Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 174 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I'd love to know what the minds on this wonderful forum think of the new learning environment in my district.

The kindergarten classrooms have been stripped of any toys, naps have been forbidden and kindergarteners are now required to sit through 90 minute ELA instruction, half of which is a powerpoint presentation. This is all Journeys based and teachers are not permitted to stray from the script (yes, there is a script) and they are to teach the same way, the same level, to all children regardless of ability.

There is something very, very wrong with this in my opinion. We are losing teachers.

Can any of you see any positives in this kind of approach?

If I had a kindergartener my first instinct would be to take him or her out of that school and go for a private school or homeschool situation.

Last edited by KADmom; 11/15/13 12:36 PM.
    P
    P
    Wow! That sounds the total opposite of what I'd want to see in kindergarten - I'm curious what your district is saying are the positive points, and why did they implement it?

I'm not a teacher, but I can only imagine how my friends who are teachers would feel about this... and it's not "positive"!

polarbear

D
    D
    well, that approach should surely reduce class sizes - you know, with what with all the families pulling up and moving to the next district!

also, yikes.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    S
    S
    No, there are no positives to this approach. This is what my local public schools do. They don't allow the kids to have recess either. Run like a madman away from this!

K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Polarbear, I'm not sure any info was given about this to the general public. It seems like this was sort of swept in quickly and thoroughly with the attitude that this is the way things will be. What I see as a layperson is there are a lot of banal, mind-numbing brain-washy type slogans such as "I can" statements, and that teachers of early grades have little control over their curriculum designs.

Last edited by KADmom; 11/15/13 01:20 PM.
    G
    G
    That is simply appalling.

C
    C
    Is this an all-day class? I suppose there might be something to be said for removing toys if they were replaced with useful manipulatives. The rest of it sounds absolutely stupid. Maybe they want to decrease enrollment? 45 minutes of staring at a screen seems to fly in the face of any good research.

What is ELA?

K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Language Arts. And yes, this is all day kindergarten.

Last edited by KADmom; 11/15/13 01:22 PM.
    K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I know from several sources that this is true. I think someone has already talked to a writer from the local paper. I don't know if anything will come of it because of politics.

22B Offline
    If all the classes are to be the same, why not just have them all in a single large lecture hall?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM