Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Oh, I gave DS7 the Iowa Test of Basic Skills in April, and he aced it.

I'm not worrying about DS's performance, just my own! I know he's learning. I'm just one of those people who is constantly experiencing a war between laziness and perfectionism. blush

Thanks though. smile

Kriston
    There's no one correct way to homeschool. I often tell prospective homeschool parents that they need to find a balance between what their kids want and what they (the parents) feel comfortable with in terms of structure. If the parent doesn't feel comfortable going all loosey goosey, it sure isn't going to be a positive experience for anyone. Conversely, I know a Mom who was all excited about unschooling, but her son begged for planned lessons. He ended up going to a boxed distance learning program eventually, and then on to fulltime college at 16.

Kriston, you know your son has learned a lot this year, right? I don't see any reason for you to change approach. If it ain't broke...

Man, I was sure I had already responded to this again! Maybe twice... lol...

Anyway the short version is we fluctuate between the "off-on-a-rabbit-trail" style and a very "textbook" style. Right now we're in a textbook phase... But when DS has enough interests to fill a day we go with rabbit trails. Science fair season is a LOT of that (LOL) and the books can catch up later.

If you're both enjoying it and he's getting somewhere, there's nothing wrong with following interests!

Erica
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, friends. It does help to know that my "sloppy perfectionism" and the feeling that I'm fluctuating between more- and less-organized homeschool styles is pretty normal. Of course I know intellectually that there's no "right" way to homeschool, but then I have this friend who has her whole year researched and planned by the beginning of August, and I read this blog about planning the whole year in advance--complete with comprehension questions and science experiements...and I start to feel a little inadequate!

Too much time to think is obviously not a good thing for me. I am laughing at myself for being all insecure for my *2nd* year of homeschooling. I didn't worry at all about any of this last year. I had no time to plan and research, so I figured that if he learned anything, it was more than he'd have learned in public school. I felt comfortable setting the bar really low for myself, because even those low expectations were more than DS had been getting. But this summer, with the luxury of time, I was making myself a little crazy, I think.

Better now! smile

(BTW, I love your responses, Erica! Respond early and often, if you please! laugh )

Kriston
    Kriston - do we have the same friend? My friend has everything planned down to books and discussion questions etc.. I'm like "Wow I'm so inadequate." LOL

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ha! Yes, it's very nice to get the reassurance and pats on the back here that, no, I'm not actually a bad mommy because I don't know what we'll be doing next April, like some people.

Crazy-making! Especially since I am something of a planner. But then that laziness creeps in...

So I've come to grips with the fact that I'm a lot more of a fly-by-the-seat-of-my pants than those highly organized people when it comes to HSing, and that's okay.

I am going to try to plan a little bit of the year now, if only to make the start of school easier for me. But I'm easing up on my expectations. No more white knuckles! laugh

Kriston
    Kriston, if you had a normal child then you might want to plan your schooling in more details, just so you'd know if he was falling behind in any area. Falling behind in any area does not sound like it will be an issue for your son. And you have his ITBS scores in hand to reassure you of that!

Keep on having fun digging deeper into subjects that interest him, and get creative to develop them into unit studies that incorporate related subjects, you'll keep on doing fine!

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks! I appreciate the support more than you know. laugh

Kriston
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM