Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 243 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Jenny04, JamesD, SandyC8, Fer, Dilan294335
    10865 Registered Users
    December
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5
    6 7 8 9 10 11 12
    13 14 15 16 17 18 19
    20 21 22 23 24 25 26
    27 28 29 30 31
    Page 215 of 263 < 1 2 ... 213 214 215 216 217 ... 262 263 >
    Topic Options
    #178469 - 01/02/14 08:33 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    aquinas Offline

That's impressive squishys! I bet that felt exhilarating, especially for such a young boy!

#178471 - 01/02/14 08:36 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    aquinas Offline

DS2 just invented a truck that cleans dirty snow called a "cleaner gleaner truck". Apparently it pulls in snow like a snowblower, melts the water, filters out the dirt, then freezes the clean water back into snow and sprays it out a chute. Is it weird that part of me wants to build one now? wink

#178472 - 01/02/14 08:40 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    aquinas Offline

Mana, I'm running out of superlatives. I like your DD's spunk but am starting to commiserate now that DS negotiates everything. So I'm starting to understand the idea of teenage sass from a toddler.

#178491 - 01/02/14 12:53 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    HelloBaby Offline

I have 2 extra reserved kids.

DS5 used to sit on my lap and refused to participate for weeks when we attended mommy-and-me classes.

During the Christmas program at school, he was singing and dancing confidentially the whole time in front of hundreds of strangers. It literally brought tears to my eyes.

Sorry, not your typical brag…

#178502 - 01/02/14 03:05 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: HelloBaby]
    indigo Offline

Originally Posted By: HelloBaby
    singing and dancing confidently
    What a heart-warmer! It is wonderful to see kids' confidence bloom like this. Thanks for sharing! smile

#178506 - 01/02/14 05:05 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: ]
    SAHM Offline

Loc: Mountains, USA
    Originally Posted By: squishys
    He wasn't fussed lol. He truly believes he is a four year dare-devil- it's just amazing what he can do. I know some two year olds can ride a three wheeler, but a two wheeler?

Squishy, my then 2 year old could ride a 2 wheeler without training wheels. If he doesn't have one, I definitely recommend buying a balance bike like a Stryder or similar.

#178519 - 01/02/14 10:55 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: aquinas]
    Mana Offline

Originally Posted By: aquinas
    So I'm starting to understand the idea of teenage sass from a toddler.

I'm not sure if this is going to work for your DS but I finally found a way to get even with DD and take full advantage of the fact that she is three and not actually 13. When she is immersed in her imaginative play and wants me to play along, I assign myself a role that puts me in charge without a shadow of a doubt. So if she is a fairy then I'm the queen of the fairy land. If she is Cinderella then I'm her fairy godmother whose terms are non-negotiable. I try to reinforce the idea that I'm not an evil dictator on a power trip and I'm simply doing my job which is to ensure her safety so she can have as much fun as possible and to teach her necessary skills to navigate the world successfully. I don't know if the big message is sinking in but she is a lot more compliant when she is a Starfleet cadet and I'm the captain of the ship. wink

#178526 - 01/03/14 05:53 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Mana]
    aquinas Offline

Originally Posted By: Mana
    Originally Posted By: aquinas
    So I'm starting to understand the idea of teenage sass from a toddler.

I'm not sure if this is going to work for your DS but I finally found a way to get even with DD and take full advantage of the fact that she is three and not actually 13. When she is immersed in her imaginative play and wants me to play along, I assign myself a role that puts me in charge without a shadow of a doubt. So if she is a fairy then I'm the queen of the fairy land. If she is Cinderella then I'm her fairy godmother whose terms are non-negotiable. I try to reinforce the idea that I'm not an evil dictator on a power trip and I'm simply doing my job which is to ensure her safety so she can have as much fun as possible and to teach her necessary skills to navigate the world successfully. I don't know if the big message is sinking in but she is a lot more compliant when she is a Starfleet cadet and I'm the captain of the ship. wink

I'm officially going to test that, Mana. Thanks!

#178529 - 01/03/14 06:22 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Lovemydd Offline

Mana, I smiled when I read your post because I use the exact opposite strategy with my DD. Since we spend about 1/2 of our waking hours in pretend play, I often choose roles where she is in charge of me. I then trouble her with all the stuff that she troubles me with in real life and watch how she tackles that. I find that being in my shoes helps her see the other side. Plus I really love it when she says "but baby" in an exasperated voice. I know I sound sadistic but believe me I am not. It is just awfully cute smile

#178532 - 01/03/14 06:30 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Lovemydd]
    Dude Offline

Originally Posted By: Lovemydd
    Mana, I smiled when I read your post because I use the exact opposite strategy with my DD. Since we spend about 1/2 of our waking hours in pretend play, I often choose roles where she is in charge of me. I then trouble her with all the stuff that she troubles me with in real life and watch how she tackles that. I find that being in my shoes helps her see the other side.

We did this. The day DW and I played troublemaker students to DD's teacher was hilarious. We had to keep checking with DD to make sure she was enjoying the game, though. Turns out she was playing her role REALLY well, because she sure seemed exasperated to us.

To be honest, I never played like Mana suggests, because that's how we parented in everyday life, so we didn't need to pretend. Plus, it was no fun for us adults AT ALL. If I'm going to role play, I want to play as someone I'm not.

Page 215 of 263 < 1 2 ... 213 214 215 216 217 ... 262 263 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Queen's Gambit, chess, and gifted children
    by mithawk
    Yesterday at 09:52 PM
    A Progressive Assault on Selective High Schools
    by Eagle Mum
    11/30/20 11:12 AM
    Children need free time to find their passions
    by Wren
    11/30/20 04:55 AM