Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 50 of 131 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 130 131
    OP Offline
    So when you have a high school senior, they get a LOT of e-mails from colleges.

This, today, from UPenn:

[quote]

86% of students have an internship to compliment their studies while enrolled at Penn.

Yeah, well, nothing like a major usage faux pas to draw the applications from the 'best and brightest' eh?

DD remarks:

Who would my internship say all these nice things to, anyway? Is this like complimentary hotel chocolates? 'oh, you don't look fat! Eat me!'

grin

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    2 somewhat funny snippets:

Ds6 had finished almost all his math assignments from school on the computer. Last week, he took map testing. Monday, he asks, "mom, can I finish the math? I wanna know what happens when I'm done."
    He logs in. (Map had linked to the program. He has new assignments.) "Mommy, look! I have new assignments. I can't wait to see what they are!" I had to peel him off the computer 2 hrs later.

Ds3.5- at the bookstore, talking to a nearby grandmother. He overhears her talking about Santa. "Santa's not real. Neither are the elves. He has no magic sleigh and can't really fit down our chimney."
    (We have told him we believe in Santa. My 6 yr old does- or atleast tells me he does.)

Last edited by Melessa; 12/17/13 09:49 PM.
    OP Offline
    DD14:

"Ferris Bueller is my spirit animal."

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Lovemydd
    The best part is it was snowing outside and DD has been waiting for this day but she decided to stay inside instead so " I can finish this machine before I have to go to college. Don't want to wait till the last minute." Sorry this got long but I had an entertaining morning watching DD build and talk continuously.

Love the part about finishing it before she has to go to college.

A
    A
    Animal spirit brings me to this fun anecdote:

I am not living with a little human boy, but rather a batling. DS2 has spent the last 3 weeks fully immersed in his alter-ego role of a ghost-faced batling. When he half-wakes at night to nurse, I get, "Mummy bat, can I please nurse?" He even talks in his sleep about echolocation, finding nectar, and dodging around stalagmites in "our cave." I have to hand it to him, he's committed to the role.

At one point I forgot his species and mistakenly called him a Jamaican fruit eating bat, but I was given a stern talking-to about how he uses echolocation to eat insects, not find fruits. Yeeesh, Mum, try to keep up will you? wink

What is to give light must endure burning.
    S
    S
    DS4 has been telling his three year old friends that they are going to die. "But don't worry," he reassured one little girl, "I'm going to die too."

Death has been on his mind a lot lately, and he's also concerned about growing up and having to move out of the house someday. He told me not to worry though, that he would call me every day.

OP Offline
    Does this kind of reassurance work? I can so picture my DD3-6yo telling agemates that kind of thing... and me apologizing to their horrified parents. blush Not that such a thing ever happened. {ahem}

DD shared this with everyone this morning-- I thought about just PM-ing it around, but it was too darned funny not to share more widely with this particular group!

http://themetapicture.com/scientists-tell-the-truth/

I found the Fisher, Reviewer 1 and Tom Petty comments particularly amusing. They all sound like snarky things that I've actually heard (or thought).

In fact, I'm recalling a musing "So how do you say 'With all due respect, why was Reviewer 2 even ON this paper? Clearly s/he lacks the necessary background to understand the work,' without being obnoxious??"

This was apparently my function in most workplaces I've been in, actually; finding ways to state the unthinkable without actually doing so. LOL. There's certainly an art to it.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    In fact, I'm recalling a musing "So how do you say 'With all due respect, why was Reviewer 2 even ON this paper? Clearly s/he lacks the necessary background to understand the work,' without being obnoxious??"

Reviewer 2 was on this paper because I'd asked 6 other people to review, of whom 2 said an immediate no, 3 failed to reply to the review invitation despite reminders, and one promised a review "tomorrow" every other day for a month #overlyhonesteditors

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    OP Offline
    LOL-- also true.

Reviewer 2 was actually the least senior graduate student in the lab, because the others already have research assistantships, thereby eliminating a meaningful means of coercion in terms of forcing a review of this paper, and it's not as though I actually review things myself, but I rationalize this as "training" for the students and post-docs #overlyhonestreviewers wink

22B Offline
    If the reviewer has been reading my paper at one page per month they should be done with my paper any moment now. #overlyhonestauthors

Page 50 of 131 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM