Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    75west Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Anyone heard of IGGY (https://www.iggy.net/)?

It's a social networking site for gifted kids aged 13-18. It's based in the UK, but apparently kids have joined from outside the UK. It seems to be school-based at the moment, though this may broaden in time.

I think this would be a wonderful opportunity for many gifted kids, particularly those being homeschooled who have difficulty finding other gifted kids. I would jump at the chance for my pg son since he is a dual US/Uk citizen, though he's only 7.5 years old and being homeschooled.

Does anyone know if there is a social networking site for gifted kids based in the US??? Or is this IGGY the first of its kind??

22B Offline
    How do they verify the participants?

I
    I
    Johns Hopkins & CTY has had something called Cogito for several years that is an online forum and chat application for gifted kids. It was a lifeline for my D when she was in middle school (she just graduated from high school). She is still in touch with some of the kids she met there, one IRL and a few on other social networking sites now, although she no longer uses Cogito.

Here is a link. My D was invited to join based on her SAT scores submitted to CTY when she was in 7th grade. I don't know if you can just ask to join or not, but contact info is on the website. By the way, don't be put off by the Templeton sponsorship -- my D said there was never any attempt to stifle or direct their discussions in any way on the forums.

http://cty.jhu.edu/cogito/

75west Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Wow, thanks very much. I never heard of Cogito. That's fantastic. I'll definitely contact them.
    As for IGGY - it's primarily school based at the moment. A school or teacher confirms whether a child would qualify or not for IGGY.

I applied this weekend, but the site is programmed for confirmation and verification from a school. The website, though, says that homeschoolers may apply. From what I understand, it seems like you have to provide some documentation as to your child's giftedness to join IGGY. So presumably, IGGY would verify with homeschooling parents as to a child's gifted documentation.

My pg ds7.5 is so desperate to find someone like him who shares the same interests and thinks like he does. I'm waiting to get the test results for DYS and I do realize that this is where he may find that one soul buddy who ds7.5 can relate. In the meantime, it seems impossible to find that soul buddy or meet ds7.5's social/emotional needs locally or elsewhere in the physical world at least. He's got pretty restricted criteria here smile.

75west Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ugh. Duh, I didn't realize that Cogito is for STEM kids.

Where's the equivalent for the humanities crowd? My ds 7.5 is a serious Mesoamerican/history buff (at the moment).

I've been trying to gently persuade ds that he may find someone more like him in STEM, but so far he's been resistant to delve into it.

I
    I
    "Ugh. Duh, I didn't realize that Cogito is for STEM kids."

It isn't... at least it wasn't when my D used it a lot. In fact, she used to help monitor the discussion on the Philosophy forum they had at the time. I will say that 7.5 might be a little young for the chat groups out there -- I think there were more middle schoolers and early high schoolers out there when she was active.

Cogito is only available for kids >= 13 from what I can see on their website.

Become what you are
    75west Offline OP
    OP Offline
    IGGY is only available for kids 13-18 years old too. I contacted them.

Potential Plus UK (http://www.potentialplusuk.org/) is open for younger kids and does have international family memberships.

K
    K
    There is one more organization for gifted children i.e.
    http://www.nagc.org/
    The National Association for gifted children is an organization in US for parents, teachers, educators and other professionals who unite to address the unique needs of children as well as for those children who may be able to develop their potential with appropriate educational experience.
    The NAGC invest all of its resources to train teachers, encourage parents and educate administrators on how to develop and support gifted children.

K
    K
    Matching the curriculum of student is a big formulation of idea, process and infrastructure. Our education system needs to be restructured to provide educational opportunity matched to abilities, strengths and interests of the student. Certainly healthy communication among the students, parents and teachers will reduce the educational gap with the talent. Process skills like higher level thinking, creative thinking, problem solving and research skill may help educators for developing curriculum for gifted students. The nation's infrastructure to serve our high ability and high potential students is in urgent need of attention. Teachers are required to get training and professional development for gifted and talented education. Polcymakers have to review the policies on academic acceleration strategies which will begin to repair our nation's economy and infrastructure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM