Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by CCN
    Originally Posted by nicoledad
    What I don't understand if people's schools are so bad why send them there.

Some people simply don't have a choice. They are unable to, for whatever reason (financial, etc), keep their kids at home to homeschool.

As for the original post, I would have left the teacher out of the equation and simply said to my child that teachers are like anyone - sometimes they are wrong. It's that simple.

In our house, I'm in charge of our kids' education. Period. The school has made recommendations that I have followed, and others that I have declined. I have the final say.

I have an issue with school staff assessing students and implementing education strategies based on their limited setting-based and individualized exposure to each child. They simply don't know my kids the way that I do. They don't know the "whole" child.

I also have issues with curriculum gaps (lack of "drill and kill" for math facts being one - some kids, like my ADHD son, simply need it). If I left the school in charge of math, my son would reach high school completely calculator dependent.

Might I also mention, while we're on the subject of math, that in my grade 6 daughter's class, they are required to use calculators rather than having been taught things like basic percent calculations. I could go on, and on...

...and on, and on... lol

Not to mention the fact that each teacher has my child for one year (usually). After those ten months are through, the teacher moves on to the next batch of kids and what happens to my child is no longer relevant to her. Meanwhile, I have the responsibility of ensuring that my child is ready for adulthood, so I see the impact of poor decisions later on.,/b>

Who's responsible? Me. Period.

Agreed!

N
    N
    No school at least to me can possibly meet the needs of every student.There slogan though isn't going to be we'll do what we please. I do remember the second grade days of my daughter passing out the multiplication tests to the rest of the class since she was already done. In our case homeschooling wouldn't of worked more because she'd wouldn't of liked that. She still mutters about books that aren't at her level (she's in a magnet program which is housed at a regular grade school). She's going to jr high next year and I was looking at the different tracks (math levels) and realized Calculus BC is 10th grade. There's other math but its sort of the end of the line for her. More my point is you can challenge them so much now but at a certain point(high school?) then what? I guess my daughter never complained that much when she was younger about the easy schoolwork. More my point and I'm not suggesting you but some overanalyze the situation their child is in and make it into something it's not.

A
    A
    More my point is you can challenge them so much now but at a certain point(high school?) then what?

You challenge them some more. You keep meeting your children at their level. It's not like the universe of knowable information is neatly self-contained in high school curricula.

To CCN's point, parents are the individuals equipped with the most accurate and contemporaneous understanding of their child's needs and abilities. Parents can choose to outsource some of their duty of care to outside educators, but they are ultimately the ones legally and morally responsible for providing their children with an appropriate education. Where the buck stops, there lies the power.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by KADmom
    Originally Posted by CCN
    What I don't understand if people's schools are so bad why send them there.

Some people simply don't have a choice. They are unable to, for whatever reason (financial, etc), keep their kids at home to homeschool.

As for the original post, I would have left the teacher out of the equation and simply said to my child that teachers are like anyone - sometimes they are wrong. It's that simple.

In our house, I'm in charge of our kids' education. Period. The school has made recommendations that I have followed, and others that I have declined. I have the final say.

I have an issue with school staff assessing students and implementing education strategies based on their limited setting-based and individualized exposure to each child. They simply don't know my kids the way that I do. They don't know the "whole" child.

I also have issues with curriculum gaps (lack of "drill and kill" for math facts being one - some kids, like my ADHD son, simply need it). If I left the school in charge of math, my son would reach high school completely calculator dependent.

Might I also mention, while we're on the subject of math, that in my grade 6 daughter's class, they are required to use calculators rather than having been taught things like basic percent calculations. I could go on, and on...

...and on, and on... lol

Not to mention the fact that each teacher has my child for one year (usually). After those ten months are through, the teacher moves on to the next batch of kids and what happens to my child is no longer relevant to her. Meanwhile, I have the responsibility of ensuring that my child is ready for adulthood, so I see the impact of poor decisions later on.,/b>

Who's responsible? Me. Period.

Agreed!

X2

What is to give light must endure burning.
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Parents can choose to outsource some of their duty of care to outside educators, but they are ultimately the ones legally and morally responsible for providing their children with an appropriate education. Where the buck stops, there lies the power.

Yup... exactly. Well said.

The teachers, meanwhile, are hired by the district to teach one year's worth of curriculum. That's it.

Last edited by CCN; 12/31/13 02:32 PM.
    K
    K
    You're right about no school can meet the needs of every student. I know how hard teachers work and most teachers, at least in the area I'm in, are very, very good. But even with all of our state's mandates for gifted education, even with our experience with great teachers, I don't see how, with our current education, we can meet the needs of the gifted minds without bandaiding and scaffolding the best we can.

Nicoledad, it sounds like your situation is ideal, and really, if it's not broke...well, you know the saying. wink

I was very much hands-off for most of my dc's education. I starting sitting up and taking notice when last year I discovered, quite by accident, that my youngest ds's perfectionism had been holding him back. And my eldest ds, who is 24 and thriving now, almost didn't graduate from high school because he never had to work hard at anything and once he received a scholarship to the school of his choice, he decided he was done.

Last edited by KADmom; 12/31/13 02:30 PM.
    N
    N
    You're right about we probably have the ideal situation. Ironically, we live in Illinois where there are no mandates.

I
    I
    Well said, CCN! I agree about parental responsibility, etc.
    The teachers, meanwhile, are hired by the district to teach one year's worth of curriculum. That's it.
    While this may be what we've been used to, a change has begun and may gain momentum like an avalanche... teachers/schools may do more than teach curriculum. In striving to gain positive personal or institutional reviews and financial benefit, they may perform social engineering: following orders to ensure all students even out in 3rd grade, closing the achievement gap or excellence gap by capping growth of top performers, and entering data (which parents may not be privy to) into longitudinal data collection and student information systems. Teachers may conduct various student surveys and activities designed to coerce students to volunteer personal and familial information (including health, possessions, financial, psychological, social, behavioral).

Interested parents may wish to know who their state and federal legislators are, read the position statements on their websites, be familiar with their voting records, and be willing to contact them for clarification or to express their views on education issues of importance to them. Some examples may be: preserving homeschool rights, protecting student privacy, parental access to minors' records, and parental ability to correct records.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM