Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    G
    G
    Well, that sounds like a good start! The need for a skip will hopefully become more clear towards the end of the year as student numbers come in for a 1/2 split as well has his performance in the 1st grade room. Here's to smooth sailing for the transition!

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Yes, ZS: doppelganger schools. It's an interesting combo.

One bummer is that it was confirmed for me what I already suspected: the PT math GT teacher they used to have at the school for the grade 1 gifted-ID kids is gone. I'm trying not to worry about math for now. Math seems to be handled in a more individualized fashion (less group instruction). Or it could be that his reading is just more obvious, or that switching him for reading AND math would just seem like "Why not a full skip???"

M
    M
    Our DS in 1st was pulled into 2nd for math and reading. In 2nd he went to 4th for math and reading and 3rd to 5th.
    In 4th we were out of curriculum for this school.
    We were pressed to skip to middle school. We were not on board with a full skip.
    We tutored with AoPS Pre algebra. No Magnet in our situation.
    The School district basically washed there hands if we didn't skip.
    We opted for a Private middle school for 5th thru 8th

As you can imagine I could write a book about it but kept it brief.

Sounds like you have a good thing going.

I will add, when we started 1st grade we told the school he was bright and we already had him tested SB5 the previous summer. On the other hand we wanted them to observe him and place him where they though he should be. They were wonderful working with us.

Last edited by mecreature; 12/05/13 07:26 AM.
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Update: first day didn't go so well. A couple of kids told him to "go back to kindergarten" and there were some other unkind comments. It sounds like this teacher may not be as strong on classroom management as his great K teacher. He is nervous about returning.

I sent a nice email to both teachers giving them a heads-up. Poor button. Hopefully it will be a small bump in the road.

Hm, that's too bad, hope it works out. Sounded like this split arrangement wasn't so uncommon in the school that it would come as a shock to the other students.
    Makes one wonder if the teacher prepared the other students, or even let slip some lack of enthusiasm on his/her own part. Have you met this new teacher? Maybe some further connection there will help with them keeping a better eye on things for this initial adjustment period.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    They do have K/1 and 1/2 classes at times, but this is a straight 1 class. I don't know if any of these kids were in a K/1 split last year; if they were, they were the K kids, of course.

This teacher was handpicked by his K teacher for this and she assured us she was absolutely the best choice. I have not met her, though.

B
    B
    DD did a full grade acceleration from K to 1 in late Nov. of the school year and luckily it went Ok. I don't think the 1st grade teacher told her class that DD was coming from K. She also talked with them extensively about DD coming and what they could do to make her feel welcome. She assigned two "helpers" to DD. The K kids seemed to have a harder time with it. They were upset about her leaving and couldn't understand why she got to leave and they didn't. They all claimed they were "advanced". I don't think the K teacher handled it quite as well. Usually there is an adjustment period and things might be rough for a few days. Hopefully it will improve for him.

From what I have read, the earlier a skip happens the better. Good luck to you all!

Become what you are
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Update: first day didn't go so well. A couple of kids told him to "go back to kindergarten" and there were some other unkind comments. It sounds like this teacher may not be as strong on classroom management as his great K teacher. He is nervous about returning.

I sent a nice email to both teachers giving them a heads-up. Poor button. Hopefully it will be a small bump in the road.
    BTDT. It hurts. Hugs to kiddo. Some accelerated kiddos/families and the teachers/admins who supported acceleration have experienced complaints from other kids/parents/families which in some cases may actually influence a school to reverse its decision. A reassuring presence to stave that off, these links from a well-respected gifted education teacher may help shore up the position for kiddo's academic advancement and accelerated placement... they may present talking points for yourself, the teachers, and admin in addressing other parents, and/or creating policy. For kiddo, the ideas may help instill a sense of belonging and a sense of doing something great to help blaze a trail which may benefit other kids who may need to follow a similar educational path.

Tamara Fisher, blogging for Education Week on Aug 24 2013 discusses that 'Same' and 'Equal' Are Not Congruent Terms http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/unwrapping_the_gifted/2013/08/same_and_equal_are_not_congrue.html

Tamara Fisher, blogging for Education Week on March 24 2013 discusses Ten Ways Gifted Education Has Helped Me http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/un...ways_gifted_education_has_helped_me.html

Tamara Fisher, blogging for Education Week on Sep 30 2012 discusses What it Really Boils Down To
    http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/unwrapping_the_gifted/2012/09/what_it_really_boils_down_to.html

Tamara Fisher, blogging for Education Week on Sep 12 2012 discusses The Right Fit
    http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/unwrapping_the_gifted/2012/09/the_right_fit.html

Tamara Fisher, blogging for Education Week on July 21 2008 discusses that GT is NOT...
    http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/unwrapping_the_gifted/2008/07/that_mythological_place_of_is.html

I highly recommend Tamara Fisher's blog archives. The above articles may also be an effective counter-point to Jay Mathews' recent opinion piece, "Why geniuses don't need gifted education".

Here's hoping today and each day going forward is a better one for your kiddo in his accelerated placement!

S
    S
    Nobody was prepared for DS's skip this year...we got a phone call one night talked it over and he started the next morning in the new class. The receiving teachers really didn't have time to react positively or negatively and the receiving class just took him in. He already knew some of them.

I have no idea how the sending teachers reacted. The sending kids were sad but I am sure over it by now.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM