Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 213 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    I
    I
    Blackcat, would your DD be up for tutoring? My DS really likes his math tutoring. And I feel better with him getting it because many US math programs are so deficient anyway (we're not as bad as everyday math but we have envision, which I am told is not a bad as 'everyday math' but not good) . I have to say my DS still does it even though this year he did qualify for the advanced math group (maybe due to the tutoring?) as the advanced group is only twice a week and not much more advanced according to DS. The only thing that kind-of bugs me is that I have to pay tutoring charges and the school will get the credit anyway for the standardized test scores. (Speaking of that, and as an aside, I was thinking about all of the afterschooling/tutoring that goes in this district and the immigrant populations must have recognized right away the math was deficient b/c they all get their kids tutored in math, too; and, then, the school's state scores are "high!" But are they high b/c the school does a good job? I am not so sure - I think they are high b/c all of the people in this district have the means to get their kids taught properly when the school can't or won't. Everyday math, envision math, whatever - it doesn't matter b/c the majority of the kids in this district will learn math and score pretty well b/c none of these parents are gonna let their just 'get by' ykwim? anyway, just a digression).

Now that DS has the IQ scores and the achievement scores (regardless that he gets the achievement scores form being taught outside of school) things are better. I send in more advanced worksheets for DS to do in class. Teacher makes DS only do a few problems b/c she knows he knows the work and then lets him move on, etc. He has math pull-out twice a week. Now that he has the "scores" the presumptions seemed to have shifted, you know? It's a bit nicer.

Of course we haven't had the Parent/Teacher conference yet! LOL!

I
    I
    Oh and yeah - DS's school certainly has it's shortcomings but the lack of communication that you seem to get is just unheard of at my DS's school and district. At least so far at the elementary level. People DO talk to you here (even if you dn;t like what they say!) Teachers, psychs, principal, etc... everyone gets right back to you, they call, email, meet...

B
    OP Offline
    B
    She is going to take the achievement tests again in Jan. so over Christmas break I am going to hothouse her. I am going to get a 6-7th grade level reading comprehension workbook (the one she is doing right now at school is 3rd grade), and make sure she actually READS the directions and questions carefully and looks at all the answer choices. She read Harry Potter in 2 days, and other books that are a couple grade levels ahead and has no problem understanding. I think the problem is multiple choice tests. And taken at school at times when she's not necessarily fully medicated--it's just not a good situation.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Loy58
    ... have run across the criteria for various schools in trying to understand the criteria for my DC's school. 98% CUT scores for achievement testing seem high...
    Thank you for clarifying... when you mentioned this was higher than most you see, I was hoping you might share what you found in terms of a number? Now I think I understand correctly you were speaking of more of an impression or feeling formed, rather than a number or range of numbers you found? Please forgive me for asking again, but might you explain to me what you mean by the quality of the data?

A large percentage of the gifted population is 2e (I seem to recall a statistic of as high as 1/6th of the gifted population, I could be off on this, though). They are no "less gifted," than the rest of the gifted population.
    As 1/6th would be 16.67%, some may say this is not a "large percentage" of the gifted population.

2e Students with slow processing speed and/or low working memory (resulting in the calculation of GAI in addition to FSIQ) may not have the "gifts" of high processing speed and high working memory; They may have difficulty with a fast-paced curriculum. 2e kids may need or benefit from different instruction (detailed in an IEP), and may receive accommodations (detailed in a 504).

I understood this was not about labels but rather about teachers/schools/districts attempting to make the best match (or least-worst fit) between students' NEEDS/abilities and challenge-level curriculum, teaching students in their zone of proximal development?

Considering IQ scores for a moment (rather than achievement scores):
    Originally Posted by post from old thread
    What research indicates about identification procedures is that you should match the identification procedures to the intervention programs. That is, if the program is going to require a kid to do stuff that relies on WM and PS, don't use GAI for identification, because you're going to end up getting kids in the program who then can't handle the work, and you're going to exclude kids who should be in the program.
    This describes matching a child to a program. For any children who are not a match to this program, parents may wish to think in terms of meeting the child's needs by matching the program to the child.

"Earned" was perhaps a poor choice of words - "attained," is that better? I am feeling a bit picked on here...
    Please accept my apology if you feel a bit on the spot when I ask you to clarify things which you say that I do not understand.

I should have clarified, "my program," was meant to describe a program I would design (if I could be queen of the world, I am being a bit tongue-in-cheek here) and not the program utilized by my DC's school.
    I would join you if we could have EVERY kid at their own pace in each subject! Each child would have time and support to explore areas of interest, then there would be time to study other things we may need to know to be well-rounded. By every kid, I mean all levels, no one is excluded.

DC's uses different tests - so I do not think one can compare.
    Understood. Meanwhile our world is full of apples-and-oranges comparisons. smile

Actually, I believe that gifted characteristics (extreme curiosity, unusual interests) may INDEED go unnoticed if harsh cut-scores are utilized, without much other thought.
    I understand your concern. I have personally shared that concern, until over the years, many have communicated the existence of a bit of flexibility which may be available through teacher recommendations.

I do think that too many school personnel tend to still believe most gifted students will typically display compliant, high achieving behavior.
    That may be, and it is rather inexplicable due to the large number of lists of common characteristics of gifted children, easily found online, describing something quite different than that.

Many programs with "cut score" criteria (ours) also do NOT encourage the submission of portfolios or other data in their selection process.
    Agreed. This would be an advocacy effort.

Actually, such unsolicited submission may be viewed as attempting to unduly influence the selection process, so any such additional submission could backfire.
    Unfortunately there is always the possibility of advocacy not achieving the desired result. That being said, some schools may appreciate an honest attempt at advocacy when a parent may have evidence that the identification process was flawed, and that other credible evidence exists of the student's achievement at the requisite level. For example, this may be preferable to a lawsuit alleging bias, to letting a child fall through the cracks, to a family leaving a school, to casting aspersions on attempts to serve gifted pupils resulting in disbanding gifted programs.

Yes, the goal is NOT the label, as though it is an accomplishment. My point was more that some of the "intellectual peers of similar readiness and ability," may be missed by some of the selection methods being described.
    Thank you for clarifying. My point is that if a student was high in reading, not in math, they could be in a high reading group matched by readiness and ability not chronological age (for example, 6th-7th level)... possibly the same student would be served well in math with others studying 3rd-4th level compacted into one year... etc. EVERY student throughout the school could be served at the best match (or least-worst fit) for each subject.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Irena
    ... I became painfully aware that Ds's teacher was not interested in differientiating for DS... She told me she thought DS was fine and "just wanted to feel special" (she said this to me and about 13 other people on DS's IEP team) - she said if he were bored it was probably because he has adhd (which he does not have a formal diagnosis of )... The school psych then gave DH and I a list of family psychologists to go to for "family counseling" (we were still perplexed by that, but I am thinking now it was because they all thought that *WE needed DS to be "special"* and that *DS also "needed" to feel special* and that we all needed some serious counseling for this. Uh, yeah. Humiliating.) It seemed like no one really believed in DS...
    I am so sorry this happened. Unfortunately it is not an uncommon scenario. This could go on a teacher's hall of shame thread, alongside the recent post about teachers exploiting and humiliating pupils.

Someone who hears him speak may think I drill him on vocab words or speech... but the reality is he just absorbs it... However, exposure is still necessary. He just latches on to words somehow. Math he loves but he doesn't just absorb it from the environment like he does words and speech - he does need some instruction in it.

And, btw, isn't this what the "cougar" analogy/article is all about?
    Yes! Although it's a cheetah, not a cougar. All kids should get their antelope... the appropriate challenge to keep them active. IMO, there should not be a gate-keeper for this opportunity. ALL kids deserve to be educated at their challenge level. Including gifted kids.

In my district, you need a WISC IV of 130 and you get in - you could have dyslexia (and be in the bottom reading group), you could not be able to write, you could have dyscaculia, autism, ADHD, whatever... You get a GAI or FSIQ of 130 you're in. If not then there are some different ways based on lower GAI/FSIQ combined with achievement tests and teacher recommendations that add to points. However, it's my feeling that the school's emphasis is on the 130 WISC score.
    Once qualified for the program, what does the program consist of? What does the student experience in the gifted program?

L
    L
    Originally Posted by indigo
    [quote=Loy58 Please forgive me for asking again, but might you explain to me what you mean by the quality of the data?

[My point is that if a student was high in reading, not in math, they could be in a high reading group matched by readiness and ability not chronological age (for example, 6th-7th level)... possibly the same student would be served well in math with others studying 3rd-4th level compacted into one year... etc. EVERY student throughout the school could be served at the best match (or least-worst fit) for each subject.

For example, a "cut score" system would take one lower score - say a CogAT of 129 in a program that requires a 130...and that student is OUT of consideration for programming. In a system that looks at all of the data, an administrator might look at the WISC and outstanding achievement scores (lets assume they are very high, 99.9%) and give this same student another look because of the other high scores. Then this administrator notices the teacher comments, etc. You can switch the data scenarios around in different ways, but just because a student meets a program's "minimum scores" in all areas, doesn't mean this student is necessarily better suited than another student who had, say three 99.9% achievement scores, a high WISC, and one score (lets pick the CogAT) just a point or two below a cut-score. I believe some look at the data is necessary.

I fully understand how and why "cut scores," might have developed - but if administered without any thought or look at the data, they do not seem to meet the goal of finding the best children for the programs, IMO. Cut scores also sound like a nightmare for children that are 2e.

I would agree that all children are entitled to the best programming for them, yes.

As to the different subjects, I think this makes sense. The same student might have different needs in different subjects - I agree.

I
    I
    The only thing that kind-of bugs me is that I have to pay tutoring charges and the school will get the credit anyway for the standardized test scores. (Speaking of that, and as an aside, I was thinking about all of the afterschooling/tutoring that goes in this district and the immigrant populations must have recognized right away the math was deficient b/c they all get their kids tutored in math, too; and, then, the school's state scores are "high!" But are they high b/c the school does a good job? I am not so sure - I think they are high b/c all of the people in this district have the means to get their kids taught properly when the school can't or won't. Everyday math, envision math, whatever - it doesn't matter b/c the majority of the kids in this district will learn math and score pretty well b/c none of these parents are gonna let their just 'get by' ykwim? anyway, just a digression).
    Many agree this is a huge issue. Based upon a number of families paying for tutors, students score highly on standardized tests... teachers receive raises/bonuses for their supposed efficacy... district high schools receive high national ratings... then parents are asked to pay more in property taxes for the privilege of living in a high-performing district.

Kids without tutors may spend hours on homework, the old-fashioned way. On the positive side, they may develop grit. smile

New families unaware of what is driving the success of the district may move in or open-enroll to partake of the "excellence" and wonder why their kids cannot keep up.

I
    I
    Many agree this is a huge issue. Based upon a number of families paying for tutors, students score highly on standardized tests... teachers receive raises/bonuses for their supposed efficacy... district high schools receive high national ratings... then parents are asked to pay more in property taxes for the privilege of living in a high-performing district.

Kids without tutors may spend hours on homework, the old-fashioned way. On the positive side, they may develop grit. smile

New families unaware of what is driving the success of the district may move in or open-enroll to partake of the "excellence" and wonder why their kids cannot keep up.

Yes! I am just noticing this but this seems to be the case!

I
    I
    Once qualified for the program, what does the program consist of? What does the student experience in the gifted program?

Well, that is still a question that I can not yet answer! LOL It's just a twice a week pull out - an hour each time. I am not sure what they do exactly, but DS likes it... I am not sure it is anything all that rigorous.

J
    J
    Our school district requires a 96th percentile or above on the OLSAT in third grade. They rank the kids by scores; my son got a 99 on all 3 parts (total, language, math). However, only kids with a 97-98% or above could actually get in, since they don't have enough spots.
    This year, they now do a lottery to get in, so if you have 96% or above, you go into the lottery.
    It runs one grade level ahead in math and, for my son, two grade levels ahead in vocab, more writing. At least it is something.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM