Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 180 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Since suicide is the ultimate self-harm, I will mention a book published this year, "Suicide Among Gifted Children and Adolescents: Understanding the Suicidal Mind" by Tracy Cross. A few pages are available online at Amazon.

thank you, Bostonian. i hadn't seen this book - i bet we could have used it last year, when DD was talking a lot about her wish to die. she has come a long, long way since then, but i will definitely be picking this up for reference and context.

you guys really are the most amazing support system. thank you, all.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    C
    C
    doubtfulguest, I must thank you for sharing your 'random child' conversation. I used that on DS8 last night when he started smacking his head over a math problem. He threatened great vengeance on the random child until going wide eyed when he realized he was the random child! I hope it sticks. Thanks again.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    this totally made my day, CoastalMom. i'm SO glad that little trick was useful for your son! i fully plan to remind DD of that "kid" as time goes on... i've got a phrase all ready to go: "oh! there's that random mean kid again - how about you tell her you don't need her right now?" i have no idea if it'll work, but at the very least, it'll probably get a laugh from DD...

PM me any time if you need an ear - this stuff is really hard.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    C
    C
    I like that follow up, too! I hadn't thought of the head-smacking in terms of self harm before seeing this thread. One of my favourite things about this site are the 'oh that's what that is' moments. I'll be following up with the literature recommendations from other posters - thanks for starting the thread.

Last edited by CoastalMom; 11/28/13 12:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    it took me a while, too - it was hard to separate what was simply an immature coping strategy from something that needs specific intervention, so i really hear you on that.

i was really hoping this behaviour would simply melt away, like all the other vestiges of last year's dreadful school experience (the depression/the anxiety/the suicidal thoughts) but it's the lone holdout. the light went on for me when DD articulated that she feels it's an effective strategy: so unless we find something to substitute for it... it's here to stay. (and that is NOT an option!)

N
    N
    I'm saving the "random child" thing for the next time it might come in handy! smile

When DS was 1, I could distract him from banging his head on the floor by pretending to bang his head on the floor for him and making big "boom" noises until he giggled. Now that he's 11, I can't just go over and bite his arm for him and make big chomping noises. Err...well...I haven't actually tried that, come to think of it -- it might be worth a try!

D
    OP Offline
    D
    that is an amazing mental picture, Nautigal (om, nom, nom!)

let us know if the laughter response still works - maybe we're on to something here!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    ... DD articulated that she feels it's an effective strategy: so unless we find something to substitute for it... it's here to stay. (and that is NOT an option!)
    Have you considered chewing gum as a strategy? Many people self-medicate with snack foods and when older with drugs, alcohol, shopping, even sexual behavior but these may have devastating consequences.

Chewing gum, taking a walk, meditating, journaling, drawing, doodling, cartooning, even developing a fondness for a soothing cup of tea may be beneficial and healthy strategies to practice when working through an impasse or frustration.

I've heard of one family who had a table reserved for jigsaw puzzles. When faced with a mental block, stopping to fit a piece or two into place on a puzzle (often over conversation with a family member who would join them at the puzzle table) seemed to provide renewed insight.

Because developing the ability to self-soothe is so important, there are even humorous toys like stress balls made with foam, putty, or micro-beads.

For others, I've heard that looking at and thinking about their past successes... portfolios, awards, scrapbooks, collections... may provide a much-needed boost and new approaches to thinking about whatever it may be that has them momentarily stumped or stuck.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    oooh, i like the putty idea! we can't do chewing gum because of all the headaches in the family (UGH) but putty is brilliant. i will try it for sure!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 04/16/24 10:53 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM