Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #174756 11/14/13 09:29 PM
    OP Offline
    Interesting reading:-

link

Does anyone have access to the 1991 paper that claimed that public universities teach just as well as the private ones?

Admittedly it's old (1991) but still...

I am wondering whether more A's are given out at selective schools simply because the people attending them are averagely brighter and therefore more likely to master the material not that that is a study that would ever get funded - the equivalent of blasphemy in the side the Looking Glass that we all find ourselves at today.

Become what you are
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    Does anyone have access to the 1991 paper that claimed that public universities teach just as well as the private ones?
    Rather than a paper, this may be a reference to the book
    How College Affects Students: Findings and Insights From Twenty Years of Research,
    by Ernest T. Pascarella and Patrick T. Terenzini, 1991.

Sequel:
    How College Affects Students, Volume 2: A Third Decade of Research was published in 2005.

Prequel:
    A book similarly reviewing the research about 20 years prior, in 1969: The Impact of College on Students, Feldman and Newcomb.
    Note: Feldman and Newcomb also had a work published in 1994.

In this landmark work, Kenneth Feldman and Theodore Newcomb review and synthesize the findings of more than 1,500 studies conducted over four decades on the subject. Writing in 1991, Ernest Pascarella and Patrick Terenzini maintained that The Impact of College on Students not only provided the first comprehensive conceptual map of generally uncharted terrain, but also generated a number of major hypotheses about how college influences students. They also noted that Feldman and Newcombe helped to stimulate a torrent of studies on the characteristics of collegiate institutions and how students change and benefit during and after their college years from college attendance. The Impact of College on Students is now a standard text in graduate courses as well as a standard and frequently cited reference for scholars, students, and administrators of higher education. Much of what we understand about the developmental influence of college is based on this work.

Related thread/post: How College Affects Students

BTW, the "missing link" from the OP appears to be archived here:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20100801000000*/http://i.bnet.com/blogs/grade-inflation.pdf

B
    B
    When I was in grad school in the late 90's I was a teaching assistant (large public university--not particularly selective) and had to grade research papers. There were 200 students in the class, each with a 5 page paper, so that was fun. The prof insisted I grade on a bell curve with almost everyone getting C's and almost no one getting A's. The students weren't too happy with me.
    I also have to say that they deserved the grades that they got! Most students couldn't write grammatically correct sentences, much less coherent paragraphs or whole papers. Yikes--it was difficult wading through all of that.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM