Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 154 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    I had a similar situation with my DS8 this year. He begged me to let him stay home on mondays when I am home from work and work on EPGY. He is in second grade but just started the EPGY 5th grade math. He always enjoyed school but began crying in class at the end of first grade and he was asking to come home. He cried before school for the first month of this school year. He has been diagnosed with anxiety by Dr. Spomenka Newman. His school has been working with him and he no longer cries in the morning. He is in a private K-8 school and I keep him home with me most mondays. It began as a mental health day but we both loved it so much it has continued. In fact, we are home together right now. I am a big believer in mental health days.

A
    A
    OP, give him a mental health day tomorrow. Just don't make any connection between his relucatnce to go to school and taking a day off - so as not to set up any expectations for repeats of those days off. Tell him that if he wants to work on school stuff with you (in your office or otherwise) he can do so for a change just this once. If you decide to repeat it at a later date, just do so and pretend it is spontaneous so that he does not connect it with issues going on at school or his sensitivity.
    When I am working crazy hours and feel that my DS is not getting much time with me, I do take a day off and make a field trip and lunch outing out of the day. I tell the teacher that I am taking him out of school to go on a field trip because he is in a private school and DS meets and exceed attendenace requirements all the time. Teachers have always been appreciative of it and have remarked that my DS was happier than usual after such trips.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM