Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 47 of 131 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 130 131
    A
    A
    Looks like she's going to appreciate your namesake taste in literature, then, doubtfulguest!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    C
    C
    So the other day my DD9 came out of her psychiatrist's office wanting to go to Sonic to get a shake and since she was doing so well with all the stuff going on this week I said sure. While we are there and drinking our shakes we start talking about science and the different types of scientists. I explained that if a word ends with ology it means it is some kind of field of study, such as Biology, Archeology, Paleontology, Anthropology, etc. Her older cousin wants to become a Marine Biologist and she asked if that meant he was going to be a Marine Scientist. I said yes that's right.

Somehow this lead to a conversation on Autobiographies (Yeah I am not sure of the leap on that one either) and she asked if there was a science that studied people who wrote books about themselves? Then I had to ask her if that would be a science that studied the people who wrote the books, or the study of the books themselves because they weren't always the same thing even in autobiographies.

Which led to a discussion about the difference in how we perceive ourselves and how others perceive us. All this over shakes at Sonic on a Friday afternoon when I am already exhausted from work and being sick this week. There really is no rest for a parent of a gifted child.

Oh and on top of that she wants to enter a writing contest for the Counseling center she goes to that explains how they have helped her through her anxieties this year. Especially considering one of her anxieties revolved around writing. Suddenly she is writing all the time now. (Apparently the medication is working.)

LOL that was just one day of this crazy week. I have to say that I love seeing this happier, less stressed daughter.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    A
    A
    DS2 just came out with this statement: "Everything dies. Boys die. Girls die. Mums and Dads die. Eventually everyone dies." He said it so casually and with a matter-of-fact tone.

I affirmed that it was true that all living things die, but stressed that it would be a really, really long time before we're affected. I asked him where he got the idea from and he said, "Aligator Pie", a book of poetry. There's one line that says, "Alligator pie; if I dont get some I think I'm going to die." Somehow he generalized it. Definitely didn't expect to have that conversation yet. One moment we're building a tent out of sheets, the next he's turned existential on me.

M
    M
    Betty Bunny Didn't Do It

I borrowed this book from the library to talk about lying with DD. Her take on it was that Mama Bunny and Dada Bunny should have done a better job child-proofing their house in the first place. I told her to go to sleep.

Last edited by Mana; 11/19/13 08:58 PM.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    One moment we're building a tent out of sheets, the next he's turned existential on me.

And aren't you glad that you were prepared?

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Mana
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    One moment we're building a tent out of sheets, the next he's turned existential on me.

And aren't you glad that you were prepared?

Ha! We're talking prepared as in, "brought a pair of flip flops on an Alaskan cruise", right? wink

22B Offline
    This is quirky and outside the box, but it is not behavior that makes one remark "Oh, what an intelligent child!"

DD2 can get herself a cup of water, but then instead of simply drinking it from the cup, she tips it on the floor and then crouches down on all fours and slurps it off the floor.

We almost never eat out, but at a family-tolerant buffet recently she was more civilized. There she poured her cup of water on, and slurped it off, the table instead of the floor.

Recently at home she got a loaf of bread off the table and put it on the floor and repeatedly jumped and sat on it until it was as flat as a pancake, and then crouched down on all fours and bit away at it with her mouth (no hands) like a cat or dog. (We have no cat or dog at home that could have served as a model for this feeding behavior.)

Has anyone observed this kind of behavior in their child.

BTW DD2 appears fairly intelligent, knows her letters and numbers etc., but has a lot of hilarious though crazy behavior.

ETA: Here's another one. If you're sitting on the couch, DD2 will stand on the couch, then yell "TIMBAAAA!" and, standing straight with hands by sides, will crash down onto you like a felled tree.

Last edited by 22B; 11/19/13 11:17 PM.
    M
    M
    22b - if you had a dog or cat your child would know to put their food and drink in a bowl on the floor and then slurp that up - like my child does :-).

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    22B - if you had a dog or cat your child would know to put their food and drink in a bowl on the floor and then slurp that up - like my child does :-).

If we had a cat or dog, maybe our DD2 would be a bad influence on them. grin

M
    M
    Well certainly the dog also vacuums the floor of lost food, but the kids, when "being a dog" always seem to use a bowl...

Page 47 of 131 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM