Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
    I had to read the whole list before I could add, lol! Great games and ideas here!

I spent almost every Tuesday last year playing games with my DD's second grade class. It was really enlightening, challenging and sometimes a little sad (when kids told me they had a game but no one ever played it with them :() Plus with the different levels in the class (the entire spectrum) it was interesting to watch their takes on the same game...

Some that we played were
    Headbandz-this is great for critical thinking and the yes/no rule helps them focus)
    Pictureka-(card deck) there are actually 4 ways to play this, again, lots of out of the box thinking, rationalizing and persuading others)
    Ratuki-another card game...cards have numbers one through 5 represented in different ways (a drawing of a hand holding up 2 finger, roman numerals, etc). You can increase the difficulty by having more piles going...players place cards one up or down from the number shown as fast as they can and when the "5" comes up, the first player to yell "ratuki!" gets the pile. This is very fast paced and can get a bit out of control, but it's great to blow off steam and teach them about different ways of seeing the same thing
    Candyland-ok seriously, I could not believe these kids were in 2nd grade and some had never played Candyland. But even a simple game like that teaches about sharing, taking turns etc and it can be great for an older child to occupy a younger with.
    Connect 4-huge favorite in our house and the classroom. Turns out of the kids with speech and reading issues was AWESOME at this game and he felt really good playing and winning.
    Guess Who?-again yes/no questions, hones observation and comparison skills, grouping...I have even played this with other adults and we make up our own creative questions (does you person look like a spy?) lol!

DH is teaching both girls 8 and 4.5 to play dominoes and chess. DD4.5 just likes to "help" Poppa with chess but DD8 is really starting to get it

DD8 is also really into her nintendo DS now...she has Big Brain Academy (all ages, even adults) and Super Scribblenauts (also fun for adults). We even purchased the companion guide for Scibblenauts. For the regular computer, she is working through "3rd grade Adventures" and really loving it, but I already put the next one in my cart because she's blowing through it.

We have Simon and Sudoku on my tablet and our phones...I'd like to hear some more apps/downloadable games on the Android platform? tia!

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Oh, and with Blink, you can handicap yourself to make it more fair.

I wish I needed the handicap. DS11 won't play me any more. I'm too slow. No challenge for him. I love the game, too bad.
    I usually deal myself more cards in Blink as well to make it less depressing for the kids. Dd11, who I suspect is much faster than her processing speed on the WISC would indicate (but just error prone), actually keeps up well with me in Blink now a days and doesn't need fewer cards to win about half of the time. Since I've been in the 99th percentile or higher on processing speed every time I've taken an IQ test, that lends credibility to my contention that she isn't truly slower the way her sister is.

U
    U
    I definitely don't need to handicap myself with the 8yo (she is a fast processor for sure). DS4--well, I haven't played him in a while so now I don't know anymore!

The card game Sleeping Queens has been HUGE at our house lately. DS can't do the arithemetic element too well, but that doesn't make much difference. I don't find the game a thrill, exactly, but it's tolerable. I have seen other kids love it, so it isn't just my two. I don't remember if I mentioned the card game Ruckus upthread--that one really IS fun, and playable by nonreaders.

Since I just mentioned it in another thread about the cognitive benefits of computer gaming:

The Simpsons - Hit and Run

Last edited by Dude; 03/07/12 09:44 AM. Reason: link
    L
    L
    My DGS mastered all the levels of MarbleBlast through intermediate at age 4. He is now 6 and bored with it. I can't play the game at all so I was pretty impressed.

Last edited by leahchris; 03/07/12 09:58 AM. Reason: I forgot to put the name of the game in!
    M
    M
    Our newest find is Smart car
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TGVP64/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img

My 5 yr old son enjoyed it.

M
    M
    You have to add Crayon Physics to your computer game list.

We are having a lot of fun playing poker these days. It is one of the few games where human players still have an edge over computer players.

U
    U
    My kids are total game hounds and I need to buy some more.

Looking for some more recs for good ones that we can all play together (DD 8, DS 4, and parents). DS can read at about a second grade level (real second grade, not like what our kids read when in second grade!) but can't really write or draw reliably yet. He can do basic addition/subtraction but nothing past facts to 10, really. He plays chess about like an average 6yo would, if that gives you an idea, and has patience to sit and play a game for about an hour. He is okay with losing most of the time but obviously it's better to get games with a luck elelment so he doesn't always get trounced.

Games we already have and like that he can play include:

Sleeping Queens (some of the math is lost on him but it works anyway)
    Rat a Tat Cat
    Blink
    Connect 4
    Uno
    Spot It
    Rummikub (card version)
    Ruckus
    Pictureka (card version)
    Cranium Cadoo (marginal due to drawing questions)
    Quelf Jr.
    Chess
    Checkers

Considering buying:
    Clue
    Othello
    Sorry

I recently bought Forbidden Island, a cooperative game, but am saving it for a literal rainy day.

Last edited by ultramarina; 06/19/12 06:40 AM.
    D
    D
    If you will help him add, try Yahtzee?

DeeDee

Some of DS6's favorites right now are Rush Hour, Jr. and Scrambled States of America. He also loves to play a million different online puzzle-type games.

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM