Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks, Cricket3. I will.

S
    S
    It has happened in my school district too and is happening in a lot of school districts. In my school district they use a program worse than 'Journeys' called 'Treasures', all in the name of implementing the Common Core. These programs are only useful if you have inexperienced and weak teachers in your school district that need a script to teach. A really good school with strong teachers will design its own curriculum to meet the Common Core from various sources including in house resources.

K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Okay. I've done some cursory reading and now I understand more where this latest trend is coming from and why: an extention of Headstart so that the achievement gap between the disadvantaged and the rest of the population can narrow (or as some wishful thinkers hope, close).

But once again, if we don't deal with the effects of poverty directly, such as safety and nutrition and parenting education, we are just throwing the latest trend at the issue hoping it will stick. Meanwhile, closing the gap means, whether intentional or not, lowering the ceiling because how else is the data going to justify all the money and energy spent to do so?

My apologies for any typos--on my phone.

Last edited by KADmom; 11/16/13 10:19 AM.
    S
    S
    Yep, programs like Journeys and Treasures lower the ceiling in a scary way for all children, but especially for gifted readers in the classrooms. The so called "above level' basal books in these programs are too easy for gifted readers, which results in gifted kids and advanced learners being left behind.

B
    B
    I think my kids are using Journeys. No wonder DD isn't doing too great on Reading achievement test scores.

K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    My ds is older. Last year he was in 5th grade and his teacher was required to use Journeys, but I think at that grade level there is more opportunity for differentiation.

Fortunately I didn't see any of that scripted teaching in his classes last year. And now that he's in middle school, I'm assuming he'll be free of it.

Last edited by KADmom; 11/16/13 05:47 PM.
    S
    S
    I hope the parents you know with kids in those kindergarten classes are pulling them out, banding together and making life hard for the principal and the district.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM