Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by jack'smom
    Our school district requires a 96th percentile or above on the OLSAT in third grade. They rank the kids by scores; my son got a 99 on all 3 parts (total, language, math). However, only kids with a 97-98% or above could actually get in, since they don't have enough spots.
    This year, they now do a lottery to get in, so if you have 96% or above, you go into the lottery.
    It runs one grade level ahead in math and, for my son, two grade levels ahead in vocab, more writing. At least it is something.

I hate the lottery system. Places should be allocated on qualification/need not chance. How can it be fairer if everyone who qualifies gets an equal chance if some with a fsiq > 99.9 misses out while someone at 96 gets in?

How about we allocate for special needs the same way. We will give an aide to someone who has a mildish impairment but not to the person with severe autism. I would not necessarily be against that for sport though. Everyone who wants to play in the top grade and can pass a fitness test and a basic achievement test for ball skills could be eligible for the lottery. The first (15 for rugby, 11 for soccer etc) drawn would be the starting lineup and the next x number the reserves. Sports are far too important for that sort of nonsense though I guess.

Last edited by puffin; 11/16/13 11:51 PM.
    Q
    Q
    After putting three children through the elementary gifted program, I still don't know exactly how the criteria works. There are all these documents that lay out what to look for and there is suppose to be a file on each child from K until the official program begans in 3rd grade, but the bottom line is that it is kind of fuzzy. All three of my children were in the unofficial stand-alone gifted class in first and second grade based on teacher observations and various testing. Interestingly, you don't have to have the GT label to be in the gifted program. My oldest, who had the IQ score and an almost perfect national standardized achievement test score in 2nd grade, did not get the designated GT label in 3rd grade but he was always placed in the stand-alone GT class for 3rd through 5th grade. The issue was that he was 2E and while he demonstrated the GT ability, he didn't demonstrate the GT achievement in the classroom.

Honestly, with the perspective of years, I can't say that it is completely wrong. The actual performance does matter and high performers deserve the opportunity to apply themselves while test scores are just numbers on a given day. Interestingly, at one point, I tried to pull my oldest 2E DS from the GT program, but was persuaded by the assistant principal that he would be worse off in the regular classroom.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    delete

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM