Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 211 of 268 1 2 209 210 211 212 213 267 268
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Lovemydd
    Mom, let us call the book The Mystery of the Missing Seven, written and illustrated by DD.

Two and four coming through
    What comes next six and eight
    And then comes ten lappy looze (with a z mom)
    All numbers even looking for seven.

oh my goodness, Lovemydd...not only is that adorable, but my numbers-obsessed DS3.5 would LOVE that. I am definitely reading it to him tomorrow morning. (he carries around numbers like stuffed animals - they have personalities, and he draws number people doing things like playing on the playground, etc etc...this is RIGHT up his alley wink )

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Marnie
    Originally Posted by Lovemydd
    Mom, let us call the book The Mystery of the Missing Seven, written and illustrated by DD.

Two and four coming through
    What comes next six and eight
    And then comes ten lappy looze (with a z mom)
    All numbers even looking for seven.

oh my goodness, Lovemydd...not only is that adorable, but my numbers-obsessed DS3.5 would LOVE that. I am definitely reading it to him tomorrow morning. (he carries around numbers like stuffed animals - they have personalities, and he draws number people doing things like playing on the playground, etc etc...this is RIGHT up his alley wink )

so i read it to him this morning...he was super excited and wanted to write one too:

ouik wiop went to count
    there were 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 10
    but 9 was missing!

(he wrote this himself on the computer, so don't ask me who Ouik Wiop is...besides the fact that he is a fan of making up silly names for people/things)

i say we start a poem chain with our little ones wink

K
    K
    Since this is just a total proud brag moment for me, I feel like I can share this in this thread.

Went to DD9's first 4th grade Parent Teacher Conference (public school, no G&T offerings) and her teacher just could not say enough nice things about her. Her 4th grade teacher is truly amazing. Unlike all other teachers in her past (who were great, but just not above and beyond) she is willing to differentiate between the kids learning abilities and offer more challenging work when necessary, which has made DD's school year very exciting for her.

Not only is she able and willing to do this for her (without me even asking, I gave up asking two years ago) she acknowledged DD's intelligence, which no one has ever been willing to do. It felt AMAZING just to hear an educator validate what I experience every day.

She told me to hang in there with DD this year, she will challenge her, I should continue to enrich DD and next year they will give her placement tests for accelerated course work in Math and Science.

Feeling relieved, happy, and proud today!

L
    L
    Marnie, LOVE your ds's poem. My dd and your ds would make a great team for they both love making silly words.
    Kelly0523, congratulations. Very happy for you. I had a meeting like that with dd's teacher last year so know exactly how you feel. It is so good to get that validation from your dc's educators.

U
    U
    DS5 almost beat his grandfather in chess last night. He took Gpa's queen early on and got a number of other powerful pieces as well (came out ahead on points), but made an error late in the game when trying to checkmate and left his king momentarily unprotected. Grandpa was an extremely good player back in the day (played for his university's chess team) and is mentally still 100% there. He DOES NOT go easy on children, ever, and I could tell he was mortified to lose that queen and very relieved to win!

C
    C
    Discovered last night that my DS6 can multiply in his head faster than I can. We were playing math games in the car amd had to slow down several times because I couldn't keep up. I'm not "bad" at math- spent nearly ten years writing and managing budgets in the 10s of millions.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by cammom
    Discovered last night that my DS6 can multiply in his head faster than I can. We were playing math games in the car amd had to slow down several times because I couldn't keep up. I'm not "bad" at math- spent nearly ten years writing and managing budgets in the 10s of millions.

I can multiply just fine and quickly...I can't multiply or do any kind of math thinking/manipulating while driving. Driving must use or shut down my math neurons. I will pass back my phone and tell them to use the calculator rather than try mental math while driving.

I also am horrible if I think everyone is looking at me and judging my mental math (which is just fine if I am sitting at a desk by myself)...put on the spot and my math computations shuts down....now put on the spot to explain a concept, no problem but 8+6 with 4 people looking at me, I want to crawl under a rock.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    U
    U
    Well, DS5 DID beat his grandpa at chess--twice. Dang.

U
    U
    They played many games over the visit and Grandpa did win all but two. Still! I can't believe he won at all. Grandpa reports that DS has an extremely aggressive center game and that he is using real openings (I don't know where he learned these--maybe at chess club). He still needs to improve his end game and be careful not to be so aggressive that he forgets to defend his king. I can't even tell you what DS is doing with his game at this point--he's so far beyond me--so it's nice to get someone else's take on it.

U
    U
    There is no hope for me regarding chess--seriously. DH and DD play DS a lot, but he is better than both of them; however, not a lot better. Both of them are working hard to try to keep up! I catch DH doing chess puzzles on his phone at all hours.

Page 211 of 268 1 2 209 210 211 212 213 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM