Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    B
    bk1 Offline
    B
    Great idea. I've thought about audio or videotaping-- but why do you tell your child you are doing it?

How do you explain the DYS application? Or don't you?

bk1 #17230 05/30/08 09:15 PM
    Well, our camera doesn't have a red light, so I just turned it on, set it on the table, and ignored it while we worked on math. He didn't even know if it was on or not. Tricky, eh? (I didn't end up having to send this video, since we didn't go the portfolio route. But I think the technique worked pretty well, FWIW.)

I don't think seeing the kid mugging for the camera is a great idea, so anything you can do to avoid that is probably good. (Though I'm sure other kids have mugged, so it's also not the end of the world.)

Pehaps just filming A LOT would help. If s/he gets used to the idea that for a week, mom just always has the camera on, the mugging will end pretty quickly. And with digital, this is not a big deal to do anymore.

I don't think I kept the DYS application a secret from my DS, but I don't remember having a big talk about it either. I think we talked about it a little when we were going for testing. He was kind of sick of testing, and so I explained that if he did well, there was a chance that we could be in a group with other kids he might like. That was enough to get him back on board and made it so that I didn't have to explain what I was doing or why much. I just reminded him about the kids, and he was cooperative.

I don't know if that helps...

Kriston
    At the suggestion of someone from DYS I videotaped DS doing a crossword puzzle. I would never have thought of doing this as spelling/writing is not DS's strong point, but one of our recommenders noted that DS6 loves to do them. I think they want to see the "how" of what they do because they already have much of the "what" from the testing scores, KWIM?

Jool #17242 05/31/08 06:40 AM
    Jool, I think the crossword is a good example of something that would distinguish a 6yo HG+ child from an MG- child. That's exactly the kind of stuff you want to capture to show DYS what your child is capable of.

BTW, it's good to know that DYS is recommending video. Thanks for that. It made good sense to me and it's on their list of acceptable submissions, but it was really just out of my own common sense that I have been recommending it to people who are having trouble showing what their kids can do because of writing issues and the like. It's good to get DYS confirmation! smile

Kriston
    Keep Bloom's taxonomy in mind-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom's_Taxonomy

Probably not the best source, but it's short and I think pretty clear.

I love the idea of the dice to generate the Math Problems - I'm always looking for an excuse to use those multisided dice. Did you know that for about 10$ you can get them that go all the way to 100?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Isa Offline
    Speaking about anecdotical evidence:

We came from the supermarket the other day, DD, DS (22 months) and me. While I am putting the TV to DD, DS disappears into the kitchen and is looking for something. He comes back with three 'actimels' (taken from a package of 4), and gives me one, another to DD and another one for himself.

It was not random, he went deliberately looking for them and came with a triumph face carrying the three of them.

Isa #17582 06/07/08 07:06 PM
    Sweet!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM