Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 214 of 268 1 2 212 213 214 215 216 267 268
    T
    T
    This month, my son moved up to #67 in UFCF's Top 100 (Ages 7 & Under) list for chess players in the USA. This also makes him #15 in the state of Texas for his age group! If you count only his age, six years old, he is #8 in the country and #3 in the state. Pretty excited for him!

S
    S
    Hi
    This is my first post. My grandson 2yr 4 months never ceases to amaze me. He is totally engrossed with the alphabet and spends hours making words and writing sentences on his big magnetic board to his parents. Two months ago, he knew the whole chicka chicka boom boom book by heart and understood what was on each page as his eyes followed the sentences and he turned all the pages accordingly. He is now counting to 100. Is he gifted? I think so.
    His father, my son, graduated high school with honours at age 12 with all his final high school exams in physics, chemistry, history, English etc, high SAT and also first year university calculus with an A. Entered university at 13 in math and computer science. Now is a technical director age 29 and a great people person. Radical acceleration worked wonders with him. I was a single parent throughout with a demanding job.
    I really would like my grandson to have a "normal" experience in school for 12 years but can see the challenges ahead for his parents. I live in Canada.

L
    L
    Welcome, Shameine Ali! Your grandson sure sounds gifted, just like his father. What fun it must be to watch your grandson!
    doubtfulguest, long division at age 5! Oh boy, I hope you are prepared to move at the pace your DD is setting for you.
    Tor'sMama, CONGRATULATIONS! This is amazing!

L
    L
    Wanted to share a poem DD4 wrote recently.

Winter Tree Star

In December, one fine night
    There was a tree jingling with light
    In the dark of the night
    There was a star twinkling on top

In golden color and
    Jingling and jangling and glowing
    In the night
    In the height

There was a kid
    who loved the tree.

Last edited by Lovemydd; 12/24/13 01:37 PM.
    S
    S
    Love the poem...are you sure she is only 4???

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Cranberry
    Hi all, newbie here. My DD9 (did I get that right - 9 yr old daughter?) just received her NWEA standardized test scores. Her Math and Reading scores both put her above the 99th percentile.
    Also, since this is the place to shamelessly brag, she recently earned her 2nd degree Tae Kwon Do black belt and performed her spring solo piano recital.

DD9 just got her results from the ACT Explore test, an 8th grade test that our local university's Talent Search program uses to differentiate 3rd-6th grade kids that get 98/99th percentile on the standard tests. She scored at the 82nd percentile of 8th graders who took the test, as a 4th grader - top 10% of the gifted kids who've taken the test. We'll be meeting with the school gifted coordinators soon to go through the Iowa Acceleration assessment - they've been reluctant to do anything without "meaningful data".

D
    D
    whoa, Lovemydd - you need to start The Ultimate Poem Thread right away! that is really, really marvellous.

and ha, yeah - i feel like i'm really just getting to know DD5 - i never, ever thought she would eat curriculum like this. i have no plan that makes any degree of sense, so i'm just going to follow her for a bit - it's lucky she's interested in EVERYTHING. smile

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    M
    M
    DD is starting to tell her own stories and they are actually quite good with many colorful descriptive words. One of them started with "In a dark dark forest, a little girl found herself lost in the shadow..." but I cut her off mid sentence to ask her if she was reciting a story she remembers or if it was her own story. She replied, "It's my own story and I'm working on creating a whimsical ambiance so don't interrupt me!"

I did reprimand her for being sassy.

A
    A
    That's impressive squishys! I bet that felt exhilarating, especially for such a young boy!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    DS2 just invented a truck that cleans dirty snow called a "cleaner gleaner truck". Apparently it pulls in snow like a snowblower, melts the water, filters out the dirt, then freezes the clean water back into snow and sprays it out a chute. Is it weird that part of me wants to build one now? wink

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 214 of 268 1 2 212 213 214 215 216 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM