Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 30 of 102 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 101 102
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    You decide to homeschool and the principal of your child's school just says, "how great!" (the real story is longer, but that is the jist...lol.)

We tried that and my DD's principle started making accommodations quickly to keep DD in school. Apparently threatening the test score average at our school was the way to get things done. But the good thing is they started working with us.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    M
    M
    your two and five year olds decide on what tv show to watch together by a complicated roster that includes making space for the third (oldest) child who is not always home/awake with them. And then watching them cry over an ice cream melting off the stick mere minutes later.

asynchronous much?

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    D
    D
    DD5: i am cleaning my room!
    Me: nice - i thought you were doing your school reading.
    DD5: oh, i will, but i am procrastinating by cleaning my room. at least it's productive procrastination!

ps - Madoosa, that is AWESOME collaboration. to include a person who isn't even in the room?? fantastic. stuff like this makes really me wish we'd had another, but then i look at her and think... uh, this one is enough!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    ...Within seconds of waking from a nap, your 2yo gives you a riddle you can't solve, then chuckles and tells you to keep guessing!

The riddle was: What creature is orange, friendly and not scary, and likes to meet new people?

Apparently it isn't any of the t-rexes or brachiosauruses from "Dinosaur Train", a tiger, a goldfish or tropical fish (clownfish or other), an oranguatang, or a howler monkey.

I'm now imagining a future 4yo DS making up riddles with physics or some obscure topic in them and me not even understanding the question!

ETA: After half an hour of puzzling, I solved the riddle. It was Dr. Seuss' Lorax!

Last edited by aquinas; 11/29/13 01:36 PM.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    N
    ndw Offline
    N
    You know you are raising a highly asynchronous gifted kid when....

A 5 minute bedtime conversation with DD 12 turns into a discussion on the meaning of the universe, time at the moment of the Big Bang, the roles of religion and science and whether there is crossover, String Theory, the nature of God and where thoughts come from. Then the next morning she bounces on your bed in her Pyjamas announcing she had her underwear on inside out and back to front all night and details the episode of Peppa Pig she has been watching on her Ipad.

Time to finally join this forum....

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Portia
    hehehe. The age of your little one is SO MUCH FUN Aquinas. Be sure to record that one for your books.

Just FYI - better get familiar with string theory soon.

That's good advice, Portia. Be back soon...time to hit the books. wink (haha)

C
    C
    I don't even know where to put this....

DS7 is obsessed about black holes and what it would happen if you were to go into one and has been for quite some time. I got Neil DeGrasse Tyson's "Death By Black Hole" out of the library figuring that maybe I could have some more answers for him rather than having to rely on DH (it's more his thing). I read through the chapter with the same title and figured this was WAY over his head but offered to read it to him anyway for bed. We've since been reading a chapter a night and he BEGS for it. I figured it would lose it's charm after the black hole chapter but apparently not.

Last night we were reading about the big bang. DS then proceeded to launch into questions about what was there BEFORE the big bang? I'm not qualified for this and he's 7 (and he's not even PG like many of you guys deal with).

Another one for "you know you're a parent... when" - last month DS had to do a science project on an animal. What does he pick - Mantis Shrimp. Google True Facts Mantis Shrimp youtube - that's what started it.

T
    TNC Offline
    T
    you are teaching your DD4 to play cards and when you ask what she thinks clubs should be called she shouts "quatrefoil...pffftt...no it isn't a quatrefoil 'cuz it only has three lobes, I'm so silly!" And then she proceeds to play fall out of her chair and roll around on the floor like a bug laughing!

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    ...you hear your 2yo mutter to himself, "My hypothesis was correct," as he plays.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    ...you hear your 2yo mutter to himself, "My hypothesis was correct," as he plays.
    LOL! Too cute! It is amazing how much vocabulary kids can absorb by osmosis and use correctly. smile

Page 30 of 102 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM