Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    1 registered (1 invisible), 0 Guests and 251 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Jenny04, JamesD, SandyC8, Fer, Dilan294335
    10865 Registered Users
    December
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5
    6 7 8 9 10 11 12
    13 14 15 16 17 18 19
    20 21 22 23 24 25 26
    27 28 29 30 31
    Page 32 of 102 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 101 102 >
    Topic Options
    #181839 - 02/10/14 02:22 PM Re: You know you're parenting a gifted child when... [Re: Madoosa]
    aquinas Offline

Originally Posted By: Madoosa
    Then tacks on, "oh and I also really relate to the red-eyed tree frog for some bizzarre reason"

smile

I'd love to hear the logic behind that claim! smile

#181841 - 02/10/14 02:26 PM Re: You know you're parenting a gifted child when... [Re: aquinas]
    1frugalmom Offline

Loc: Central United States
    Originally Posted By: HowlerKarma
    ... when you find yourself PUNISHING your whiny 14yo for outrageously claiming (after ten minutes of effort) that she is "just not good at math" when attempting to rock an A in this class on just 10 minutes a day...

You mean they still whine at 14? Great, just great!

I hope it all works out for her (and you)!

Edited by 1frugalmom (02/10/14 02:28 PM)
    Edit Reason: quote didn't show up

#181931 - 02/11/14 12:19 PM Re: You know you're parenting a gifted child when... [Re: aquinas]
    Madoosa Offline

Loc: South Africa
    Originally Posted By: aquinas
    Then tacks on, "oh and I also really relate to the red-eyed tree frog for some bizzarre reason"

smile

I'd love to hear the logic behind that claim! smile

I should ask him!

lol... I was trying to hide my giggles and grins - it's not our regular church, we were visiting a different ward (congregation of same church) as my niece was giving her first assigned talk in the main service.

#181932 - 02/11/14 12:20 PM Re: You know you're parenting a gifted child when... [Re: 1frugalmom]
    Madoosa Offline

Loc: South Africa
    Originally Posted By: 1frugalmom
    ... when you find yourself PUNISHING your whiny 14yo for outrageously claiming (after ten minutes of effort) that she is "just not good at math" when attempting to rock an A in this class on just 10 minutes a day...

This is exactly what I was thinking - I thought they would outgrow the whining and become a bit easier to live with

#181966 - 02/11/14 09:35 PM Re: You know you're parenting a gifted child when... [Re: aquinas]
    bobbie Offline

When your DS 6 (accelerated into grade 2) suggests that perhaps he would be better off in grade 5 as he has at least a grade 5 brain and is sick of playing with 7 and 8 year olds. And we are only week 3...(Australia) Going to be an interesting parent/teacher meeting on Friday!

#181980 - 02/12/14 06:42 AM Re: You know you're parenting a gifted child when... [Re: Madoosa]
    Dude Offline

Originally Posted By: 1frugalmom

This is exactly what I was thinking - I thought they would outgrow the whining and become a bit easier to live with

They won't "outgrow" whining until it costs them something when they do it.

In my DD's case, it costs $1.

#181984 - 02/12/14 07:02 AM Re: You know you're parenting a gifted child when... [Re: aquinas]
    Sweetie Offline

My son would be in debt because he doesn't have much money to begin with. And he generally only whines when he he hungry and tired. So I feed him and put him to bed like a toddler.

#182054 - 02/13/14 07:06 AM Re: You know you're parenting a gifted child when... [Re: aquinas]
    BrooklynMom Offline

This is my first day on this blog and it is useful already. My DD is 11. She has been "different" since the beginning. Excels at something (drew these amazing people-like figures for HOURS at 3) and then moves on. She learns German for fun (can't wait to learn Russian at her Bolshoi ballet intensive this summer) and Mandarin at school. But her perfectionism, anxiety, and will DRIVE US CRAZY. Help?

#182077 - 02/13/14 08:39 AM Re: You know you're parenting a gifted child when... [Re: aquinas]
    Loy58 Offline

Child returns home from school, shortly after finally starting the G&T program and says with surprise: "I learn something new every day!"

shocked

Hmmmm...makes me a bit concerned as to what she was doing at school before the program started.

#182205 - 02/14/14 12:56 PM Re: You know you're parenting a gifted child when... [Re: aquinas]
    HelloBaby Offline

Child told me school was hard because everyone was counting slowly and making mistakes that he was hungry the whole time counting.

Page 32 of 102 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 101 102 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Driving with Processing Issues?
    by Pemberley
    1 second ago
    Queen's Gambit, chess, and gifted children
    by mithawk
    Yesterday at 09:52 PM
    A Progressive Assault on Selective High Schools
    by Eagle Mum
    11/30/20 11:12 AM