Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 39 of 102 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 101 102
    A
    A
    ...when your 8-year-old's "novel" has better grammar, wittier dialogue, more interesting social context, AND more actual plot than the fiction manuscripts in the same genre composed by actual adults that you're reading for a workshop.

C
    C

Originally Posted by Sweetie
    OOO that teacher would be explaining to me, the principal and my child why she didn't have time to give feedback for an incorrect answer so that the child could learn from her mistake. That is a critical factor in assessment. Teach/asses/feedback/reteach.

OH, lookie here, the answer is correct. I think you owe her an apology for not looking at her paper and going over the problem with her.

Yes, same here... I'm appalled that would be the response. I caught one mistakenly marked wrong answer on a test my son brought home, nicely contacted the teacher via a note sent back with my son (something to the effect of "we looked at this and can't figure it out, is there something new we are missing?"). She immediately sent an apologetic note AND must have told the principal, who also said how embarrassed the teacher was to have
    made the grading error.

your DD is totally digging the 1995 BBC Pride & Prejudice, but is young enough to wonder why the sisters Jane and Lizzie can't just marry each other, since they already love each other.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Anecdote 1:

Your 2.5yo arranges some toys on the floor in a pattern and proudly announces, "Look Mummy, they're symmetric!"

Anecdote 2:

Also, here's another DS2.5 original joke from lunch today:

Q: What do you call a disgusting cucumber dish?
    A: Puke-umber!

When I asked him if he disliked our Greek salad, he insisted the cucumber was delicious. Phew!

Anecdote 3:

The power went out tonight in our home.

DS: Yes!! There's no city light. Now we can go stargazing!

And so we did.

Eta--Anecdote 4

At the museum today:

Me: This is a diorama of the Forbidden City. A diorama in this case is a scale model of a place.
    DS: Mum, is the Forbidden City in China?
    Me (incredulous, as we'd never discussed this): Yes, how did you know that DS?
    DS: The writing on the exhibit looks Chinese.

I was surprised at the inference he made, as he doesn't see much Chinese writing.

Last edited by aquinas; 04/15/14 11:52 PM.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by squishys
    ...meanwhile, aquinas, my DS25m is throwing food out of the shopping trolley to distract me, so he can take off his t shirt at the supermarket. Worlds apart, you and I. Lol.

Oh, we have our fair share of subterfuge! I'd call that good executive function and theory of mind, squishys. The gap may be much smaller than you think.... smile

M
    M
    When your child's music teacher tells you that she's only read and heard about musical prodigies and she's starting to wonder is your child might be one. This came about after DD played a little song for her teacher that she made up but teacher thought SO composed it for her.

I have to admit, I didn't respond well. I should have said that I'm happy to see DD enjoying music and she's lucky to have such a supportive and encouraging teacher. Instead, I told her that DD tends to be a fast learner but that doesn't always lead to true accomplishments. Now I'm up late thinking if I should send her an email to do some damage control.

K
    K
    When your 4 year old asks, "How do you spell perspiration?"

S
    S
    When your 3 year old speaks in rhyme for over a half hour, while remaining entirely on topic, without making up any words and using words like "metamorphasis". He speaks so quickly, I think it may be the equivalent of an adult speaking for over an hour... He is on a poetry kick.

When he tells you that when he grows up he wants to be an inventor who also creates apps and games for phones and the computer. You respond that after he works hard and learns to read really well and do complicated math, he can learn to create apps and games for the computer and phone. He tells you that he already can... and you aren't actually sure if your 3 year old can or cannot do advanced level reading and math.

(Oddly enough this isn't a kid who really plays much in the way of apps or computer games. He is more of a play in the dirt kind of kid. Ever since we took apart a toy duck with a motor, he is fascinated by creating things and making things work. I think the app interest is along these lines as coding doesn't seem obviously mechanical. I know there are coding languages for kids but I didn't think we would hit this interest for another 5 years... The inventions he talks about are more whimsical and usually connected to some issue we are facing, like making a box you can drive a car into that will shrink it down to the size of a toy car so you can take it with you instead of hunting for a parking space.)

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    SAHM, that's one creative little guy you have! The rhyming would have been something to hear! I bet he'll be designing and building sooner than you might predict. smile

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    ...When you visit a farm with your DS2.5 and he's more interested in discussing the combustion in the engine of a tractor and inspecting trailer hitch mechanisms in a horse trailer than the animals.

...When he compares "Easter Bunny" footprints I left on the ground in his egg hunt to his rabbit stuffed animal's feet and declares, "The feet don't match the footprints, but you said this was the Easter Bunny, Daddy."

Page 39 of 102 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM