Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #175703 11/23/13 10:06 PM
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    DS6 was recently diagnosed with dyslexia. Toe by Toe was one of the recommended resources for home use. We started it tonight. I was just wondering if anyone else had tried it.

It makes heavy use of nonsense words which is supposed to cut down on the good guesses common with 2e kids. It is a one book, one pencil, one kid and one tutor/parent method. The book was $40 and ships from the UK. They recommend 20 min. a day.

It starts with the sounds of letters and ends 287 pages later with what I would call real reading.

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks for the bump. smile

I will give an update too.

It is going really well. DS6 likes it. The basic set up is there is a skill introduced, then the skill is applied to nonsense words and then real words. The kid has to show mastery three times on three different days to move on.

So right now we are working on blends. There are lists of words that begin with a blend like "floor" or "swing". The coach/parent says the word and the kid says blend. I say floor, he says "fl". Then it moves on to list blends where I point to "fl" and he tells me the sound. Then he will read words like "flug", then words like "flip" individually and finally in sentences and paragraphs. There is indeed a reason it is called Toe by Toe.

Everything is in list format with a grid next to it mark whether it is mastered or needs more work.

This isn't the only recommendation for DS. He will also be doing an intense summer session at Lindamood Bell and will probably start seeing an Orton Gillingham tutor in first grade. We just wanted something we could do at home right now.

I think Toe by Toe would be good option for people with young kids who are unsure if there is a problem. The publishers say 7 is the starting age but DS is 6 and doing fine with it.

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Update -
    DS6 and I are still doing this everyday. It is really helping and his teachers have noticed. He now works to decode words rather than looking at pictures and guessing based on the first sound. The director of his school is so impressed by his progress, she bought a copy of the book and is going to recommend it to other parents at the p/t conferences coming up.

S
    S
    Good for you for working on this so early. This will make a huge difference to him in the coming years. My 2e boy was a great guesser and teachers didn't believe he couldn't read until 2nd grade, when I finally had him privately tested. I wish I would have been as proactive and insistent as you.

We hired a tutor 2x week for 2nd, 3rd and 4th grades (Wilson method). And his reading is about 75th percentile now, in 6th grade. It started about about 10th pct in 2nd. He's not afraid to read out loud and it's not an issue for him at all. So I'm sure your son will do just as well if not better.

KJP,

Sounds like a strong program that breaks it down into easy to follow steps and provides an easy way to measure progress.

Thanks for sharing this!

Become what you are
    I need to get this book. I'm at wits end, after DD7 started reading initially at age 3 but not progressed very well. Her teacher finally approached me yesterday about dyslexia and we know DD has ADHD hypteractive type.

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Just bumping this recommendation for other struggling readers and giving an update.

DS6 continues to make progress and is really learning to decode longer words.

Tonight he showed his Toe by Toe book to his grandmother. He explained how the book works, where he started, where he is working currently and what he'll be able to read when he is done. He seems to have really taken ownership of this process.

He actually said reading was one of his favorite subjects at school.

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I promise not to keep posting on my own thread but I wanted to share a conversation I had with my son tonight:

DS6: Mom, where did you buy Toe by Toe?
    Me: Amazon. Why?
    DS6: When I'm a parent I want to get it for my kid and teach them to read with it. I think it is the best way to learn.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM