Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by master of none
    I'd delve a little further. What is it that bothers her? When kids have meltdowns, does the teacher help them feel better? Does the teacher make it easier for the kids to feel good so they don't get so frustrated?
    For my dd, it wasn't the meltdown as much as it was the climate in the classroom that she felt wasn't supporting the vulnerable kids. Some kids can see the storm coming and they just get tired of the building anxiety.

Totally agree.

I would talk not only with the teacher but also perhaps with the principal. The kids who are having meltdowns are virtually guaranteed to be not having enough support. This is bad for everyone. If you can advocate for more appropriate support, everyone wins.

It may also be wise (this is for those kids and parents to decide) to have a process of disclosure where the class openly talks about what is going on with someone when they are melting down or struggling. We found that this helped kids not be scared and show appropriate empathy, which in turn helps everyone.

DeeDee

I'd like to add myself to the "school made me miserable" list. smile

My parents felt that I needed to learn to "toughen up" and deal with the world; but, being exposed to unpleasant things all day just made me more sensitized and intolerant of minor discomforts.

As an adult, I've learned to respect my limits when it comes to emotional and sensory stimuli. Otherwise, my physical and mental health really suffer. Over time, I have found some social and work environments that are mostly comfortable, most of the time. These are my home bases. Now that I have these in place, I find that I am more and more capable of coping with challenges. I feel that the momentum has slowly shifted from downward spiral to upward spiral.

It would have been great to build in that direction from an earlier age!

P
    P
    It does sound lime either there are kids in the class who need more help or the teacher is pretty bad. Kids do melt down sometimes but it shouldn't be happening daily. She may be like me in that when something bad happens and she is there she feels she should have been able to prevent it, she may want to protect the child from the teacher ir other children and can't , she may feel she has to fix things (I always want to fix aguements between family and friends - even when they don't have a problem), she could just be exhausted by the environment. You need to try and get her to work out what would fix the problem - and if that is something that can be done.

But please if it is in your power to do so don't let her be crushed by school.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by 22B
    The noise and disruption is just an inconvenience. What really matters is, is she learning at her own preferred pace and being intellectually challenged. If not, you need to consider alternatives.

I disagree with the first part of this. Noise and disruption is more than just "an inconvenience" for some of us. Even if the material is at the perfect level for the learner, it can be nigh well impossible to focus on it if your neighbor is chattering, some kid in the back is yelling, or the teacher frequently stops to reprimand someone.

As an adult, I wouldn't tolerate noise and disruption in my classes, so why should a child be asked to get used to it?

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by KnittingMama
    Originally Posted by 22B
    The noise and disruption is just an inconvenience. What really matters is, is she learning at her own preferred pace and being intellectually challenged. If not, you need to consider alternatives.

I disagree with the first part of this. Noise and disruption is more than just "an inconvenience" for some of us. Even if the material is at the perfect level for the learner, it can be nigh well impossible to focus on it if your neighbor is chattering, some kid in the back is yelling, or the teacher frequently stops to reprimand someone.

As an adult, I wouldn't tolerate noise and disruption in my classes, so why should a child be asked to get used to it?

I suppose my view of a bad school sitution (apart from innapropriate academics) is being in constant fear of being physically assaulted, having that fear realized countless times, and living with a culture of absolute silence enforced not only by students but by the staff. Mere classroom noise seems utterly petty and trivial by comparison.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    I was able to talk to DD's teacher yesterday. The teacher said that it had in fact been an especially "bad" week for behavior in the classroom. She was attributing the bad behavior to the upcoming Thanksgiving break. So, she said that she has started giving students who make good behavior choices the chance to have ipad time in the morning or at the end of the day. According to the teacher, yesterday was a pretty good day, because some of the "usual suspects" were ill.

DD is sensitive to noise. Still can't use a bathroom with the dreaded "Accelerator" hand dryers!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Gardengirl09
    DD is sensitive to noise. Still can't use a bathroom with the dreaded "Accelerator" hand dryers!
    I feel badly for her as this must be very limiting. It may be an area to delve into further and explore potential causes. For example I've heard of similar responses from children who were adopted from desperate conditions, including orphanages in devastated areas, who subsequently needed help processing some things including loud sounds. On the other hand, I'm aware that sensitivity to noise can sometimes be an indication of ear infections which left undetected and untreated have lead to permanent decrease in hearing, even deafness.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by 22B
    I suppose my view of a bad school sitution (apart from innapropriate academics) is being in constant fear of being physically assaulted, having that fear realized countless times, and living with a culture of absolute silence enforced not only by students but by the staff. Mere classroom noise seems utterly petty and trivial by comparison.

If your child has Sensory processing disorder, the noise and other distractions become a matter of learning everything or nothing.

I have a child who himself becomes a distraction if there's too much distraction.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Originally Posted by KnittingMama
    Originally Posted by 22B

TRUE, but everything is relative and the fact that things could be worse doesn't mean you should tolerate what is bad.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM