Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    I think what is a problem is not "allowing" children to have more choice. Really, if your kid is fine with it - no problem. My older kid probably wouldn't be fine with it. He's only in second but has been reading non-picture high level chapter books for two years now. I just don't think kids should unecessarily have their choices limited like that. It frustrates them and honestly it makes them hate reading. Kids should be permitted read books, period. That is how it was in my day and while I do not endorse much of my day I endorse that. No one FORCED me to read "only" picture books or "only" chapter books or "only" books about horses or "only" books about whatever. I got to read what I wanted to read.

Last edited by Irena; 12/17/13 02:30 PM.
    I'm with Irena on this one. I've had to intervene several times on my DD8's behalf. I've told them that DD should not be prevented from accessing any book in the school library that she wants to read.

The last time I said it, she was in 1st grade, and when I brought it to their attention, they assessed her reading and comprehension levels, then increased her access to different color-coded levels that included the ones she had been reaching for. They also had a librarian who would allow a child to bring her a book they normally had no access to, read a few paragraphs, ask a few questions, and let the child have it if they did so satisfactorily.

Now they have a new librarian, and DD is complaining again. The only reason I haven't intervened is because DD's gifted language arts teacher has a small library in the classroom, and DD has found books she wants in there.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Irena
    I think what is a problem is not "allowing" children to have more choice. Really, if your kid is fine with it - no problem. My older kid probably wouldn't be fine with it. He's only in second but has been reading non-picture high level chapter books for two years now. I just don't think kids should unecessarily have their choices limited like that. It frustrates them and honestly it makes them hate reading. Kids should be permitted read books, period. That is how it was in my day and while I do not endorse much of my day I endorse that. No one FORCED me to read "only" picture books or "only" chapter books or "only" books about horses or "only" books about whatever. I got to read what I wanted to read.
    Agreed: A book which the teacher uses to work with the students ought not to limit students' choice for other reading. There should be no ceiling for the student choices in reading level. Student choice is important to developing internal locus of control and the student taking ownership of their education.

G
    G
    My first-grade brother is in a similar situation. His school librarian makes the kids work their way up from grade level on the AR (Accelerated Reader) scale by taking 3 quizzes in 5-month-or-so sections. It's really frustrating for us because he can get books from the library only once a week, and there's a limit on them. He's currently made his way up to second-grade level, but at home he's reading at at least third.

We also wonder what the school is giving them to read, for he frequently comes home with such gems as "Dinorella" (a dinosaur-themed retelling of "Cinderella"- where every word began with the letter "D".)

I
    I
    Originally Posted by gotmar
    ... he can get books from the library only once a week, and there's a limit on them.
    In our experience we found that the circulation of books through school libraries may be somewhat constrained by the amount of time which volunteers are able to offer, to help check-in and re-shelve books. This can lead to limits on the number of books checked out by a student, as well as limits as to how frequently a student may check out books. Do you have a public library nearby? That may be another option for more frequent book choice, and also getting books in higher quantities.

Originally Posted by gotmar
    ... We also wonder what the school is giving them to read, for he frequently comes home with such gems as "Dinorella" (a dinosaur-themed retelling of "Cinderella"- where every word began with the letter "D".)
    Have you asked him about the book? Was it entertaining? Did the whole class get the book to read while they studied the letter "D"? Was it assigned to one reading group? Did he freely choose it from a selection of books? What made him choose it? Was it because another child read it? Did he like the cover? This could be a wonderful conversation. It might also be fun to read the different roles together. Or write about something else he may like, using mostly words beginning with one letter. Our family found these conversations invaluable.

I
    I
    Reviving this old thread on picture books to add a link to a recent WSJ article which may be of interest -

The Secret Power of the Children’s Picture Book”,
    Even infants get profound cognitive and behavioral benefits from sharing a vivid story
    by Meghan Cox Gurdon
    Wall Street Journal
    January 18, 2019

The subtitle of this article reminds me of the benefits of reading to (and conversing with) the very young.
    Related information in an old post (Oct 2014).

In keeping with the theme of the OP, adding a link to a discussion thread on high-level picture books, for elementary-age students: Using Picture Storybooks to Teach Literary Devices.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM