where the adult or older sibling reads the left side and the new reader only reads the right side. Later my kids would just read both sides without me.

http://www.webothread.com/server/TreasureBay/website/main/scripts/default.asp

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    U
    U
    TorsMama, that is super cool! There is a boy from our town on that list as well. Is he going to the championships in Orlando? (We are not.)

D
    D
    DD5 learned long division this morning in about a minute and a half. she was actually predicting what we should do next as i started to show her - i think she did more of the teaching than i did. wheee / hold me, i'm scared.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    DD5 learned long division this morning in about a minute and a half. she was actually predicting what we should do next as i started to show her - i think she did more of the teaching than i did. wheee / hold me, i'm scared.

((Hugs!))

What is to give light must endure burning.
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    TorsMama, that is super cool! There is a boy from our town on that list as well. Is he going to the championships in Orlando? (We are not.)

Thanks! His current rating is 1192; his goal was to be at 1000 by the time he turned seven. He just turned 6.5 end of Oct. so he blew that goal out of the water. smile no, we just do local stuff; I have two other kids younger than he and about to have a fourth baby. So not much traveling. We will go to k-12 nationals in the Dallas area in the spring though, that is only 2 hrs from us.

U
    U
    DS's chess club coach has been trying to get us to take him to Orlando, but I can't quite see spending money on this at this stage. (It is driveable for us, but hotel, etc.) Is your son in a school club, and are you experiencing any pressure from others to push him to compete more?

T
    T
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    DS's chess club coach has been trying to get us to take him to Orlando, but I can't quite see spending money on this at this stage. (It is driveable for us, but hotel, etc.) Is your son in a school club, and are you experiencing any pressure from others to push him to compete more?

No, he is homeschooled. He and my DH started a local chess club this year that he participates in. It's mostly adults but as he likes interacting with adults this is ok. He plays in usually two local tournaments a month (one k-12 and one adult). He took a few lessons way back when he was four from a local master and the coach really wanted him to continue but we just couldn't afford it.

A
    A
    Tonight at dinner, DS2 was playing tic-tac-toe with my mum. She drew out about eight frames for them to complete.

Turn 1: DS marks "x" in the center of a grid.

Turn 2: Grandma marks "o" in the top right former.

Turn 3: DS marks "x" in the center of all the remaining frames then smiles disarmingly at Grandma.

My game theory work is apparently heritable.

He also talks in riddles non-stop. It's fun to have insight into how his mind processes the information. Case in point: "what truck can move in more than one direction at the same time?" His answer: an articulated truck.

I'm also certain he can read more than we thought previously. Last night, he read to me most of a new book he'd never yet seen. He's my little enigma.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    L
    L
    Went to the LEGO store yesterday with DS5 and DD22months. I pushed DD up to the play table in her stroller so that she could stand on it because they didn't have a stool. I just wanted to keep her occupied while I browsed. She demanded the LEGOs of girly colors and we started passing her some of the regular rectangular bricks with the 8 bumps on top.

Didn't she start building her own tower? She was putting them together by herself and all in all, the tower grew to be well over 50 pieces. The most impressive parts were that she did this for at least 15minutes of intense concentration; she would dig through the big bucket of random LEGO pieces and pull out the exact size she needed, and when she didn't have any more of the 8-bump pieces (there's probably a LEGO term for that), she put two 4-bump pieces together.

laugh

Page 213 of 268 1 2 211 212 213 214 215 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM